Chapala.com Webboard

Chagas?

Whipstock

10 hours ago, Guiness said:

We are in Chapala Haciendas and had a beautiful rain tree in our yard. Last spring, it was full of those bugs, kissing bugs are very toxic to people and pets. Be very careful not to touch them, they bite!

You should do some research before posting misinformation. Their bite isn't dangerous. They carry a parasite in their feces. That's what causes Chagas disease. They are attracted to warmth and are noctural. So they will seek the warmth of your breath, crawl on your face when you're asleep, people feel something in their sleep, wipe at their face and rub the feces into their mouth, nose or eye. That's how you contract Chagas.

And no, Mostly lost, it has nothing to do with sleeping outside, and brushing at your face while asleep is exactly how you get Chagas.

Apparently not all kissing bugs carry that parasite. At least that's what my doctor told me. But I kill them if I see them in my house, which has only been a few times.

Chagas is a horrible disease for which there is no cure.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Guiness said:

We are in Chapala Haciendas and had a beautiful rain tree in our yard. Last spring, it was full of those bugs, kissing bugs are very toxic to people and pets. Be very careful not to touch them, they bite!

I'm in CH and had a ton of these bugs last year.  I just squished them on the underside of leaves and sprayed the rest.  They are NOT Chagas bugs but look similar.  They are a bug that sucks the juice from plants.  Too many and they damage the plant.