Chapala.com Webboard

Smog Inspections

Start the application online; you can pay with one of a few CCs or take the receipt to one of the listed banks or locations. At least for cash, it says you need to pay at least 4 days before completing the appointment process for the transaction to be validated. It appears that all your input data gets deleted until you pay, tho.

I was in email discussion with the verification site and they advised that it IS mandatory if you are a resident of GDL and surrounding environs OR if you made frequent trips into those areas. As far as lakeside goes, stay tuned as once the verification sites in your local area are set up THEN ALL vehicles (no matter where is it plated) will be required to have emissions testing done.

• Thanks 1

According to the Reporter, there are three testing stations each with four lanes.  It takes fifteen minutes to test each car meaning four per hour each lane.  4X4 is sixteen cars per hour at each station. 16X3 is 48 cars per hour.  If they are open 12 hours a day that is 576 cars per day.  If there are 177,000 cars with plate ending in "7" then, if they are open Sundays also, it will take them 308 days just to get the first number done.  They need to get busy with new stations or this will soon become another income stream for Transito cops asking for mordidas.  They should also exempt car models newer than 2011 models.  Those cars will all do better than the minimum test standards and the state knows it.  But that would cut into the revenue stream they have created with the testing.  What will the "new money" be spent on?  Probably not on road work, trash collection, sewer and treatment plants, etc.  I'm guessing it will just disappear into the money funnel that is government everywhere.  There might be a slight improvement in air quality but they could achieve the same  improvement by only targeting the worst offenders by impounding vehicles with visible smoke coming from the tailpipe. 

Alan

• Like 3

Maybe the time has come for you to buy a Tesla. I sold my tesla shares last year and am using the proceeds to buy the Chapala Municipality ☺️. On a more serious note, I now hold shares of the electric/hydrogen truck start up Nikola (will give you an update on or around 2024..).

28 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Maybe the time has come for you to buy a Tesla. I sold my tesla shares last year and am using the proceeds to buy the Chapala Municipality ☺️. On a more serious note, I now hold shares of the electric/hydrogen truck start up Nikola (will give you an update on or around 2024..).

That's about when you can also give a reasonable update on smog testing here which members are wasting their time obsessing about. There is already a fairly recent obsessive compulsive thread about this so why start another useless one OP carol. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

But Pedro, they have nothing but the time to obsess. And people who live in glass houses, well. Smoked meat, dill pickles, furniture, Alberta.

As soon as I light this my courtyard will be smogged and I don't care nor do I obsess about the things that you mention nor anything else for that matter.

IMG_1360.jpg

3 hours ago, barrbower said:

According to the Reporter, there are three testing stations each with four lanes.  It takes fifteen minutes to test each car meaning four per hour each lane.  4X4 is sixteen cars per hour at each station. 16X3 is 48 cars per hour.  If they are open 12 hours a day that is 576 cars per day.  If there are 177,000 cars with plate ending in "7" then, if they are open Sundays also, it will take them 308 days just to get the first number done.  They need to get busy with new stations or this will soon become another income stream for Transito cops asking for mordidas.  They should also exempt car models newer than 2011 models.  Those cars will all do better than the minimum test standards and the state knows it.  But that would cut into the revenue stream they have created with the testing.  What will the "new money" be spent on?  Probably not on road work, trash collection, sewer and treatment plants, etc.  I'm guessing it will just disappear into the money funnel that is government everywhere.  There might be a slight improvement in air quality but they could achieve the same  improvement by only targeting the worst offenders by impounding vehicles with visible smoke coming from the tailpipe. 

Alan

Amen!

I thought this forum existed for discussions about topics that affect us here at lakeside.   This topic does that.  When I used the term "new money" it was meant to be sarcastic.  There is no new money from this little scam.  All of the money will just come out of the legitimate economy someplace.  People only have so much to spend and that money could be spent over and over as it circulates through many hands.  The money collected by transitos will be spent that way. But the money collected by the government and some German company who sets up these stations is likely gone, for the most part.  That's about fifty million dollars a year taken out of the local economy and that represents perhaps ten times that much of economic activity lost as that money won't circulate.

Those who don't like the topic and think it is a waste of time should also not waste our time posting complaints about it...maybe just go do something else.

Alan

• Like 2

5 hours ago, barrbower said:

I thought this forum existed for discussions about topics that affect us here at lakeside.   This topic does that.  When I used the term "new money" it was meant to be sarcastic.  There is no new money from this little scam.  All of the money will just come out of the legitimate economy someplace.  People only have so much to spend and that money could be spent over and over as it circulates through many hands.  The money collected by transitos will be spent that way. But the money collected by the government and some German company who sets up these stations is likely gone, for the most part.  That's about fifty million dollars a year taken out of the local economy and that represents perhaps ten times that much of economic activity lost as that money won't circulate.

Those who don't like the topic and think it is a waste of time should also not waste our time posting complaints about it...maybe just go do something else.

Alan

As in the other recent thread about this topic which is so new that it's still current it doesn't affect you or anyone else here so how does this similar barf trump that one. By the time this testing affects any of us here is waaaay far in the future so why have a multitude of threads simultaneously about a non issue.

pedro kertesz

I drive a 1982 Ford F150 pickup truck and am sure that it would fail any smog test, so I will take my chances and take the small fine and move on. This is just a government "money grab" inviting grand scale mordita scams that I refuse to contribute to. My truck was built pretty much before the computer age and is very basic in automation with simple  maintenance and without the devises to limit "emissions". Recently I had my mechanic, Armando, do an engine rebuild and it is running like a charm. I asked him how much longer I can expect the truck to last and he said "40 more years". I then asked how much longer I would last, and he laughed and said "40 more years". I will take that!!! 

• Haha 2

First you should not test newer cars.  Waste of time.   Washington state found that they could eliminate the state testing program due to it not being needed after all the old cars were gone.  They just shut it down and left it to officers looking for smoking vehicles. Guess what it worked.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lcscats said:

First you should not test newer cars.  Waste of time.   Washington state found that they could eliminate the state testing program due to it not being needed after all the old cars were gone.  They just shut it down and left it to officers looking for smoking vehicles. Guess what it worked.  

Exactly right.  If they focused on the old stuff they could test far more of the likely polluters in far less time with far fewer testing stations and have a much faster impact on the vehicle pollution problem.

19 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

How much pollution does a battery operated car make?   Well none but the process of making these high tech wonders causes huge amounts of pollution. Go read bout it as it is quite interesting.  I drive a 2007 Nissan city car that has airbags and a catalytic converter and we don't drive much car has 50,000 KM on it.  I contend my car pollutes less than the manufacturing pollution created from these huge rolling piles of batteries.   How much pollution does it take to charge these batteries in Mexico using oil to generate the electricity. Don't get me wrong a Tesla is an amazing car and it is the right way to go but pollution free not in a million years.  Gringo old truck with a rebuilt engine driven a little does a lot less harm than buying a new truck and the pollution all this high tech creates.  We need to look at total cost of making and charging these cars. Even if you use solar panels to charge car panels have a pollution cost.  Its not a simple problem.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/16/2021 at 1:20 PM, WideSky said:

I was in email discussion with the verification site and they advised that it IS mandatory if you are a resident of GDL and surrounding environs OR if you made frequent trips into those areas. As far as lakeside goes, stay tuned as once the verification sites in your local area are set up THEN ALL vehicles (no matter where is it plated) will be required to have emissions testing done.

Once the verification centers are set up is key. It might be quite awhile or never.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lcscats said:

How much pollution does a battery operated car make?   Well none but the process of making these high tech wonders causes huge amounts of pollution. Go read bout it as it is quite interesting.  I drive a 2007 Nissan city car that has airbags and a catalytic converter and we don't drive much car has 50,000 KM on it.  I contend my car pollutes less than the manufacturing pollution created from these huge rolling piles of batteries.   How much pollution does it take to charge these batteries in Mexico using oil to generate the electricity. Don't get me wrong a Tesla is an amazing car and it is the right way to go but pollution free not in a million years.  Gringo old truck with a rebuilt engine driven a little does a lot less harm than buying a new truck and the pollution all this high tech creates.  We need to look at total cost of making and charging these cars. Even if you use solar panels to charge car panels have a pollution cost.  Its not a simple problem.  

The only way to verify what you say is to compare carbon foot prints. (but its Sunday so  I will let you do the research ☺️ )

19 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

The only way to verify what you say is to compare carbon foot prints. (but its Sunday so  I will let you do the research ☺️ )

Well I have. Dam power in Seattle electric cars make sense for many reasons.   Oil power in Mexico does not for my lifestyle.   I walk most places thus the low KM (4000km/year) on the car so electric cars don't make sense for me.  Others who drive more or live in highly polluted local conditions might have different results.  In addition to carbon stuff you need to include money costs into the numbers which most studies do not include.  When you buy an electric car you spend 40,000USD plus I spent 9000USD on my Micra.  As you said do the math and for me it makes no sense. Others mileage may vary of course.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lcscats said:

Well I have. Dam power in Seattle electric cars make sense for many reasons.   Oil power in Mexico does not for my lifestyle.   I walk most places thus the low KM (4000km/year) on the car so electric cars don't make sense for me.  Others who drive more or live in highly polluted local conditions might have different results.  In addition to carbon stuff you need to include money costs into the numbers which most studies do not include.  When you buy an electric car you spend 40,000USD plus I spent 9000USD on my Micra.  As you said do the math and for me it makes no sense. Others mileage may vary of course.

It takes political will to tackle climate change (yes I know its also a 4 letter word for many). Tesla and Nikola are US born products. Tesla currently has 2 large factories in the US (California and Nevada) and are currently in the process of building one in Texas. They are also building a factory in Germany and in the process of enlarging their factory in China. You mention Mexico, I agree that using oil to generate electricity makes no sense. Mexico has all the sun you could dream of but it would take the government to think green, but I doubt that will happen given the level of corruption (Guadalajara just bought 30 electric buses for the northern route, its a start). Also, I hade no idea that Texas had so many wind farms until they all froze up ☹️. Europe is leading the way, followed by the US by cutting off ICE cars by around 2030. The cost of battery production is dropping faster then I can blink an eye. Being an electrical engineer, 20 years ago I would have laugh at the possibility of an electric cars. Finally, I have no grand children and will be gone in about 10 years, so who cares about the environment. But I have hundreds of Mexican friends with children and hope they will have cleaner air to breath. 

• Like 1