Chapala.com Webboard

Optometrist Recommendation

A friend is seeking someone local who can make glasses with one lens needing a slight prism. He has the (Guad) ophthalmologist's prescription but prefers to do locally if possible do to being extremely disabled.  No steps as he's in a wheelchair and can't manage even 2 or 3 stairs.  Thanks in advance.

(I know there's info here somewhere but can't find it. Sorry.)

I wouldn't' have sent him there anyway as the last pair Dr. Pinto made for ME had the lenses reversed.... and they REALLY argued with me until I made him check them on his machine....even tho' he was the one who did the eye exam and wrote the Rx.!

Hoping for an Ajijic location as long as one can drive to the door.

26 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

As far as I know, all the local eyewear shops send the work to Guad anyway.

Not the point. His extreme disability is. Trips to Guad are harrowing and difficult for him, so if he can order them  (already has nearly new frames) and have them correctly fitted locally, his life would be very much easier.

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Not the point. His extreme disability is. Trips to Guad are harrowing and difficult for him, so if he can order them  (already has nearly new frames) and have them correctly fitted locally, his life would be very much easier.

You misunderstand. They don't send the person to Guad, they send the job. Then they do their job with the customer when the glasses are returned. I've often had my frames re-used, too, without ever leaving Chapala, and these are frames I purchased in the US. I believe the shop on the sideroad near Telmex in Ajijic is associated with the one in Chapala on the main drag, and very inexpensive.

14 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

You misunderstand. They don't send the person to Guad, they send the job. Then they do their job with the customer when the glasses are returned. I've often had my frames re-used, too, without ever leaving Chapala, and these are frames I purchased in the US. I believe the shop on the sideroad near Telmex in Ajijic is associated with the one in Chapala on the main drag, and very inexpensive.

Guess I'm speaking incorrectly.  I do NOT misunderstand.  What you're describing is exactly what I'm seeking!  A LOCAL location for him to attend.  Where the glasses are actually made don't matter a whit!

So.... tell me about this shop on the sideroad near Telmex in Ajijic.... it might work for him.  Also the one in Chapala on the main drag.... because I have no idea what/where you're referring to.  Gracias.

Jose Gabriel Cardona Hijar. Chapala, Hidalgo #222   Tel: 331 395 0931. About 1/3 up on the right from the lights. Small, hard to park.

As far as I know, the store in the strip just east of the Telmex office is the same people. Don't know the name, can't describe the location much better. Across the highway from Plaza Bugambilias. You know where Telmex is, I'm sure. Eye exam, prescriptions, frames, coatings, bi and tri, who knows what else. I have no idea what else either is capable of, but they are at least local.

• Thanks 1

I have had two pairs of prescription (by an ophthalmologist) glasses made at the small shop opposite Plaza Bugambilias. Perfect. My hubby had more pairs than that and they were also perfect. Nice choice of frames, excellent service, reasonable price.

Dr. Pinto, otoh, managed to screw up my prescription and would not fix them without another charge.

Coming from the east, turn up onto the lateral at Z gas. They are the first store in the small strip of four stores and parking is right in front. Do NOT go on a Wednesday because of the Tiangis.

• Thanks 1

YES!!!  Thank you Ferret.... and I think AP is  talking about the same place.  Sending a note to my friend ASAP and they'll be able to manage that one....the angle up into the shop might be difficult, but with assistant and wheelchair he can do it (for the fitting) First trip he can stay in the car.

Agree with you on Dr. Pinto too. 😠

Luz is the best. Exam is free so no risk. We have never had exams this thorough anywhere. Good Covid precautions as well. Available every Thursday at LCS. She takes complete notes and reminded me that she recommended a particular eye drop in February of 2018. She just spent over an hour with my wife who has a very high minus and a myriad of other visual issues. After this lengthy exam she told her that her eyes had not changed and that her existing glasses were fine no need for a change unless she wanted an update. No pressure to buy anything, just an honest exam and presentation of fact. She is fluent and answers her phone except when she is driving.

95525945_1623938421090721_611839591921483776_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2020 at 12:03 PM, Jeanneboo said:

Wearing a mask and distancing cost you nothing.  My wearing a mask protects you and not me.  I am immune suppressed and have stayed home except on the rare occasions I have to go out.  By you refusing to wear a mask and distance yourself from me, you can kill me.  YOUR RIGHT TO NOT FOLLOW PUBLIC HEALTH MEASURES ENDS WHEN YOU THREATEN MY LIFE!  I am sorry it inconveniences you but that is no reason to potentially infect someone else.  The virus is here.  We are not testing.  We have no idea who or how many people are infected.  People can be infected without symptoms and can infect others.  Concern for the wellbeing of fellow humans does not seem to one of your strong suits.

1 hour ago, spacedebris said:

Luz is the best. Exam is free so no risk. We have never had exams this thorough anywhere. Good Covid precautions as well. Available every Thursday at LCS. She takes complete notes and reminded me that she recommended a particular eye drop in February of 2018. She just spent over an hour with my wife who has a very high minus and a myriad of other visual issues. After this lengthy exam she told her that her eyes had not changed and that her existing glasses were fine no need for a change unless she wanted an update. No pressure to buy anything, just an honest exam and presentation of fact. She is fluent and answers her phone except when she is driving.

95525945_1623938421090721_611839591921483776_n.jpg

I just spoke to Luz and want to add some important information. She says that her passion is making prism glasses and can do single and double prism lenses. She has found that it is not enough to get the prescription correct, the lenses often come back from the fabricator with mistakes and must be checked to assure that the prescription was correctly filled and the patient is satisfied. She says that she has had to go to the fabricator and assist with the process because making prism lenses correctly is very complicated and this was the only way to assure a good outcome. You may want to have your friend call Luz to discuss their needs. Oh and LCS is wheelchair accessible too!

16 hours ago, MtnMama said:

I  would also recommend Luz for complex glasses and prisms. If your friend does go to the shop near Telmex, don't get the inexpensive frames. I made that mistake and they lasted less than a year.

I just got beautiful trifocals from Luz and they are perfect.  She does give a very complete exam.