Chapala.com Webboard

Frozen bread dough?

Karina G

It's been a long time and I'm craving cinnamon buns. I used to get dough from Walmart for them but can't remember - do I ask for "Masa for pan" or "masa for bolillos" or does it even matter? And could I freeze it at home until I"m ready to make? I remember it often started to rise in transit... I mostly order online now for delivery, but not sure the dough is available that way.

Does anyone else locally sell frozen dough in small quantities, i.e. enough for a single loaf or batch of buns?

• 2 weeks later...

You can try this: Pasta de hojaldre por kilo from Walmart (it shows up in their online ordering). It is puff pastry and it is made with a fat other than butter so it is not as good as some puff pastry dough but season it heavily and add some of your own butter and it should be pretty good. Not sweetened dough so you may need more sugar. Should freeze fine. Use something like this as a go by The final product will be more crunchy/flakey then doughy/yeasty but still very nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, don't like the Pillsbury at all - taste isn't appealing. I use Walmart's puff pastry for a variety of things, but I'm a purist when it comes to cinnamon buns. My original question was whether you could still get the bread dough (masa) at Walmart and if so, when, because I remember it wasn't always available. Also, could I freeze it raw and use later? Don't think anyone addressed any of this, tho I appreciate the suggestions for alternates.