Chapala.com Webboard

Help and, or recommendations for low cost housing.

I have a friend who is in poor health and he is being forced to move due to the house he rents currently being sold. His resources are limited and I doubt he can afford more than $6000 pesos a month. If anyone knows of anything, or knows a person who would know places available in that price range please contact me.

Based on a friend's recent rental search experience,   pretty sure he will have to look in  less fancy areas of Chapala......  above Soriana,                  other side west of and above the bull ring, etc. Rents asked in San Antonio are outrageous as are those closer to the American Legion, etc. over there. Outlying towns maybe.... but could your friend do that?  Possibly some parts of Ixtlahuacan as well.  

There ARE some cheaper rentals in Buenavista but that too is ??? for a person in poor health.

I am terrible with names lately, but there is a regular poster on this board (Honey Bee?) who built a low income apartment building. Apparently many tenants have been unable to pay their rent because of work lost to Covid. Based on other small, low income rentals I have seen discussed, rents would be around $2,500 pesos per month. There are only 8 units i believe. Leaving enough for some at least once a week medical and personal attention. There is another poster on these boards called Gravy. He lives in a low income single apartment.

The problem as always will be old age's enemy - stairs.

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I am terrible with names lately, but there is a regular poster on this board (Honey Bee?) who built a low income apartment building. Apparently many tenants have been unable to pay their rent because of work lost to Covid. Based on other small, low income rentals I have seen discussed, rents would be around $2,500 pesos per month. There are only 8 units i believe. Leaving enough for some at least once a week medical and personal attention. There is another poster on these boards called Gravy. He lives in a low income single apartment.

The problem as always will be old age's enemy - stairs.

Unfortunately (but fortunately for me), my apartments are now all rented, but I thank you for the referral. ☺️ 

Updated 20 Jun: 

On the carretera in Ajijic, directly across the street (mountainside) from the bus station there is a bright posterboard sign advertising the apartment there for rent, along with a phone number to call.

Just this week, I drove on Ocampo heading east towards 5 de Mayo and saw two hand-written posters en español. One advertised a one bed, one bath apartment; the other (I think) was posted at the Papelería on Hidalgo and Juárez, or thereabouts, advertising a room for rent. Might be worth a walk-by, as I don't think the ads were directed to expats. 

I find that the best site for rentals is Access Lake Chapala Mexico, Ajijic Real Estate, Rentals & Homes

Click on listings and choose rentals which will tell you rentals that are available right now. Or, you can check out Leases Expiring and put your name on the list for something that MAY become available. Once you click on a section and it comes up, you can then arrange the list "low to high" and check the best bang for your buck. Suerte!

But is providing low rent housing to foreigners doing them any favors? What happens when they get sick? Is the landlord going to pay the medical bills? What if they drive? Is the landlord going to pay for insurance or accident damages? Who's going to pay the ever increasing utility bills? How many unknown contingencies can there be without any social safety net?

There have been long standing practices of thwarting the governmental financial standards for residency. So many of these cases end in tragedy.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, HarryB said:

But is providing low rent housing to foreigners doing them any favors? What happens when they get sick? Is the landlord going to pay the medical bills? What if they drive? Is the landlord going to pay for insurance or accident damages? Who's going to pay the ever increasing utility bills? How many unknown contingencies can there be without any social safety net?

There have been long standing practices of thwarting the governmental financial standards for residency. So many of these cases end in tragedy.

Excuse me.. But why would anyone object to someone looking for a low rent?  And even more based on their national origin because you assume they are not Mexican?

You have no idea how much money the person has. What insurance they have, or how many friends they have who could help if needed..

The OP said the house they are in has been sold and they must move. They have a budget of $6,000 for rent.  

• Like 3

I was referring to a problem situation facing the community. At no time did I mention the poster his/her financial status or origin? If there is a problem , it must be yours, no?

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, HarryB said:

I was referring to a problem situation facing the community. At no time did I mention the poster his/her financial status or origin? If there is a problem , it must be yours, no?

Then I am unclear. You did say: "But is providing low rent housing to foreigners doing them any favors?" Is that not referencing an origin? This is also the first time I have heard anyone say that this is some type of community problem. I would like to understand.

Exactly, and most who donate to charities have given to beyond their limits. Therefore, Go fund me may very well be a flop especially in the present and foreseeable future.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, HarryB said:

No Not me  You      "... is providing low rent housing to foreigners doing them any favors?"

And others are asking you the same...

It would seem to be odd that you would think foreigners should not be able to rent at low prices   Rent qualification should be based on national origin?