Chapala.com Webboard

Shipping Jewelry to US not allowed???

ManxMan

I went into iShop (SAT) and tried to ship two small necklaces to my daughter in the US and was told they wouldn't get through customs. I was told stones, silver, gold and some other metals can't be shipped. Are these actual restrictions or is customs that corrupt? Any suggestions on how to get these gifts to my daughter? These aren't expensive necklaces.

Edited by ManxMan
Clarity - correct location

10 hours ago, ManxMan said:

I went into iShop (Ajijic) and tried to ship two small necklaces to my daughter in the US and was told they wouldn't get through customs. I was told stones, silver, gold and some other metals can't be shipped. Are these actual restrictions or is customs that corrupt? Any suggestions on how to get these gifts to my daughter? These aren't expensive necklaces.

Are you sure you were at ishop?  There isn´t a ishop store in Ajijic, only in SAT and SJC.  Maybe you were at Sol y Luna.

ar

We tried to ship an item to the U.S. from ishop about 3 months ago only to be told, can't ship it.  I asked them to contact FedEx while I waited.  They did and FedEx said "no problem".  As suggested by MostlyLost, contact FedEx, UPS or whatever shipping service you want to use and get an answer directly from them.

US import restrictions have been in place for many years. High luxury import tariffs. Some people go abroad, especially Asia, buy gold and then try to wear it back when they come home. Had a friend making a living buying gold chains in Thailand, then selling them on home trip via Los Angeles. Was good - until he got robbed and shot ( but lived). My god, that was 40 years ago!