Chapala.com Webboard

Wi fi extender

Depending on what you want to reach, you might consider a flat ethernet cable instead.     When we had an  android box for TV wifi was unreliable due to 9 inch thick  wall and some distance (22 feet) between modem and TV, it was suggested to us to get a long ethernet cable and change the TV from wifi to direct connection. Bought a 50 foot CAT 6 cable on Amazon U.S.    Cheap, and came very quickly.  Comes in white and black.  Had to drill a hole in the wall---- no biggie---- and worked like a charm until the android box got messed up, and with no Derek any more, we were in BIG trouble.

Solved that by buying a Firestick (Rich installed and programmed) and it receives the wifi at same TV location really well. 

If you have a fixed location for anything with a USB port,    you can get these cables up to about 100 feet long (I think).

30 minutes ago, Natasha said:

Depending on what you want to reach, you might consider a flat ethernet cable instead.     When we had an  android box for TV wifi was unreliable due to 9 inch thick  wall and some distance (22 feet) between modem and TV, it was suggested to us to get a long ethernet cable and change the TV from wifi to direct connection. Bought a 50 foot CAT 6 cable on Amazon U.S.    Cheap, and came very quickly.  Comes in white and black.  Had to drill a hole in the wall---- no biggie---- and worked like a charm until the android box got messed up, and with no Derek any more, we were in BIG trouble.

Solved that by buying a Firestick (Rich installed and programmed) and it receives the wifi at same TV location really well. 

If you have a fixed location for anything with a USB port,    you can get these cables up to about 100 feet long (I think).

We hardwired my wife's puter and it made a big dif from the previous wifi even though it is on same floor only about 20 ft. of mostly hallway from the modem. Our guests use the wifi and we do with some things we have on our smart tv through a concrete floor with little problem which is strange. Have you had your puters checked?

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

We hardwired my wife's puter and it made a big dif from the previous wifi even though it is on same floor only about 20 ft. of mostly hallway from the modem. Our guests use the wifi and we do with some things we have on our smart tv through a concrete floor with little problem which is strange. Have you had your puters checked?

My desktop is hard-wired and no prob. His laptop and tablet rely on wifi.... further away than the TV by a bunch and no prob. So I know it was the wifi signal to the android box that was the issue.

5 hours ago, Orygun Duck said:

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where locally I might be able to buy a wi-fi extender for our home? Thank you in advance. 

I bought 2 at Steren and used them to get the WiFi from the house down to the casita . No problem with the thick walls.

I installed a "mesh" type WiFi system in a 5,000 sq ft house with thick walls in Vista del Lago. It now covers every place in the compound. I recommend it for those serious about coverage. Easy to install and completely automatic in operation.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/TP-LINK-Deco-M4-3-Pack/dp/B07NF6V8SC/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_es_MX=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=1UY5SV1HH1D2Z&dchild=1&keywords=nest+wifi&qid=1624043218&sprefix=nest%2Caps%2C282&sr=8-9

Remember that WiFi will only deliver what the modem puts out and will not make much speed difference for slow internet service.

I tried, and I won’t suggest “extender”.
“Wireless throughput is reduced by at least 50%.”, said Wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_repeater#Drawbacks
I bought one and found out the hard way.

Now I’m using one of what AngusMactavish said, the Mesh.
Same brand, different model. And I love it.
It “extends” the range w/o reducing the throughput.
I bought the cheapest low-end one, with 2-pack only.

4 hours ago, NLU said:

I finally bought a Cat-8 cable ...

Apparently the cable selected is "outdoor", which is excellent, though "buryable" is probably better.  Unless you expect to have 'net service to the home at speeds exceeding 10 Gb/sec, a ruggedized Cat 6a - 7 product should perform the same, but why not 8.  The length limit on ethernet cables is usually 100 meters (300 ft), and my cursory tests at home indicate no major speed reduction at that length.  A longer ruggedized cable even at a lower Cat standard can afford great flexibility in cable placement and even burial (in PVC pipe, for instance).  

• Like 1

I have an extender for the Telmex modems I will give away.  I have finally gotten into this century by getting Totalplay internet.  I transferred my old phone number to my Totalplay account and delivered the Telmex modem back to them.  I also use a mesh system to extend WiFi to all corners of our lot. Actually there are empty lots on either side of our lot and I get full signal coverage on both those lots.  The eero mesh system is very stable and easy to set up.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rwh05 said:

I have an extender for the Telmex modems I will give away.  I have finally gotten into this century by getting Totalplay internet.  I transferred my old phone number to my Totalplay account and delivered the Telmex modem back to them.  I also use a mesh system to extend WiFi to all corners of our lot. Actually there are empty lots on either side of our lot and I get full signal coverage on both those lots.  The eero mesh system is very stable and easy to set up.

Another happy mesh user. : )
I asked neighbors in my social networking neighborhood.
Everyone was happy about it. No one complained.
It’s no-brainer choice for me.

On 6/18/2021 at 2:11 PM, AngusMactavish said:

I installed a "mesh" type WiFi system in a 5,000 sq ft house with thick walls in Vista del Lago. It now covers every place in the compound. I recommend it for those serious about coverage. Easy to install and completely automatic in operation.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/TP-LINK-Deco-M4-3-Pack/dp/B07NF6V8SC/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_es_MX=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=1UY5SV1HH1D2Z&dchild=1&keywords=nest+wifi&qid=1624043218&sprefix=nest%2Caps%2C282&sr=8-9

Remember that WiFi will only deliver what the modem puts out and will not make much speed difference for slow internet service.

I also have this one - works great, easy to install.