Chapala.com Webboard

FRAUDULENT CREDIT CARD CHARGES - SAN ANTONIO TLYACAPAN RESTAURANT

Carnivore

On July 7th we attended a fairly well known restaurant in SAT.  On paying our bill the waiter used his telephone to process the charge and gratuity on my Mexican credit card.  At one point he actually asked for the card which I provided.  Of course, as he was using his own phone, no receipt was provided and, stupidly,  I thought no more about it.  However, on the 12th of July a charge was processed on my credit card  and identified as CLIN CABEZA Y CUELLO CHAPALA JAL in the amount of $870.00MN.  On contacting our bank I was advised to cancel the card and, fortunately, yesterday I received my replacement card by courier.  However, on checking my credit card account on line I noticed that although the new credit card account number was shown there was another "fraudulent" charge on July 14th that had not been posted when I had contacted the bank about the first unauthorized charge.  The secon charge in the amount of $1,100.00MN was identified as BP*RETAIL VTAS GUADALAJARA J.  Of course, I've again contacted the bank and that charge has been assigned an investigation and my new card remains in force.

However, on checking on the internet to see if BP*RETAIL has any further meaning it would appear that I'm not only person who has been scammed.  The bank officer that I spoke with today asked if anyone could have had access to the 3 digit code on the back of my original card?   

If anyone else has had similar problems it would be great to confirm the source and involve the authorities.  Our bank would also like to know if we make any progress and they have also assured us that they consider the situation serious!

Sorry this happened.  

For other cc users, remember that legit restaurants bring the Chip reader to your table.  If they don't, won't or say they can't, use cash.  I use cash locally, but on travels to other MX locations we use the Chip reader if they have one.  

1 hour ago, Carnivore said:

On July 7th we attended a fairly well known restaurant in SAT.  On paying our bill the waiter used his telephone to process the charge and gratuity on my Mexican credit card.  At one point he actually asked for the card which I provided.  Of course, as he was using his own phone, no receipt was provided and, stupidly,  I thought no more about it.  However, on the 12th of July a charge was processed on my credit card  and identified as CLIN CABEZA Y CUELLO CHAPALA JAL in the amount of $870.00MN.  On contacting our bank I was advised to cancel the card and, fortunately, yesterday I received my replacement card by courier.  However, on checking my credit card account on line I noticed that although the new credit card account number was shown there was another "fraudulent" charge on July 14th that had not been posted when I had contacted the bank about the first unauthorized charge.  The secon charge in the amount of $1,100.00MN was identified as BP*RETAIL VTAS GUADALAJARA J.  Of course, I've again contacted the bank and that charge has been assigned an investigation and my new card remains in force.

However, on checking on the internet to see if BP*RETAIL has any further meaning it would appear that I'm not only person who has been scammed.  The bank officer that I spoke with today asked if anyone could have had access to the 3 digit code on the back of my original card?   

If anyone else has had similar problems it would be great to confirm the source and involve the authorities.  Our bank would also like to know if we make any progress and they have also assured us that they consider the situation serious!

If the merchant is using one of the many available discount credit card processing devices that connect with a cell phone app they should ask  if you want a receipt emailed. If they don't ask then you should tell them you want one. 

15 hours ago, sm1mex said:

What restaurant. Help the rest of us who may use a cc. 

I can't prove what I now, definitely know happened.  In retrospect,  seeing the waiter actually examine my card, I now know that what has now occurred simply as a result of my carelessness in allowing the young waiter such access to my card.  He obviously was after the 3 digit code on the reverse of the card.  If someone else would respond to my post and report that they've had a similar incident or incidents in a well-known San Antonio Tlyacapan restaurant then I would feel far more comfortable in naming the restaurant.  If you "Google" the exact wording for the one fraudulent charge you'll have a clear "picture" of the extent of this problem:  The waiter would not be doing this on his own and is likely part of a well controlled and schooled net-work.  It appears that millions of pesos are scammed and can be traced back to this site.......and it's been happening for years!

BP*RETAIL VTAS GUADALAJARA J

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 9:13 AM, bmh said:

Go to the owner and explain what happened and threaten the waiter to return the money or you will denounce him. If he does not press charged against him at the MP:

Absolutely. Why wait for someone else to say they had the same thing happen?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Todas I just reported to my Bank a fraudulent charge by Clin Cabello y Cuello, but it seems to correspond to a payment I made Wednesday at the Image Dept. of the San Antonio Hospital . I just couldn’t figure who or what was that Clin Cabello y Cuello business! The bank is investigating this.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:28 AM, Carnivore said:

I can't prove what I now, definitely know happened.  In retrospect,  seeing the waiter actually examine my card, I now know that what has now occurred simply as a result of my carelessness in allowing the young waiter such access to my card.  He obviously was after the 3 digit code on the reverse of the card.  If someone else would respond to my post and report that they've had a similar incident or incidents in a well-known San Antonio Tlyacapan restaurant then I would feel far more comfortable in naming the restaurant.  If you "Google" the exact wording for the one fraudulent charge you'll have a clear "picture" of the extent of this problem:  The waiter would not be doing this on his own and is likely part of a well controlled and schooled net-work.  It appears that millions of pesos are scammed and can be traced back to this site.......and it's been happening for years!

BP*RETAIL VTAS GUADALAJARA J

BP Retail processes credit card.  We have put a charge  at a business and this is the name shown at Bancomer, when this was questioned at the business they showed us the card reader and on it, it showed BP ….   
you have to find out from them what person or company used your credit card.

52 minutes ago, Leticia said:

Todas I just reported to my Bank a fraudulent charge by Clin Cabello y Cuello, but it seems to correspond to a payment I made Wednesday at the Image Dept. of the San Antonio Hospital . I just couldn’t figure who or what was that Clin Cabello y Cuello business! The bank is investigating this.

What does this have to do with the OP post in July??? This person just joined this board a few minutes ago and already is making no sense...Pleeeeze!!!

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Leticia said:

That is how the charge showed on my credit card for a recent MRI at SAT Hospital lab. I assume that is the corporate/official name of the owners of that lab.  My cc shows, CLINICA CABEZA Y CUELLO   

12 hours ago, Leticia said:

Was your CC charged twice for the same amount? 

12 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Did you even read that post to which you refer? No, obviously not.

OK, you got me on a technicality, but I am still scratching my head since the OP was placed months ago on the La Cocina section here about a supposed CC scam at a local restaurant. However I do apologize to the poster for my sarcastic remark. Welcome!