Chapala.com Webboard

killing healthy trees

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

I am a tree hugger. Do you know that trees can communicate with each other? Newly discovered that tomatoes warn each other of danger. Killing a mature ficus or palm is the equivalent of poisoning your neighbor's bothersome dog. Bad Karma.

About 2 months ago I had to relocate a large bush/tree which has beautiful green and mixed yellow leaves. I did my best not to damage the root system and immediately replanted in a pre dug hole. Within a half an hour all the leaves sagged. within 2 days it looked dead. But with the current rain it has started to sprout new leaves. I had no idea a plant could react so quickly to a change.   

8 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

About 2 months ago I had to relocate a large bush/tree which has beautiful green and mixed yellow leaves. I did my best not to damage the root system and immediately replanted in a pre dug hole. Within a half an hour all the leaves sagged. within 2 days it looked dead. But with the current rain it has started to sprout new leaves. I had no idea a plant could react so quickly to a change.   

If a still planted plant hasn't starved of water but leaves are drooping watering while have it rebounding in 15-30 minutes. Transplanting you need to keep the roots area well watered like trying to get an avocado seed to sprout in a glass of water or other trimmings to sprout roots. The plant is going to live off of it's internal stores as much as it can till root structures are healthy enough. Sometimes to keep a plant from eating itself alive it's best to trim some leaves so that it's requirements aren't as high while recovering from being transplanted.

14 hours ago, Stream said:

If a still planted plant hasn't starved of water but leaves are drooping watering while have it rebounding in 15-30 minutes. Transplanting you need to keep the roots area well watered like trying to get an avocado seed to sprout in a glass of water or other trimmings to sprout roots. The plant is going to live off of it's internal stores as much as it can till root structures are healthy enough. Sometimes to keep a plant from eating itself alive it's best to trim some leaves so that it's requirements aren't as high while recovering from being transplanted.

Many thanks for this information. Its funny, because intuitively, I cut back some of the branches with the thinking that if the roots had less "family members" to feed it would recover and it did. ☺️

1 hour ago, HoneyBee said:

Many thanks for this information. Its funny, because intuitively, I cut back some of the branches with the thinking that if the roots had less "family members" to feed it would recover and it did. ☺️

You know how avocado trees flowering have hundreds of flowers but since male and female trees open at different times it make it hard for making pollination? Fruit trees are favored over avocado so if you mist a light solution of 1:4 honey to water on the avocado flowering areas you'll get the bees to pollinate much more than usual. You should get loads of fruit. Figures to work with other fruit trees too.

• Thanks 1