Chapala.com Webboard

Really loud birds

We are experiencing really loud birds in our yard.  It is hard to describe their sound, a cross between a cricket & an owl.  One calls & others answer most of the day & all night.  We are losing sleep.  Anyone else hear these?  They sit in the tree branches.  We have never actually seen one, but boy can you hear them.

What part of Lakeside? The last few years some parrots have moved in. If it is bright green. noisy, and has a large messy nest it is probalby parrot or parakeet. 

We are in central east Ajijic.  I don't think it is a parrot or parakeet.  There is no nest that we can see & no big green bird.  The location of the noise also varies & right now it is right outside the bedroom window.  Actually today it is quieter than usual maybe they take Sundays off.  This is week #2, we kept thinking it would move on.  I suspect they will be back tonight so will get the earplugs ready.

You have to sneak out and catch sight of it.

Near the waterfront between the old and new Posada some type of parrots has moved into the large Eucalyptus trees there.

In other threads about night noises, people have mentioned Nightjars, which sound like car alarms.  We had one at our place a few months ago and it for the longest time I thought it WAS a car alarm.  All times of night....from 9PM till morning.  Listen here.  

If that's not it google Night Time Birds and many sites have audio of their sounds.  

https://youtu.be/mwZOYNjTu38

4 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Crackles (large black birds) make that type of noise. They flock to large trees at sundown. If you keep on lights at night outside they will move.

Grackles.  They are very noisy at dusk, but then go to sleep for night.  They start to bed down before sundown and usually in extremely large groups---a homeowner couldn't miss them.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

In other threads about night noises, people have mentioned Nightjars, which sound like car alarms.  We had one at our place a few months ago and it for the longest time I thought it WAS a car alarm.  All times of night....from 9PM till morning.  Listen here.  

If that's not it google Night Time Birds and many sites have audio of their sounds.  

https://youtu.be/mwZOYNjTu38

That would be annoying. Birds used to crawl up under the tiles over my bedroom to sleep. I thought it might be rats so I went out with a flashlight and nearly got knocked over by a fleeing bird. 

Maybe they aren't birds. Small frogs can make a lot of noise and they climb up on things but trees? At night it sounded like I had sheep at the bottom of my property. I snuck down one night and it was frogs. You have to see the noise makers to narrow it down.

• Like 1

So far the "singing" of the grey nightjar described by Bisbee Gal seems to be very close to what we are hearing.  I agree it is a pretty little bird, how can such a small thing put out all that racket?  There must be several in the yard as they answer each other.  The first is really loud then from various areas we hear more.  Thank  you all so much for your research. Tonight & for the next few nights we will leave several outdoor lights on.  Hopefully that will convince them to move on, I don't envy the people who inherit them.  Thanks again to all.

26 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

They are Monk Parakeets.

Okay. I asked the nearby owners but they didn't know. My bird bible doesn't list monk parakeets but google says they are Myiopsitta monachus whose range is around Argentina. That would make sense as to why they aren't in the Mexican bird bible. A neighbour said that they had arrived in the last few years.

2 minutes ago, cedros said:

Okay. I asked the nearby owners but they didn't know. My bird bible doesn't list monk parakeets but google says they are Myiopsitta monachus whose range is around Argentina. That would make sense as to why they aren't in the Mexican bird bible. A neighbour said taht they had arrived in the last few years.

Yea, they are one of the few parrots that have benefited from man.  They can now be found as far north as Chicago and NYC.  Actually one of the best talking parrots when captive raised.

• Like 1

No, not screaming Chachalacas, & hope to never hear one except in a park.  Am pretty sure it is a nightjar thanks (Bisbee Gal) with lots of friends. They were back again last night, we will leave several outside lights on for a few more nights.   We have lived full-time in our house since 2005 & have never been kept awake by nature before.  Not a deal breaker for our love of Mexico but a good night's sleep is underrated until you miss several!

Thanks for all the input.

On 7/4/2021 at 12:12 PM, bournemouth said:

They are Monk Parakeets.

No, they are yellow-chevroned parakeets.  Monk parakeets have a white front. The aforementioned are all green with a small amount of yellow at the front edge that is often difficult to see.

7 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

No, they are yellow-chevroned parakeets.  Monk parakeets have a white front. The aforementioned are all green with a small amount of yellow at the front edge that is often difficult to see.  These have made huge communal nests in the eucalypts at what was called the Old Posada for so long.  They are several years old.  There are other populations of these birds in our area.  One group likes to hang out in Christiania Park in Chapala. 

9 hours ago, bdmowers said:

No, they are yellow-chevroned parakeets.  Monk parakeets have a white front. The aforementioned are all green with a small amount of yellow at the front edge that is often difficult to see.

They are monk parakeets, green back, grey throat and chest, only parrot to build a free standing communal nest.  You might be thinking of the orange-fronted parakeets.  They are native to the area but seldom seen anymore.  I’ve only seen one flock in the three years I’ve been here.