Chapala.com Webboard

Ortho Surgeon for Dupuytren's Contracture

11 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Do any of the local orthopedic doctors do this surgery?  Comments and recommendations appreciated. 

fyi, I have had Xiaflex treatment in the US, but I understand it is not available here in MX.  

I was lucky, as a steroid shot took care of mine. (NOB) The doctor said I might need 2 shots, but just before I was starting to consider the second shot, it released.

Me not so lucky.  Have it in both hands; down to 6 working fingers, including thumbs.  The Xiaflex worked for about 2 years, then the cords came back.  I've had needle aponeurotomy and Xiaflex, but think it's time for surgery.  Have had Dupuytren's for 20 years.  

Just now, Bisbee Gal said:

Me not so lucky.  Both hands and now down to 6 working fingers, including thumbs.  The Xiaflex worked for about 2 years, then the cords came back.  I've had needle aponeurotomy and Xiaflex, but think it's time for surgery.  Have had Dupuytren's for 20 years.  

Actually, I believe I had just simple "trigger finger" so my solution will not benefit you. Sorry and good luck.

Bisbee Gal, you have my sympathy. That does not sound like fun. Of course, I had to google to find out what it was and that started some other searches. The surgery described sounds like hell on wheels so I went looking for alternatives to Xiaflex... found this... 

image.png.e5108f04a58791236516a5e637c71bd5.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm....interesting.  I will expand my question.....anyone have experience with Fibroquel for Dupuytren's here?  If so, name of surgeon and appx. cost? 

In the US Xiaflex runs around 6K nowadays (it was 11K when I had it done in 2013).  Insurance covers it, but I think my fingers are likely too far gone.  The cords tend to grow in spurts and I had major deterioration in the past 18 months.  During that time due to Covid, I wasn't going to doctors.  

The surgery usually 'lasts' longer (the disease always comes back).  The Xiaflex kept my finger straight for under 2 years; have a friend who had the surgery in US and is still doing fine 4 to 5 years later.  

@FerretMuchísimas gracias for doing this research!

• Like 1

I had that micro- surgery in the US maybe 10 years ago. If one didn't know that, they would not be able to see/find scars. One reason is that I had a fantastic surgeon... but I also carried a small 'ball of silly putty' around with me and  constantly massaged the hand. Nothing on that hand is showing signs of return or another cord. 

But now the other hand has a cord that is needing attention as can't straighten out my pinky. Back to that surgeon in the Fall.

5 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Thanks, but I have an excellent hand ortho in US, but looking into having it done here.  I knew a man who had his Dupuytren's surgery here and was very happy with it.  I saw him before and after his surgery.  His condition was as bad as mine.  Sadly he passed away several years ago and I cannot recall his doctor's name.  

Made an appt. with Dr. Gonzalez at SAT Hospital for Wednesday.  Not sure if he does this surgery himself or will refer me to a Guadalajara surgeon.