Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Recommended Posts

Seeking opinions from cat people for a cat vet.  I know Hector Ladron is very good but actually getting him to see the cat and take time with him seems pretty hard these days.

Ditto with the vet, Dr. Bernice, up on the Libremiento.  Seems like in both cases you end up being shuffled to some relatively inexperienced person or you get rushed through.

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

you'll find I sent you a PM this morning        Hector is by FAR the best diagnostician for tricky cases but agree...... realty hard to see him these days

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to mention they've become quite expensive.  He mixed it up with a local cat he doesn't have the sense to avoid and has an abscess and God knows what else.  Before they even got started, over 3000 pesos, they've gotten very pricey to say the least.  I'm beginning to understand why there was no crowd when I took him over this morning.

Hector wasn't there.  Have no idea if the young lady vet seeing him understands he needs to be checked for underlying issues although I told her so.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Not to mention they've become quite expensive.  He mixed it up with a local cat he doesn't have the sense to avoid and has an abscess and God knows what else.  Before they even got started, over 3000 pesos, they've gotten very pricey to say the least.  I'm beginning to understand why there was no crowd when I took him over this morning.

Hector wasn't there.  Have no idea if the young lady vet seeing him understands he needs to be checked for underlying issues although I told her so.

 

 

Sounds like what happened to one of my cats NOB about 2 years ago. To take care of the abscess, give antibiotics, it cost almost $300 USD. Maybe that is about right . I remember telling my wife that we could buy a lot of cats for that money.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Not to mention they've become quite expensive.  He mixed it up with a local cat he doesn't have the sense to avoid and has an abscess and God knows what else.  Before they even got started, over 3000 pesos, they've gotten very pricey to say the least.  I'm beginning to understand why there was no crowd when I took him over this morning.

Hector wasn't there.  Have no idea if the young lady vet seeing him understands he needs to be checked for underlying issues although I told her so.

Agree on the $$$ but I'm very sure all in his employees are good at their jobs. Isabel has been with him for MANY years (back to when Antonio as well as Hector) was there.  I know most of the others but refuse to duke it out in public. I do  know he never keeps them there if they aren't competent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

Sounds like what happened to one of my cats NOB about 2 years ago. To take care of the abscess, give antibiotics, it cost almost $300 USD. Maybe that is about right . I remember telling my wife that we could buy a lot of cats for that money.

That's the point.  Ladron is charging NOB prices now.  I couldn't figure out when I went in there why I was the only one and when I went back to get him I was also the only one.  They used to be lined up at the door on Monday mornings.

His bill came to $200 and we are looking at least at another $100.  That is simply too much for Mexico.  Hell, I could get treated cheaper by a person doctor than that.

Max's outdoor freedom days are over.  I want to find a cat harness so he can at least be outside on a leash for some fresh air and sunshine.  But no more wandering, he just can't handle it.  I wonder if they have them at the cat shelter.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Max's outdoor freedom days are over.  I want to find a cat harness so he can at least be outside on a leash for some fresh air and sunshine.  But no more wandering, he just can't handle it.  I wonder if they have them at the cat shelter.

Cats can get out of an "H" shaped harness faster than you can imagine.  Properly fitted, figure-eights are better but not totally reliable either. However.... far and away the best and safest  truly escape-proof type is a sort of "body jacket".   Check these out for an example of what I mean.

A friend had one like this and walked her ENORMOUS escape-artist Devon Rex cat with it very successfully.

https://www.amazon.com/Harness-Walking-Adjustable-Reflective-Comfort/dp/B07Z666TN1/ref=sr_1_52?dchild=1&keywords=figure+8+cat+harness&qid=1624315734&sr=8-52

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-929140819-qc-cat-harnesse-y-correa-ajustable-chaleco-de-malla-suave-co-_JM?searchVariation=87137947783#searchVariation=87137947783&position=19&search_layout=grid&type=item&tracking_id=b6b2420d-6d4a-4f41-b257-8e0e8f0d5d4c

I do believe and I have talked before about indoor vs outdoor.  If that's the case you'll remember i closed my doors completely after 3 (deadly) incidents in very short order back in 2004 and none of my many cats have so much as set a toenail outside since.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do agree Hector is good at diagnosis but he wants to do every test under the sun and the prices have more than tripled over the years.  The last time I went there to see him it was just before noon and I was told I need to be there by 9:30 if I want to see him.  Dude’s keeping CEO hours and charging CEO rates.  No thank you.  I went to Delphino, I found him very knowledgeable and very caring.  I took my dog there so I can’t speak to his expertise with cats however he’s always there from 8-4 and provides his cell number for emergencies and after hours and is willing to come to your home or meet at his clinic after hours.  His rates are very reasonable.  Might be worth it to give him a try.  He’s in the little strip mall next to Panino’s.  I hope your Kitty feels better soon.  Good luck.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Natasha said:

Cats can get out of an "H" shaped harness faster than you can imagine.  Properly fitted, figure-eights are better but not totally reliable either. However.... far and away the best and safest  truly escape-proof type is a sort of "body jacket".   Check these out for an example of what I mean.

A friend had one like this and walked her ENORMOUS escape-artist Devon Rex cat with it very successfully.

https://www.amazon.com/Harness-Walking-Adjustable-Reflective-Comfort/dp/B07Z666TN1/ref=sr_1_52?dchild=1&keywords=figure+8+cat+harness&qid=1624315734&sr=8-52

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-929140819-qc-cat-harnesse-y-correa-ajustable-chaleco-de-malla-suave-co-_JM?searchVariation=87137947783#searchVariation=87137947783&position=19&search_layout=grid&type=item&tracking_id=b6b2420d-6d4a-4f41-b257-8e0e8f0d5d4c

I do believe and I have talked before about indoor vs outdoor.  If that's the case you'll remember i closed my doors completely after 3 (deadly) incidents in very short order back in 2004 and none of my many cats have so much as set a toenail outside since.

Thank you again.  Looks like I need to order from the U.S. because the Mexican listing doesn't give a choice of size.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been using Pepe Magana in Riberas I have 13 cats some are feral and everytime my cats have been sick he has been spot on. I wont take them anywhere else.

I might be biased because I have used Pepe since the early 80s and he has treated and saved everything I have taken to him including possums, hamsters you name it.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to all for the helpful responses. 

I've been reading up on this problem.  We know he was fixed between one and 2 years of age.  At that late age the behaviors are hard to change.  But with him it seems to be getting worse even though he is now around 12-13 years in age.   He should be settling down and he is not.

There is a feral cat in the neighborhood, I think that is who he insists on fighting with and losing to.  We are now trying to make him into an indoor cat and it is a war.  

We are at our wits end with this cat.  We try and keep him in and he works so hard at getting out he even opens windows and has destroyed half the screens in the house.  He's made us prisoners along with him as we can't even crack most of the windows in the house for ventilation as he pushes them open and then rips through the screens to get out. 

He has even sprayed a piece of furniture in the house.

Seriously considering trying to get him adopted out but frankly I couldn't recommend him to anyone as he behaves now.  But at this point we'd be happy to not have to deal with him.  I know that sounds harsh but he is out of control.  We are taking him to a different vet as his abscesses still aren't under control and also to discuss what can be done to get him under control. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

C'mon.  You're an engineer.   Can't you design an outdoor space---extend or create a terrace with natural grass???  This came up google image search for outdoor cat enclosures.  

cat-enclosure-alli-bateson2.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

At that late age the behaviors are hard to change. 

There is a feral cat in the neighborhood,

We are at our wits end with this cat.  We try and keep him in and he works so hard at getting out he even opens windows and has destroyed half the screens in the house. 

He has even sprayed a piece of furniture in the house.

Seriously considering trying to get him adopted out but frankly I couldn't recommend him to anyone as he behaves now.  But at this point we'd be happy to not have to deal with him.  I know that sounds harsh but he is out of control.  We are taking him to a different vet as his abscesses still aren't under control and also to discuss what can be done to get him under control. 

Behaviour... not necessarily so and age is NOT a factor.... especially since  without doubt the feral cat is the trigger.  Your cat is simply protecting "his" territory and his age has nothing to do with it.  More likely this particular feral cat is more aggressive about wanting to invade same. Before I closed my doors I had a neutered male Siamese about 6 yrs old (one of 6) ... neuter date unknown... got him at 5.  HE started taking extreme offence to feral cats and DID start to spray in various places in the house.  Sadly before we could address, he developed an  incurable problem and went over the Rainbow Bridge. That left another part-Siamese 2 yr old boy who unforgettably had picked up on the behaviour as HE was spraying. Vets were looking at treatment options when he was poisoned on one of his daytime forays....  and I closed the doors forever.

At that time I had a 4-yr old, 11 month old, and 2-5 year olds, all of whom had freely come and go day-times.  The 11 month old  had recently come from the streets and had never known even being indoors at night.  It took a month of tough love and  difficultly, but in the end they all accepted the new rules.

has destroyed half the screens in the house.  TOO familiar with this one too.  Took in a 6 mo old   2 1/2 years ago from a  caring  lady who rescued VERY PG mom... kittens were born, and she kept all, but had ZERO idea how to socialize and/or contain them. This one destroyed every screen,  screens on the sliders, and was a totally WILD thing. When she started going over the wall. I brought her home,  kept her in a large dog crate, & worked with her until she could be released into my house.  Has never tried a door or window since.  Bisbee Gal has a good solution to this for you.

Seriously considering trying to get him adopted out   PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T DO THIS.... to the cat or to others. Cats are highly territorial and he will do his best to return to you if he manages to escape. That means most likely he'll die trying.... mean dogs, traffic, or ??? Your alternate solution, harsh as it seems, would be far more humane if find you simply cannot deal.  Best of luck whichever way you go.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couple of thoughts. Have you tried the extra heavy-duty screen? I have screen on some of my windows that is dog-proof so I am guessing it might be cat proof too.

The outdoor run is an excellent idea. We kept our cats outside in a big cage for a few hours a day and they loved it. One of them even managed to catch the occasional bird. (Pine siskin are really dumb birds)

Is there some way to prevent the feral cat from coming into your cat's space? Booby traps or ???

Good article on some other options: https://www.thedrakecenter.com/services/cats/blog/four-fixes-feline-behavior-issues

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trying to turn a cat that is used to going outdoors into a house cat at the age of 13 seems like an exercise in futility and unfair and traumatic to the cat. Rehoming won't solve that issue, it will only get it out of your life. Creating a cat run seems like the only real alternative, apart from having the cat put down.

My neighbor tried to do the opposite- turn a Siamese cat someone had sort of talked her into, into an outdoor cat, when it wanted to be inside and receive human affection. It didn't work well, and the person who had given it to her ended up taking it back, because she's fine with having indoor cats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  Unfortunately it is looking like Max did himself in from infections from his latest cat fight.  We are taking him to a new vet in Chapala that comes highly recommended by a number of cat people.  He has lost 20 percent of his body weight and does not seem to be responding to anti biotics.

We thought about trapping the feral cat, actually did this with another one and had it fixed and released once recovered.  That however won't keep Max from leaving the property and getting into God knows what.  

Dying young from excessive wandering is probably more traumatic than living well in a big house.  We have figured out how to give him outdoor time and remain safe.  For now, the priority is saving his life.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Best of luck with the Chapala vet (my friend sent you the info) and with Max's recovery. Paws and claws crossed!

And hope Max likes the new surroundings you'll create for him. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dr. Mayra in Chapala turned Max around in a hurry.  She immediately saw the dual problems of dehydration and fever, had him on IV and different medication in minutes, kept him overnight under observation, examined and properly dressed his "owies" and all for 600 pesos.  Picked him up this morning, fever broken, he's eating and of course trying  to get outside and do it all again.

Which is not going to happen.

Also Dr. Mayra listened to us when we described his poor eating and weight loss and recommended something that started working right away.  The vet in Riberas just looked at us and ignored it.

That "big name" (and big price) vet in Riberas will never see us again.

Now we need to get his weight back up.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Picked him up this morning, fever broken, he's eating and of course trying  to get outside and do it all again.

YAY for Max!!  Now get that  outdoor enclosure ready....  Mtn Mama's suggest of heavier duty screen is worth it.  We have it on any screen doors between in and out to discourage cats trying to break thru regular metal mosquito screen. Only need to go part way up.  And if you put a cat door between house and outer area (from inside the house), he can come and go daytime, and then you can close the door when you're ready  for him to call if a night .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Max is continuing to improve.  Dr. Mayra addressed his weight problem with a dietary supplement that appears to be working, his appetite is way up and he's starting to gain weight.  He's getting used to not going outside.  Once he's fully recovered he'll get restricted outside privileges but his wandering days are over.  We've had a number of spayed male cats but never one that seemed to retain so much tom cat personality.  Reading up on this I found out that this is very typical of male cats spayed relatively late.  In Max's case, he was probably about two.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

 We've had a number of spayed male cats but never one that seemed to retain so much tom cat personality.  Reading up on this I found out that this is very typical of male cats spayed relatively late.  In Max's case, he was probably about two.

Happy for Max!  Would love to know the name of dietary supplement.

There is one thing nobody may have considered.   I adopted a neutered male cat when he was about 2. He was a perfectly normal boy until age 5, when he suddenly exhibited all the signs of non-neutered behaviour....... including spraying in the house.  And pee was stinky, like  a tom cat.  Took him to be checked. Vet confirmed he had probably had one  undescended testicle, and at original job that  vet did not go inside (tougher surgery) to look for the other one. So much later, it "activated" and changed his outlook on life.  It's not common, but I've seen it several times since with 2 surgeries required same day.

Bad news... at that age (and certainly at Max's) they can't go in and look for the other one as would be totally embedded and too dangerous.  And even if they COULD find it,   missing even one teensy portion would be the same as not doing anything at all.  Clue to whether this is the issue or not is the smell.

And many pats to Max for  learning to be an indoor boy!!! To you MC... in my experience Max will adjust better if he never goes out than if he has supervised privileges.... your call.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2021 at 9:33 AM, Natasha said:

Happy for Max!  Would love to know the name of dietary supplement.

There is one thing nobody may have considered.   I adopted a neutered male cat when he was about 2. He was a perfectly normal boy until age 5, when he suddenly exhibited all the signs of non-neutered behaviour....... including spraying in the house.  And pee was stinky, like  a tom cat.  Took him to be checked. Vet confirmed he had probably had one  undescended testicle, and at original job that  vet did not go inside (tougher surgery) to look for the other one. So much later, it "activated" and changed his outlook on life.  It's not common, but I've seen it several times since with 2 surgeries required same day.

Bad news... at that age (and certainly at Max's) they can't go in and look for the other one as would be totally embedded and too dangerous.  And even if they COULD find it,   missing even one teensy portion would be the same as not doing anything at all.  Clue to whether this is the issue or not is the smell.

And many pats to Max for  learning to be an indoor boy!!! To you MC... in my experience Max will adjust better if he never goes out than if he has supervised privileges.... your call.

Just for you and the other cat lady:

May be a cartoon of text

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...