Chapala.com Webboard

Leaking Skylights

Zeb

I can get on the roof.  I have had two people work on this with impermezable (misspelled I am sure) and a sealer, and yet I still have leaks.  My skills will be worse than theirs.  Perhaps you are volunteering?

26 minutes ago, Zeb said:

I can get on the roof.  I have had two people work on this with impermezable (misspelled I am sure) and a sealer, and yet I still have leaks.  My skills will be worse than theirs.  Perhaps you are volunteering?

Waterproof paint and sealer isn't going to fix a leaking skylight. As was suggested, you need to caulk around the skylight with silicone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Waterproof paint and sealer isn't going to fix a leaking skylight. As was suggested, you need to caulk around the skylight with silicone.

You need to caulk around the frame of the skylight AND around the plastic on the top of the skylight. 

21 minutes ago, Zeb said:

Here is a bit more information.  My skylights are glass blocks which are flat and aligned with the roof.   I don't know if that will change the advice.

We have 2 areas with 8 glass blocks in each as our skylights, even with roof like you.  Every year we have Imp. sealer dripped down into any cracks that are visible.  We also have the imp. sealer painted out about a meter from the glass block section, 2 coats to try and catch any small cracks in our roof.  Then, we use silicone around each block (we have a very small space between each block so the silicone actually is on the blocks in a very small amount as there basically is no way to avoid it, and, it is added protection.  Transparente silicone).  This has worked for us for 14 years. 

We too have had trouble getting someone reliable.  This year we asked our gardener to do it as he is very handy.  Paid him, of course.

33 minutes ago, Zeb said:

Here is a bit more information.  My skylights are glass blocks which are flat and aligned with the roof.   I don't know if that will change the advice.

May be easier to simply place a glass sheet over the area and seal the glass to the roof.

• Like 2

Yup. Or plexiglass. Or a "window" with an aluminum frame containing either glass or plexiglass... then you would be using something to stick the frame to the roof AND siliconing down the frame edges to the roof. 

• Like 1

There is no broken glass.  I hired R & R Construction for this project, so we will see how it turns out. It seems there are some cracks in the roof and the entire surface needs to be painted and he will construct some glass box types shapes to go over the glass blocks.  His first idea was to remove all the blocks and reinstall them so they are not flush with the floor/roof.  I was not in favor of that.  I have sixteen of these group and it will really make a mess in my house, plus I don't want workers looking inside my house, etc.

This alternative solution will solve the problem without a mess on the interior 

I will report back once completed.

• 1 month later...

So, R & R came out and did the job.  The roof is better, however, there are now two leaks.  He said he gives 5 year warranty.  He has failed to come out and repair the leaks after several unanswered calls.  Finally, today we spoke and he is to fix things, so we shall see......

I have glass block skylights in a similar pattern; i used to caulk with silicone every year just before rainy season.

A few years ago I switched to Total Tech as shown in the picture; it stands up much better than the silicone I was using.

I bought the caulking tubes of Total Tech at Home Depot and I think I have also seen it in Walmart.

IMG_0815.JPEG

On 7/7/2021 at 12:31 PM, vista lake said:

My contractor put silicon, and sellacrill in all area,

Sellacril is a horrible product, I don't understand why it is so often used here. When exposed to sunlight, it turns yellow peels off in sheets. I know several people who had to  get it all stripped off their floors and redone with a good quality sealer.

35 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Sellacril is a horrible product, I don't understand why it is so often used here. When exposed to sunlight, it turns yellow peels off in sheets. I know several people who had to  get it all stripped off their floors and redone with a good quality sealer.

Sellacril is not for floor tiles, he only used for the glass block, and for the floor tiles, he used Poliform, to install in my saltillo tiles, sellacrill you can used in many areas and materials, butt before they have to now how to install, clean before the areas. 

• Haha 1