Chapala.com Webboard

Crossing at the Nogales... safe? and other travel concerns, questions

We are going on a road trip in mid July and are hoping to cross at Nogales on our way to Tucson and Calif. Our proposed route takes us past Mazatlan, Culiacan, Los Mochis, Ciudad Obregon, Hermosillo. Recommended sleep stops along the way would be appreciated and any and all comments are more than welcome.

Thanks,

Bill 

It is a well traveled route, and you should expect nothing out of the ordinary.  Just decide how far you want to drive each day and pick an overnight location, as there are many choices.  The last time we used that route, we did it in two long days with an overnight in Culiacan.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Yes Culiacan  Chapo's family stronghold. Look up his son while you stay there, he throws great parties.

CULIACÁN

Violent clashes erupt between cartel gunmen and police in Mexico

Oct 18, 2019

Stay current or hide under your bed.

OK... some specifics....   folks most often stay along that route in Mazatlan... out on the cuota or drive into town, Navajoa Best Western, Guaymos/San Carlos, or Hermosilo. Pick the number of miles you want to drive per day.  I personally would not stay in Culiacan  or Los Mochis but maybe that's just me. 

Note:  Safe Driving;   I've driven from Lakeside many many times to the border, about every way one can go... and probably a couple of ways not many others take.... and have never had a problem with my 'safety' on any route. Mordida attempts in a couple of places closer to the border but otherwise nothing that approached being unsafe.

There are 'possibilities' and there are 'probabilities'. IMO they are not closely aligned.

We travel the route from Lake Chapala to Nogales frequently in the last 2 years. The only issues we have had are in Navajoa with the police there who on 2 separate occasions in the last year tried to shake us down. We were just driving out of town each time and they stopped us to check on our TIP and insist that it is expired when it clearly is not and is in good standing. We stood firm each time and did not pay the mordida and they finally just let us go on our way. 

We travel with dogs so we prefer to drive about 7 hours a day. From Lake Chapala we usually stay in Mazatlan at a small newer motel called El Descanso Inn right off the highway. No ocean view or even close to the ocean but very clean, has a pool, free breakfast with the room, and the beds in the newest part of the motel, the building that does not have the office in it, are much more comfortable than the rock slabs in the building that does have the office in it. The only way to book this motel is to call them or through Booking.com. Most of the time we spend the second night in Navajoa at the Del Rio Best Western which has a restaurant at least. After our latest issues with the cops there we now prefer to stay somewhere else but obviously we still have to drive through and the issues with the police there have nothing to do with staying overnight. I know a number of people that like the Booye Hotel in Navajoa but no dogs are allowed so we have not stayed there ourselves. We have stayed in Culican with no issues a few times as well even though of course we knew of the infamous shootout with Chapo's family there. 

All in all I think the travel from Lake Chapala to Nogales is one of the "safer" routes north and we feel comfortable driving it. 

"We travel the route from Lake Chapala to Nogales frequently in the last 2 years. The only issues we have had are in Navajoa with the police there who on 2 separate occasions in the last year tried to shake us down. We were just driving out of town each time and they stopped us to check on our TIP and insist that it is expired when it clearly is not and is in good standing. We stood firm each time and did not pay the mordida and they finally just let us go on our way."

Sue... this is exactly what happened to me a few weeks ago, probably the same two greaseball policia municipal cops... they are still doing that, They are just trying to shake down tourists for a mordida. They have no right to check TIP's, it's a federal matter.. If heading south you no doubt got your TIP checked a few miles near the border of Sinaloa and Sonora.. and possibly further along down south toward Tepic.  Remember if you offer to or give a mordida to a cop, you are committing a serious offense.. they can arrest you on the spot jail you and probably tow your car if a mordida or favor is offered... just don't. 

• Like 1