Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex Landline availability

I've been paying to hold onto a landline for a couple of years now, which is not even hooked up. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of whether Telmex landlines are still hard to get or not ? If they can be had easily, I'll consider dropping mine.

From what I understand, Telmex will no longer be installing physical landlines. Only VOIP lines with a modem. All in all, a huge travesty. Billions have been invested in infrastructure of the most reliable communications systems in the world, based on the Plain Old Telephone System.

The gamechanger will be when Tesla turns on the Starlink low orbit satellite system. Every time they send up one of their rockets they release a payload of hundreds of small satellites. There are parts of Canada and the Southern USA that are already hooked up. One rooftop receiver gets your landline and internet at a low monthly cost because there are no infrastructure costs like poles, lines, connections. Telmex could not complete unless Carlos Slim decides they should invest in space. Google is starting a similar satellite scheme.

9 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

The gamechanger will be when Tesla turns on the Starlink low orbit satellite system. Every time they send up one of their rockets they release a payload of hundreds of small satellites. There are parts of Canada and the Southern USA that are already hooked up. One rooftop receiver gets your landline and internet at a low monthly cost because there are no infrastructure costs like poles, lines, connections. Telmex could not complete unless Carlos Slim decides they should invest in space. Google is starting a similar satellite scheme.

Starlink is 499 bucks for dish and receiver and 99 bucks/month for service in US at this time.  I would expect Mexican prices to be less but time will tell.   A Total play 100 down 10 up connection with a good VOIP phone  is 33 bucks/month with no hardware fees at this time just an install charge which is small.  So its a while before Starlink competes with Fiber. When Google puts birds up than the game will be on!