Chapala.com Webboard

Neighbor Problem

Zeb

Without meaning to hijack this thread, I'm wondering what rights a homeowner might have if the root system of a neighbor's gigantic ficus tree is undermining the foundation of his house? (I am in the process of negotiating permission to access the neighboring property in order to dig a trench get at the offending roots, so this is not yet a dispute.) Just wondering.

• Like 1

IS there any room on    your side of the fence between wall and house? If yes,get someone to dig down below all the roots, cutting right through them  as he goes. It won't kill a big tree like that and will buy you quite a lot of time.  Might have to do it again but not for a few years.

You could make sure the trench is quite deep, and have him fill with cement, but guessing the roots would crack into that too so why bother?

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

IS there any room on    your side of the fence between wall and house? If yes,get someone to dig down below all the roots, cutting right through them  as he goes. It won't kill a big tree like that and will buy you quite a lot of time.  Might have to do it again but not for a few years.

You could make sure the trench is quite deep, and have him fill with cement, but guessing the roots would crack into that too so why bother?

Space between two walls in about 6 inches. So that won’t solve the problem. Hoping they’ll be cooperative.  Thanks for suggestions. 

7 hours ago, Natasha said:

Roundup is inactivated the moment it hits soil..... so no help at all with things underground.

I put a lot of that stuff in a grass area with weeds and 10 years later anything that try's growing there is scraggly unable to cover the ground with foliage. I think it's plants can get used to a light dose but a heavy amount the Roundup ruins the plant even if its respiration cycle takes the poison to the leaves. You right to think I don't believe a word of the stuff is biodegradable. 

6 hours ago, Stream said:

I put a lot of that stuff in a grass area with weeds and 10 years later anything that try's growing there is scraggly unable to cover the ground with foliage. I think it's plants can get used to a light dose but a heavy amount the Roundup ruins the plant even if its respiration cycle takes the poison to the leaves. You right to think I don't believe a word of the stuff is biodegradable. 

And not only is that crap environmentally awful, it has been shown to cause cancer.  It is banned in most of the world.

3 hours ago, Tingting said:

Is it possible that some sort of plant killer could be accidentally spilled over the fence as a last resort? Of course, I'm not suggesting that you use Ojiva from the Garden Center as that would be wrong.

Ah, of course.......

1 hour ago, artsnob said:

try throwing a gallon of bleach over the wall, works every time...

Bleach comes in flavors/scents????

The roots are on her side, however, the overgrowth pushes my chain link fence.  Frankly, at this point, I am tired of being nice and getting no cooperation. All she cares about is what she wants with no consideration for me.

On 7/21/2021 at 8:19 AM, bmh said:

Zed first you say the palm is droping branches, which in my gook is part of life... you pick them up and put them in her yard or dispose of them. . 

Then that the shrubs are damaging your fence, Can you ask her to let a gardener come in and cut the hedge back or the bushes back? That is what I do with the neighbors at the back. who let their bugam billia gtow all o our roof. THey have no problem as long as they do not pay..

Her gardener told me she does not want to trim anything as she likes it that way, so it is not about money.

5 minutes ago, bmh said:

Pretty uncooperative neighbor.. Are you sure the gardner spoke with her.. You should talk to her directly not via the gardner.

Quite sure and I spoke with her once and typed a very nice note asking her to assist in solving this problem.  Never heard any response.

I think that if you speak with her nicely face to face it maybe different.. As a last effort.. Do you live in a place where there are rules or in the village? Some communities have rules and the management maybe able to help. In the village it is forget it ..

On 7/21/2021 at 10:32 AM, Jreboll said:

Unlike the USA Mexico does not have a very litigious society. I doubt you can accomplish much that way.  Most Mexicans will accommodate their neighbors if the request is reasonable. 

I am not sure that I would agree with you observations " Mexico does not have a very litigious society" Maybe not not as much as in the USA, I agree

Perhaps  Spencer ,who is in the trade, could comment . His recent Facebook accomplishments seem to suggest, that side of the trade is a very active/ profitable (?) segment of his business 

5 minutes ago, bmh said:

I think that if you speak with her nicely face to face it maybe different.. As a last effort.. Do you live in a place where there are rules or in the village? Some communities have rules and the management maybe able to help. In the village it is forget it ..

The HOA manager has already spoken to her and supposedly she said she would do the best she could and so nothing is being done.

6 minutes ago, bmh said:

My good friend,in Mexico rules are something that you argue about. You only follow them if it's convenient for you,  not the other person. There are rules about paying your homeowners fees, city taxes, wearing a helmet on a motorcycle,  playing  Lou d music , etc etc etc