Chapala.com Webboard

Art Supplies to Donate

Ten years since I re-started painting with a vengeance,  but now aging eyes and hands no longer produce to my standards, and I've pretty much lost interest anyway. So I'd like to find a young Mexican with the passion and desire, but maybe not the funds who'll receive a large selection of partially used tubes of professional rated acrylics,  brushes of all shapes and sizes, some palette knives and a palette, etc. FREE....   a small way to again "pay it forward".

Yes I know there may be places (eg LCS) but want to explore this route first.  Please post here or send a PM.

• Like 5

My landlord and his wife are well known patrons of the arts in Guadalajara. They are always helping emerging artists. I also have many rare art materials to sell. I will ask him if he wants to buy as a group.

I am mostly in a walker these days. Kept falling too much. Osteo Arthritis and some sort of inner ear disorder which affects my balance. I have so many bruises right know. I prefer sculpture anyways, carved stone.

Excellent!  But remember.... my stuff is all FREE. If they know of someone/more than would like to have it, I can bring it to you.                                                                                     

My maid´s son paints and is very good at it. He has limited funds and now is in his first year at the university of Guadaljara. He studies at home right now and hgave up his room in Guadalajara. I have a painter friend who gives him classes when he comes and stay at my house. The suppkies would be great.

I can put you in touch with him if you would like to speak with him. His name is Martin. Let me know if the supplies are still availablae and wil tell him tomorrow.

10 hours ago, bmh said:

My maid´s son paints and is very good at it. He has limited funds and now is in his first year at the university of Guadaljara. He studies at home right now and hgave up his room in Guadalajara. I have a painter friend who gives him classes when he comes and stay at my house. The suppkies would be great.

I can put you in touch with him if you would like to speak with him. His name is Martin. Let me know if the supplies are still availablae and wil tell him tomorrow.

BMH: my  paints are  acrylic.  Most of the other stuff is "universal". I'd like to  help him IF he doesn't paint in oils. Call me  376 766 3580

CHILLIN:  Will see how this goes. If not, will be in touch.

I was thinking about that art supply in Centro Laguna mall? Their imports are expensive and he is poor on custom orders. Maybe he would be interested in consignment. A lot of stuff I have is quite rare and expensive. I recently purchased a striping brush for $56U.S. plus rare pigments like Caput Mortuum and ground cobalt glass.

I am working with 32 local teens from Jocotepec and San Juan Cosala teaching them to do dot mandalas to sell to help them and their families financially. I was inspired by the work that Deborah March did with kids in San Juan Cosala with mosaics. We do workshops weekly and I have supplied all the materials to date. They make paintings and painted jewelry and are getting very good. I cannot afford canvases for them so most of the work is on thin plywood that I paid Have Hammer to cut into workable shapes for them (squares, circles, crosses, and butterflies) and they are pretty nice finished. We only use acrylics and I have all the tools for dotting for them to use even at home but not very many brushes to share with them. I have only been able to send pretty basic paint colors with them due to the cost of such supplies here but get as much as I can afford when I venture north of the border. Here is an example of their work. I know they would benefit greatly from such a donation if you choose to offer it to them:-) 

2021-06-28_17-24-31_564.jpeg

2021-04-12_15-31-41_547.jpeg

• Like 5

OK. I'm aboard. I have $2-3,000 dollars of raw pigments to donate. These are the primary building blocks of all paint. They are incredibly vibrant, which your students seem to enjoy. You will have to purchase a small amount of acrylic medium to get started, but you will have enough paint for the next 20 years, and your students will learn an invaluable skill, making only enough paint as they need, in any color you can imagine.  Unfortunately, I do not have acrylic medium because I paint with raw pigment on fresh lime plaster ( fresco). I have a 23 liter pail of aged professional lime putty to donate as well.

I recently sold my 4x4, and mostly use a walker, but I could still get a taxi to a central location. You could also pick them up in Chapala Haciendas. PM your preference, and I can send a map.

Here is list and recipes for the paints you can make using these pigments. You are interested in Acrylic General right now, but you may become interested in silicate or mineral paints which stick to glass as though they become a part of it, and no fumes or anything like that. They are also fireproof.

https://shop.kremerpigments.com/us/information/recipes/

• Like 1

Thank you Natasha. Martin was at work when I spoke with him and he was super happy. He told me he would connect with you.  He just lost his grand mother  , he was very close to her.so has been down. She was the lady who got hit by a motorcycle in Ajijic a few weks ago and it was nice to hear him  be happy.

I just took my cel to be fixed as I dropped it and broke the screen. So for right now we can communicate via the PM .. until saturday.

15 hours ago, bmh said:

Thank you Natasha. Martin was at work when I spoke with him and he was super happy. He told me he would connect with you.  He just lost his grand mother  , he was very close to her.so has been down. She was the lady who got hit by a motorcycle in Ajijic a few weks ago and it was nice to hear him  be happy.

I just took my cel to be fixed as I dropped it and broke the screen. So for right now we can communicate via the PM .. until saturday.

HAPPY to report Martín is coming today to pick up the goodies. Thanks for the heads-up about his abuela.  I'll take a little time with him, if he wants, to demo a few pointers re: use of a couple of the fine detail brushes plus "solid" color backgrounds that really aren't, and help with any other questions I'm able to answer.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bmh said:

Thanks a lot  , he will love it. He come here when my friend the painter comes and stays late to be with him . I think he is studying and working now but he will love the extra pointers and help.

What a FINE young man!  Spent some time with him on brushes, backgrounds, mahl stick, and talking a little about his abuela. Seemed like a pretty happy camper as he headed out......  gave me a big hug and promised to stay in touch.  Explained "pay it forward" to him and said it's now his turn.... when the opportunity arises. .... and he thought that was pretty good concept.  HAPPY day for me too 🤩

• Like 4