Chapala.com Webboard

DHL broker

Mack

14 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

It has to do with the customs agent for import duties for Mexico. You need to talk with the customs agent (broker) as to how they would like the form completed for the lowest duties.

Thanks, got it. I was given a bit of conflicting info by DHL. One person there said to just present a permiso de importacion myself at some government department, but afterwards, I got the email with the agent's details. I had no idea I had to use a customs agent for this. The form was just asking for my name and address and the name of the agent I want to use. I've sent the form back so I'll see what's next. I'm probably being overly suspicious, but I hope it's all legit.

All shipments need to pass through customs.  I am assuming because you are describing it as freight it is bigger than a a cubic foot or two.

Anything of size usually requires an agent to handle the process.  For large shipments it is best to use a freight forwarder  who will handle the entire process from start to finish. 

Also some shipments to Mexico can be done easily with an import service. You ship it to them and they handle the process to your address in Mexico. 

http://www.merkalink.com/index.aspx