Chapala.com Webboard

Croc's Really Spotted?

Saw this 24 June story of a crocodile spotting.

http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/56904-crocs-resurface-near-ajijic

Anything ever become of it? I know chicken necks from the butcher work great for catching crabs cheap and easy. Just tie a string onto the neck. Could skin or stuff one for the wall or give it to a place for their wall.

Eh saw how Cajun croc hunter use chickens. Butcher shop sounds better than inviting Cajun's getting their accent started in Ajijic. :)

Philippines if a saltwater crocodile ticks them off killing someone they'll even tie a pig to a stake and wait. Chicken necks are easy. Nobody wants to lose a dog or kid to a croc. Still wondering what became of it. 

5 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Thanks for posting that.

Looks like somebody lost a cowboy boot in the water and a fish got his head stuck in it swimming around. 

I think I blew it. One of the day lizards i put strawberry jam out for with water just popped out 2 feet away and is staring at me. Uh oh there's two of them now.

I sure looks real.  But I'm not sure a cocodrilo would swim  that distance without diving for a time and returning to the surface.  Next time, someone should throw a rock into the water to see if it reacts.  I'd be interested in seeing that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

I sure looks real.  But I'm not sure a cocodrilo would swim at that distance without diving for a time and returning to the surface.  Next time, someone should throw a rock into the water to see if is reacts.  I'm be interested in seeing that.

Crocs and alligators swim on the surface for long distances. 

3 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

I sure looks real.  But I'm not sure a cocodrilo would swim at that distance without diving for a time and returning to the surface.  Next time, someone should throw a rock into the water to see if is reacts.  I'm be interested in seeing that.

It's what they do when they are happy and want to be petted. Just like bison getting on the road at Yellowstone :)

• Haha 1

If there is only one at least he or she will not reproduce.  Birds are more valuable then crocs in nature? We have lots of crocs in the jungle in Cihapas and in areas that are not the jungle and plenty of birds as well. Actually not long ago some tourists were with a guide and asked the guide if they could swim.. the guide said that there were crocs bit that they were not agressive. One jumped in  and off she went with the croc... I have always heard that the crocs in Lake Marimar are not agressive but I sure would not go in just to see if it is true..

Could be fishermen are leaving cleaned fish scraps and he's jogging to work off some weight. There's no way to judge a wild crocodiles temperament. You're lucky if it's a flip of the coin odds. I know marinas with charter deep sea fishing boats will clean fish and throw scraps in the water getting sharks to visit. Guys constantly cleaning fish on shore would throw scraps in the water preferably to leaving the fish scraps on land stinking and breeding flies. The wet fly traps use dried fish you add water to that stinks. I do know a croc doesn't care if he eats birds, pets, BASS or other fish. Would be interesting to see if he has a lair.Sometimes they'll have an underwater entrance that goes up to a dry cave they dig out. If one of the fishermen is wearing crocodile cowboy boots I guess there's no point in asking if they have seen him. 

If the guy is eating fish scraps he hangs around for he knows humans are the key to food. He gets bigger attracted to humans with that in mind children are as good as a pet. I don't trust them. Not that I trust kids either :)

The brownish tower looking structure visible from around 1:45 to 2:23 could help get the location. Water levels changing gets deceiving covering and exposing and changing distances of building from shore. Poles could be sailboat masts.

Here's what the video's description says using an online translator.

"The recording of what looks like a crocodile, at the height of the beaches of Ajijic, in Lake Chapala, is causing a stir on social media.
The user Felipe Carranza, author of the video and who uploaded it to his personal account during June 18, confirmed the veracity of the images and shared to Laguna that the recording was made on June 17, at the height of the Ajijic yacht club, on Lake Chapala, around seven in the afternoon."

2 hours ago, Stream said:

The brownish tower looking structure visible from around 1:45 to 2:23 could help get the location. Water levels changing gets deceiving covering and exposing and changing distances of building from shore. Poles could be sailboat masts.

Here's what the video's description says using an online translator.

"The recording of what looks like a crocodile, at the height of the beaches of Ajijic, in Lake Chapala, is causing a stir on social media.
The user Felipe Carranza, author of the video and who uploaded it to his personal account during June 18, confirmed the veracity of the images and shared to Laguna that the recording was made on June 17, at the height of the Ajijic yacht club, on Lake Chapala, around seven in the afternoon."

The poles are in the entrance to the Club Nautica boat ramp. They start out in the lake to show the chanel. 

• Like 1