Chapala.com Webboard

Why cohetes today ?

If you live in lower SAT, as I do, you have been going through this ridiculous "celebration" for 10 days. After 14 years I have accepted it and also my 2 older dogs. My new puppy is going a little nuts but after a few years she will also accept this "tradition". As far as the "rainy season lottery", I also am listed for today as the winner, but now seems like a long shot...but still praying to Tláloc, the Aztec Rain God. 4 more hours!!! 

Tlaloc.png

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, gringohombre said:

If you live in lower SAT, as I do, you have been going through this ridiculous "celebration" for 10 days. After 14 years I have accepted it and also my 2 older dogs. My new puppy is going a little nuts but after a few years she will also accept this "tradition". As far as the "rainy season lottery", I also am listed for today as the winner, but now seems like a long shot...but still praying to Tláloc, the Aztec Rain God. 4 more hours!!! 

Tlaloc.png

And you were rewarded by .62 inches of rain after midnight and a little before midnight.  He is a handsome fellow.

22 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Tlaloc.png

Shame on you for calling long-standing Mexican cultural traditions "ridiculous".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 8
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Brian Dalziel said:

Shame on you for calling long-standing Mexican cultural traditions "ridiculous".

Bravo Brian for pointing that out!  As annoying as they can be to us gringos let's not forget to respect the traditions of our guest country.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brian Dalziel said:

Many Mexican traditions are ridiculous.

• Sad 5

1 minute ago, pedro malo said:

Bravo Brian for pointing that out!  As annoying as they can be to us gringos let's not forget to respect the traditions of our guest country.

Why? If they are ridiculous.

Just now, cedros said:

Why?

If you haven't figured that out yet, you should go back to where you came from.  Key word is "RESPECT".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Brian Dalziel said:

I see that you are a "newbie" and maybe do not understand that we also have FREE SPEECH here. I happen to have been traveling and doing business here for over 35 years and living here full time for 14 as well as at one time being married to a Mexican woman. I live in this amazing pueblo of lower SAT about 2 blocks from the church and plaza. I am Christian but not Catholic, however I do think it is "ridiculous" that for 10 days every year, every day starting at 6AM and going on all day and well into the night we have to endure incessant bell ringing in conjunction with bombs bursting in air, ear jarring cohetes that are not eye appealing fireworks but just LOUD NOISE rockets!!! I do not think that many families with babies, children and pets within the noise range appreciate this "cultural tradition". I truly believe that the Catholic Church, that does much good work, would be much better off using this money to help the poor, and also promote the good will of the community surrounding them at this time each year. Just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I see that you are a "newbie" and maybe do not understand that we also have FREE SPEECH here. I happen to have been traveling and doing business here for over 35 years and living here full time for 14,.....

I have never found quantity to be a replacement for quality.

I assume the bells and cohetes were there first, before your choice to move in?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Whipstock said:

I have never found quantity to be a replacement for quality.

I assume the bells and cohetes were there first, before your choice to move in?

Yes, but that does not mean that I cannot comment and make my opinion known on it. Also I live among the locals here and most of my neighbors and friends here have the same thoughts on this subject. Also did I not say in my first post on this subject "After 14 years I have accepted it and also my 2 older dogs. My new puppy is going a little nuts but after a few years she will also accept this "tradition". Can't we all get along!!!

On 6/14/2021 at 7:30 PM, pedro malo said:

If you haven't figured that out yet, you should go back to where you came from.  Key word is "RESPECT".

Nonsense. Some, especially newbies, think many localcustoms are cute or interesting but they are pretty primitive. Would you like them in your hometown.

10 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I see that you are a "newbie" and maybe do not understand that we also have FREE SPEECH here. I happen to have been traveling and doing business here for over 35 years and living here full time for 14 as well as at one time being married to a Mexican woman. I live in this amazing pueblo of lower SAT about 2 blocks from the church and plaza. I am Christian but not Catholic, however I do think it is "ridiculous" that for 10 days every year, every day starting at 6AM and going on all day and well into the night we have to endure incessant bell ringing in conjunction with bombs bursting in air, ear jarring cohetes that are not eye appealing fireworks but just LOUD NOISE rockets!!! I do not think that many families with babies, children and pets within the noise range appreciate this "cultural tradition". I truly believe that the Catholic Church, that does much good work, would be much better off using this money to help the poor, and also promote the good will of the community surrounding them at this time each year. Just my opinion.

I also live in SAT.  At least they wait til 6am to go boom.  When I lived in Ajijic it was anytime day or night.   Being next to the church makes it much worse for Gringohombre and I get that.  Some of you folks have no idea what its like to be near the church.  You would get grumpy also!!!

For many of us living in lower SAT it’s not just the plaza where the cohetes are lit, it’s also at the street corners and on the street in front of houses.  Many of us have bedrooms facing the street so they go off and they sound like they are in bed with you.  I’ve become accustom to the noise however in particular the last day of the festival was excessively loud with cohetes going off ALL DAY long.  It’s not just expats that find that taxing after 10 days.  My friends and neighbors with small children haven’t slept much in over a week either.  It was exceptionally quiet last night in the hood, I suspect most of in lower SAT went to bed early and enjoyed a good long night sleep.  

"The Feast day of San Antonio is celebrated on June 13, the date of his death in 1231. In Mexico there are more than 60 communities hosting 9-day fiestas to honor San Antonio each June. At Lake Chapala, local legend ensures that the annual rains will surely begin by the Day of San Antonio, June 13." https://www.mexconnect.com/articles/1425-saint-anthony-and-john-the-baptist-june-festivals-at-lake-chapala/

I for one cherish the Mexican ability to party down and chill out frequently. Sure, the noise is annoying. But the celebrations started long before any expats arrived here and will continue long after we're dead and gone, and this is just common sense to everyone. So it puzzles me why every celebration every year causes so much whinging. If only my own countrymen north of the border knew how to enjoy life like they do here.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Our first home here was closer to the Ajijic plaza. After our first Fiesta de St. Andres we decided once was enough and thereafter planned a vacation during them.  While we decided to be away for part of the annual Fiesta,  we never ever thought for 1 second that 'oh, they really need to stop this.' 

I don't get people who think this way.  

The dates of these annual Fiestas are well-known, no surprises.  Plan ahead if you don't like them.

• Like 3

My last " hometown" in Canada, on a hobby farm, had bird scaring cannons going all day in the neighboring strawberry and blueberry fields. Just as loud as cohetes, but a lot longer than 9 days.

I don't hear any at all up in Chapala Haciendas. Just those dam screaming bugs - the sound of insanity.

2 hours ago, Dostortas said:

For many of us living in lower SAT it’s not just the plaza where the cohetes are lit, it’s also at the street corners and on the street in front of houses.  Many of us have bedrooms facing the street so they go off and they sound like they are in bed with you.  I’ve become accustom to the noise however in particular the last day of the festival was excessively loud with cohetes going off ALL DAY long.  It’s not just expats that find that taxing after 10 days.  My friends and neighbors with small children haven’t slept much in over a week either.  It was exceptionally quiet last night in the hood, I suspect most of in lower SAT went to bed early and enjoyed a good long night sleep.  

For us living here for many years, this was much worse than usual. In talking to a few of my local friends here, was informed that there is a new head priest here and he is trying to "make his mark", so to speak. 

22 hours ago, pedro malo said:

Many Mexicans don't like the cohetes either. The people setting off the cohetes should RESPECT people who don't like the intrusion of the cohetes. 

16 hours ago, gringohombre said:

For us living here for many years, this was much worse than usual. In talking to a few of my local friends here, was informed that there is a new head priest here and he is trying to "make his mark", so to speak. 

Yea but at least he doesn't do the loudspeaker stuff at eight in the morning like the previous priest. 

• Like 2