Chapala.com Webboard

New flying critters?

20 hours ago, bmh said:

Nothing new about chicatana. They are flying ants that just had their last fling, they lose their wings and crawl back into their holes to die. They go for 600 pesos the kilo in Chiapas and Oaxaca and are delicious, throw them on the comal cook them , blow on them to get rid off the wings add salt  and lemon and chili if you like it  and eat them like you would popcorn.

They are way more expensive than the grasshopers because there are just a few days you can get them and that is once a year when the rains start. 

I spent the morning gathering them with my neighbor who is from Paxaca, the kids love them and love to  catch them. We got a very large bg of them and we will have fun eating them.

My gardener says his wife makes them into salsa (they pluck off wings first).  They are both from Veracruz.  

• Like 1

In Southern Mexico they are used as botanas, salsa, tacos, name it.. The  government had an insect eating campaign a few years ago as they are pure protein and many of the poor down there need more protein. Since they are oot there for free if you gather them it is a cheap way to add protein for the poor campesinos, they can also sell them for a nice price ad buy something more to their liking if they are ot crazy about insects. Many people I know are crazy about them and freeze them after preparing them so they can hace them all year round.. Same with the satz that are the very large creepy crawly larvaes of the large black butterflies they have in the hot lands..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmh said:

In Southern Mexico they are used as botanas, salsa, tacos, name it.. The  government had an insect eating campaign a few years ago as they are pure protein and many of the poor down there need more protein. Since they are oot there for free if you gather them it is a cheap way to add protein for the poor campesinos, they can also sell them for a nice price ad buy something more to their liking if they are ot crazy about insects. Many people I know are crazy about them and freeze them after preparing them so they can hace them all year round.. Same with the satz that are the very large creepy crawly larvaes of the large black butterflies they have in the hot lands..

That sounds like it could be good.

I've had crickets in Thailand that were like potato chips.

Of course they should be Certified Organic. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bmh said:

No the small ones are not termites, they are ants. We had both types in the pool and we only got the fat ones to cook and discarted the others.

My friend from Chiapas tell me the small ones are males and you cannot eat those.

There are lots of termites flying right now. Happens every year at this time 

The flying ants that are losing their wings right now are not termites. I am sure there are plenty of termites  around but we collected a couple of kilos ofants yesterday and there were large ones and small ones and the small ones we got were ants not termites. I do know the difference.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 12:02 PM, happyjillin said:

Good grief,you've been here for ages.As an artist I would have expected you to be more observant-eh! This ain't anything new as an annual event.

Apparently 3[duckiehoomever,zipit,lexy] of the usual negativo banda failed to detect the humour meant by this post.-SNORK!

16 hours ago, bmh said:

The flying ants that are losing their wings right now are not termites. I am sure there are plenty of termites  around but we collected a couple of kilos ofants yesterday and there were large ones and small ones and the small ones we got were ants not termites. I do know the difference.

I said might be termites.  We had both ants and termites both swarm in my area.  It was just a guess as to what was being asked.