Chapala.com Webboard

Election Violence

This is already the bloodiest election in Mexico with 89 politicians murdered, and many more kidnapped and / or beaten. Should we be taking extra precautions for election night? Lights out early, don' t go out? The election does not seem as tribal here as many places in Mexico, but I did hear the dedication of the new fountain got quite testy between political opponents.

• Sad 2

30 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Politics on here is illegal too. What is your motive for posting this gary waller?

Just looking out for your safety little brother. You have lot to deal with, changing your local professional football team to the " Edmonton Elks" has to be the lamest name change in sports history!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, gringal said:

I don't see the post as "political" since no party or candidate was endorsed.  It was advice as to what precautions we might take, based on the violence that has occured so far.

Exactly.

Just a good idea to steer clear of the electioneering and the participants this weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's a bit generalized and unfocused to say be careful of violence here. Pretty much every death and attempt has been linked to cartels and gangs in key cities and states, from what I read. These postings make it sound like it is dangerous to go outside during election hours. Typically not the time that these activities take place anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BeanRoy said:

I think it's a bit generalized and unfocused to say be careful of violence here. Pretty much every death and attempt has been linked to cartels and gangs in key cities and states, from what I read. These postings make it sound like it is dangerous to go outside during election hours. Typically not the time that these activities take place anyway.

That's talking some sense about this non issue for the vast majority on this board. Amazon cut of ordering booze early,by the way, so that they don't mess with Sabados y Domingo.

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Just looking out for your safety little brother. You have lot to deal with, changing your local professional football team to the " Edmonton Elks" has to be the lamest name change in sports history!

My team that I have been a fan of since 1952 did not change their name. Again you misconscrew something about me. And I don't think you wish to look out for my safety based on your many silly posts directed at me. Troll on-SNORK!

argos with grey cup.jpg

16 hours ago, happyjillin said:

My team that I have been a fan of since 1952 did not change their name. Again you misconscrew something about me. And I don't think you wish to look out for my safety based on your many silly posts directed at me. Troll on-SNORK!

argos with grey cup.jpg

Toronto? - ewwww :)

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Just on a side note, I live in an all Mexican neighborhood and have been asking many young people (early twenties) if they will vote on Sunday. Sadly many say their vote would not change a thing so they will not bother to vote. ☹️

Very sad. This will be one of the most important elections in Mexico in decades. 

56 minutes ago, BeanRoy said:

It's only a midterm. Sure he could lose his majority, but I'm wondering exactly which political party will do any better, particularly while he remains Presidente.

The PRI/PAN/PRD coalition can design many maneuvers to stop the carnage if they can achieve a majority. They can pass the 2022 federal budget to correct many errors etc.. With a 2/3 vote he can be impeached. He can be charged with treason. etc. by the Deputados (lawmakers). Lots of things can be done to stop/slow down the direction of the present situation.

• Thanks 2

Also, on a corruption note, on Wednesday evening, I went in to Chapala to get an ice cream. The Cascada area was jam packed with MC supporters (I believe they were all locals). On the main drag PRI was getting ready with for their parade, fairly large crowd and in the side street across from Soriana,  Hagamos (what ever party they are) were also getting ready (fairly large crowd). BUT what caught my eyes was the number of buses parked on the Soriana feeder street which tells me that some political parties are busing in supporters....

2 hours ago, BeanRoy said:

It's only a midterm. Sure he could lose his majority, but I'm wondering exactly which political party will do any better, particularly while he remains Presidente.

It's not that they'd do better. It's to prevent him from enacting several of the dangerous proposals he has in mind for 2nd half of his term. Gaining more seats would give a better chance of achieving this before it's too late.

I AM  a Mexican citizen, but will say no more because I want to respect the rules of this board.

• Like 6

Hah... beat you by a country mile amigo.  Got there around 12:30.....walked toward "my" alphabet group and had only one person ahead of me!  Took the    girl longer to find my name in the credential register book than all the rest of the process. 

But must say am encouraged..... MANY people in the A-F group, and quite a few in the others that didn't apply to me. And ans always in SA..... everyone being calm, quiet , and orderly.