Chapala.com Webboard

Quad

As a young teenager a friend built a minibike with a 2 cycle chainsaw engine with its centrifugal clutch. Clutch wasn't good enough to grab and take off from a stand still so he ran with it and took off like a bat out of yah. He didn't install brakes :) Shoes took a beating. Be sure to practice screaming so you can tell everyone what's wrong with the build while screaming by :) It's funny looking back thinking of him screaming and laughing about brakes.

• Haha 1

This is similar to what I have in mind. Springer forks and my entrance is only 53 inches wide so a ripped apart quad made into this would be perfect. I just need engine gearbox,rear assembly and build a moto trike frame around them. I bought a Sportster was a big mistake as it would have cost me about $15000 on top of the $4000 for it to make the conversion. As a disabled person it's the only way I can ride again and a quad has reverse too.

trike.jpg

• 7 months later...

I've been looking for a quad that is legal for 2 years. My time on this planet is running out. I don't care if it's been in an accident because we only need the motor,gearbox and rear end assembly of an automatic to build me a trike. Maybe somebody moving back NOB will sell? I am prepared to spend up to $45,000mp and will buy 250-500cc . Every time mi mecanic Moy thinks he's found one, the alleged owner can't supply the proper papers for transfer.

On 3/7/2022 at 5:56 AM, Mainecoons said:

I have seen parts bikes advertised on Mercado Libre a number of times.

I have left no stone unturned for the 2 + years I've been looking. Parts bikes not in operation won't do as we need to test the running gear, and most of the parters have no papers It's going to cost enough to buy and build without being surprised with  running gear mess.

Why build?  Just buy a used CanAm Spyder.  They are great for disabled folks.  Also would be resellable much easier once you no longer can use it.  I have a friend who is paralyzed from the waste down and bought one of the very first ones off the production line.  He modified it for hand controls and has motored all around the Great Lakes with it.  The CanAm brass was so impressed with his story they invited him to HQ in Quebec for a press day a few years back.

On 3/6/2022 at 3:39 PM, happyjillin said:

I've been looking for a quad that is legal for 2 years. My time on this planet is running out. I don't care if it's been in an accident because we only need the motor,gearbox and rear end assembly of an automatic to build me a trike. Maybe somebody moving back NOB will sell? I am prepared to spend up to $45,000mp and will buy 250-500cc . Every time mi mecanic Moy thinks he's found one, the alleged owner can't supply the proper papers for transfer.

With time running out why not get a taxi as your needs arise and the rainy season starts in June...it's never too late to listen to good advice

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Ezzie said:

Why build?  Just buy a used CanAm Spyder.  They are great for disabled folks.  Also would be resellable much easier once you no longer can use it.  I have a friend who is paralyzed from the waste down and bought one of the very first ones off the production line.  He modified it for hand controls and has motored all around the Great Lakes with it.  The CanAm brass was so impressed with his story they invited him to HQ in Quebec for a press day a few years back.

I want to build a moto front wheel trike which is the closest thing to a bike and as far as I am concerned a CanAm ain't no moto and it wouldn't fit in mi casa, in any event.

trike.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 7/14/2021 at 10:38 AM, happyjillin said:

Honda,Yamaha,Suzuki 500 cc+. Wanting to buy to make into a moto trike. Just need motor,gearbox and rear assembly so it can even be an accident salvage as long as those components are good. PM me with price por favor.

pedro kertesz

My condition has deteriorated to the point where I would be a danger to myself and others on the road.My COPD is stage 3 and got there rapidly in the last 6 months so if putting on my cloths takes me a long time between breaths the physical activity of riding is impossible now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Kiko said:

"Ay Jalisco, no te rajes."  (Don't give up.)

Reality has spoken through my buggered body. COPD is terminal I was given 5 years for the ETA of my demise by it and my other medical issues. First diagnosis was 2-3 years so I am happy with that and fully prepared and so is my wife. Even commissioned a song and vid for my wake  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj5zpbSufD8

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Have you looked at moving to a lower elevation?

I recall RVGringo sharing that was a big reason they moved, that along with better access to health care from the VA.

Good luck to you in any case.

I know it was only 5 days but I wasn't any better at the coast in Jan. I'm Canadian so the VA means nothing to me. My health care access here is outstanding. I will croak right here with my boots on. Right now the heat is affecting my breathing but I'm still not on oxygen. If I carry 4 cervezas from my shop to the fridge [only 20 ft.] I have to sit down and gasp for air like I just did an end to end rush in hockey.