Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Neighbor Problem


Recommended Posts

I am having a problem with one of my neighbors.  Her palm tree drops its branches and dead parts onto my fence, yard, or driveway.  I have spoken to her about this.  I have also written a polite letter asking her to take care of this.

She does nothing.  I went to the HOA with my problem.  I doubt that the Board will do anything.

What are my options at this point?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

I have the same problem. I just pick them up and throw them over the fence. 

When they drop, they bend my chain link fence and her plants are not trimmed back so more of the same.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The palm tree droppings are not hanging on my side.  They are on her side, however, when they fall, because of wind and weather, they end up landing on my fence or in my yard.  This is the problem.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the tree cannot be trimmed any further back away from your property, how about simply picking up whatever debris falls onto your property and putting it in the trash?  I own a home in a heavily forested neighborhood in the States, and cannot imagine how I would react to a "politely worded" letter from my neighbor asking me to keep my trees' leaves from blowing onto her property.  I doubt, though, that the letter would be received favorably.  Leaves and other debris from trees scatter.  That's nature.  In the interest of friendly neighborly relations, I suggest coping with it -- and I don't intend this to come across mean spiritedly.

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MexSeekin said:

If the tree cannot be trimmed any further back away from your property, how about simply picking up whatever debris falls onto your property and putting it in the trash?  I own a home in a heavily forested neighborhood in the States, and cannot imagine how I would react to a "politely worded" letter from my neighbor asking me to keep my trees' leaves from blowing onto her property.  I doubt, though, that the letter would be received favorably.  Leaves and other debris from trees scatter.  That's nature.  In the interest of friendly neighborly relations, I suggest coping with it -- and I don't intend this to come across mean spiritedly.

I have done that the past two years, but now overgrowth etc is damaging my fence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm guessing Zeb is not going to ask for this kind of help here again. Too bad.  Seems to me that he/she DOES have a right to protect the  home property/fence and has seemingly done the right thing first for 2 years.... contact the neighbor looking for a solution.... to no avail.   

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, RickS said:

I'm guessing Zeb is not going to ask for this kind of help here again. Too bad.  Seems to me that he/she DOES have a right to protect the  home property/fence and has seemingly done the right thing first for 2 years.... contact the neighbor looking for a solution.... to no avail.   

 

Your observations are accurate.  I am reluctant to post anything because someone invariably finds the need to criticize instead of help.  I don't know what makes people behave this way.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sometimes we all have moments when we’re at a loss, we’re frustrated and we share our feelings and what we hope to get back is…I hear you buddy, it sucks your electricity (for example) has gone out 5 times this week, that must be frustrating.  What’s not helpful, is someone saying…oh really, I don’t have any problems with my electricity, must be your attitude.  

If your friend, your neighbor, your kid, whatever, shares their feelings or frustrations with you, would you say too bad, the problem is you?

I hope you wouldn’t do that.  If you wouldn’t say it out loud to someone’s face, let that give you pause as to whether you should type it from behind your keyboard.  Remember the old adage, if you can’t say something nice or supportive or humorous, better to say nothing at all.  

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Dostortas said:

Sometimes we all have moments when we’re at a loss, we’re frustrated and we share our feelings and what we hope to get back is…I hear you buddy, it sucks your electricity (for example) has gone out 5 times this week, that must be frustrating.  What’s not helpful, is someone saying…oh really, I don’t have any problems with my electricity, must be your attitude.  

If your friend, your neighbor, your kid, whatever, shares their feelings or frustrations with you, would you say too bad, the problem is you?

I hope you wouldn’t do that.  If you wouldn’t say it out loud to someone’s face, let that give you pause as to whether you should type it from behind your keyboard.  Remember the old adage, if you can’t say something nice or supportive or humorous, better to say nothing at all.  

Rock on, Dostortas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zeb said:

Your observations are accurate.  I am reluctant to post anything because someone invariably finds the need to criticize instead of help.  I don't know what makes people behave this way.

Blame Covid

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Some people are just tired of those that are forever the victim

Well then of course attack them.... either with words or symbols.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many topics on here become nasty and critical and why is this necessary ??? I asked for suggestions on solving the neighbor problem.  If someone cannot be kind and helpful, I am not interested in a response.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your neighbour is inconsiderate and is unlikely to change. It is stressful to deal with and we had a similar experience on the coast. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do except build a very tall and sturdy wall... or move. You have my sympathy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Zed first you say the palm is droping branches, which in my gook is part of life... you pick them up and put them in her yard or dispose of them. . 

Then that the shrubs are damaging your fence, Can you ask her to let a gardener come in and cut the hedge back or the bushes back? That is what I do with the neighbors at the back. who let their bugam billia gtow all o our roof. THey have no problem as long as they do not pay..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...