Chapala.com Webboard

Antibody Test for SARS-Cov-2

Living in Ajijic I had my first dose of the Sinovac vaccine on day 1 at the malecon in Ajijic.  I had my second dose, on day 1 in Chapala.

Today I went to the hospital/clinic on the carretera in Ajijic to have the test to check on my antibody level.  This requires a simple blood draw and you return a few hours later for the restult.  Cost $800

My results were frankly devastating.  I have no (zero) antibodies.                                     Anticuerpos IgM   Negativo                                                                                                 Anticuerpos IgG    Negativo

Nota:  Translated by Google  This test is presumptive, not confirmatory, so if a negative result is obtained, it does not indicate the absence of SARS-Cov-2 in the patient.  The correct interpretation of the the should be carried out by your treating physician, taking into account the laboratory result and medical history."

The lab technician and the lady on the desk told me of two other locals who also had the test had no antibodies.   So, if you had the Sinovac do not assume you are protected by antibodies.  We need more people to take the test.                                                                                                         

Maybe I can answer your question as I had a Sinovac vaccination March 17th  then a gap of about 40 days my second vaccination.  After 8 more days I had an antibody test and I had lots of antibodies.  Gaps in between were very important. When did you have your first and second  vaccinations and your antibody test. You need to be more specific about your dates. I had my antibody test done by the "best" lab in Guadalajara. 

2 hours ago, Floradude said:

Living in Ajijic I had my first dose of the Sinovac vaccine on day 1 at the malecon in Ajijic.  I had my second dose, on day 1 in Chapala.

Today I went to the hospital/clinic on the carretera in Ajijic to have the test to check on my antibody level.  This requires a simple blood draw and you return a few hours later for the restult.  Cost $800

My results were frankly devastating.  I have no (zero) antibodies.                                     Anticuerpos IgM   Negativo                                                                                                 Anticuerpos IgG    Negativo

Nota:  Translated by Google  This test is presumptive, not confirmatory, so if a negative result is obtained, it does not indicate the absence of SARS-Cov-2 in the patient.  The correct interpretation of the the should be carried out by your treating physician, taking into account the laboratory result and medical history."

The lab technician and the lady on the desk told me of two other locals who also had the test had no antibodies.   So, if you had the Sinovac do not assume you are protected by antibodies.  We need more people to take the test.                                                                                                         

Don't waste your money!!! 

If your test did not look for the specific antibodies that your vaccine makes then it would be definitely be negative.

The antibody test that you were given was most likley looking for the antibodies produced by having covid. It would be negative for antibodies produced by any of the vaccines.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) discourages antibody testing for assessing immunity after getting the vaccine.

A vaccinated person is very likely to get a negative result from a serology test, even if the vaccine was successful and protective. That’s because different serology tests detect antibodies to different parts of the virus.

Some tests detect antibodies to the spike protein of the virus, which are produced in response to viral infection or the vaccine. Others detect antibodies to a different part of the virus called the nucleocapsid protein, which are produced in response to infection, but not by the current vaccines.

The antibody test that you need is a new one that many labs don't do yet I am told by various labs and doctors.

No it doesn't cover it.  The serology test you took looks for antibodies produced by Covid. The results you listed would only apply to antibodies produced by a covid infection to detect antibodies to the nucleocapsid protein.

A vaccinated person should not be alarmed or worried if they receive a negative antibody test result because this test does not detect antibodies from the Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen, and many other COVID-19 vaccines, which were developed against the spike protein of the virus,” says Fernando Martinez, M.D., medical director of Laboratory Medicine. “This reinforces the guidance from the CDC that serology tests should not be used to test for immunity.”

You would need an antibody test designed to look for the specific antibodies your individual vaccine produces. 

• Like 3

The antibody test that you need is a new one designed with Sinovac in mind. Many labs don't do this test yet I am told by various labs and doctors. Knowing the Ajjic/hospital clinc I doubt they can do the right antibody test.

3 hours ago, Floradude said:

Thank you everyone.  I have decided to try and put my test results out of my mind.  I AM VACCINATED, THEREFORE I AM.

Yes, don't worry. Test again at Chopo or Best Labs in  a few weeks or so. They are both in Riberas and they both said that have the right test. 

58 minutes ago, cedros said:

Yes, don't worry. Test again at Chopo or Best Labs in  a few weeks or so. They are both in Riberas and they b oth said that have the right test. 

Don't waste your money.  If you took the vaccine you have antibodies.   

Did you get tested to see if you had antibodies after getting a flu vaccine? Smallpox vaccine?  Polio vaccine?  Of course not  why?  Waste of money.

• Thanks 1

Conspiracy and anti-science mentality is raging like the pandemia itself. Look at the number of people who don't believe in getting vaccinated for anything. I'd like to see what they were doing in public school getting their shots, before they got swayed by fools on the Internet.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Don't waste your money.  If you took the vaccine you have antibodies.   

Did you get tested to see if you had antibodies after getting a flu vaccine? Smallpox vaccine?  Polio vaccine?  Of course not  why?  Waste of money.

For me it was not a waste of money at all. I am going to have a second test in a few weeks.

• Sad 1