Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Visiting Lakeside and getting a positive Covid test reading right before departure


Recommended Posts

Your visit is almost over and you get positive test results before flying back to the US. What happens then? You can't fly back to the US, obviously, without a negative antigen test result.

New hotel, guesthouse Air B&B reservations? Are you charged a change or/rebooking fee with most air carriers? And what about the Covid test itself? You may even be asymptomatic and feel 100%. Do you have to see a doctor and begin  a course of treatment and get yourself retested before making a new airline reservation?

These are all potential issues right now. Just wondering if anyone on the forum has encountered this scenario......or know of someone who has.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would use as much social distancing as possible, make sure I am properly masked and after using significant hand sanitizer; get a second test at another lab as confirmation (or contradiction).

Of course you may  then need a tie breaker,......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Whipstock said:

I would use as much social distancing as possible, make sure I am properly masked and after using significant hand sanitizer; get a second test at another lab as confirmation (or contradiction).

Of course you may  then need a tie breaker,......

He has a very good point especially with the antigen test.  It is very possible to get the wrong results with that test not likely but possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lcscats said:

He has a very good point especially with the antigen test.  It is very possible to get the wrong results with that test not likely but possible.

In the same sentence you have said that it is very possible, and then it is not likely but possible,........?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

False positivity very low with antigen tests.  https://www.hearthsidemedicine.com/post/rapid-covid-tests-we-have-them-but-how-accurate

WHAT DOES A FALSE NEGATIVE OR FALSE POSITIVE MEAN?

In those who don’t have symptoms, the false negative rate — meaning my test is negative but I actually have the disease — can be as high as 50%. This can have tremendous consequences as we try to contain the spread of COVID-19.

The false positive rate — meaning I test positive but I do not really have the disease — is quite low. So, if you test positive from a rapid test it is more likely you do have the disease.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It appears labs must report positive test results to MXN health authorities.  This from the lab that partners with AeroMéxico for reduced testing prices for their passengers.  

The tests strictly adhere to the national and international guidelines, protocols and standards established by the Institute for Epidemiological Diagnosis and Reference (InDRE). Additionally, following the implemented protocols, we comply with the obligation to immediately notify the corresponding health authorities of reactive or positive COVID-19 results for their respective clinical and epidemiological follow-ups.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The FDA has a different take on false positives:

"This means that, in a population with 1% prevalence, only 30% of individuals with positive test results actually have the disease."

I would protect myself and others, and get a second test.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/letters-health-care-providers/potential-false-positive-results-antigen-tests-rapid-detection-sars-cov-2-letter-clinical-laboratory

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

In those who don’t have symptoms, the false negative rate — meaning my test is negative but I actually have the disease — can be as high as 50%.

 

20 minutes ago, Whipstock said:

This means that, in a population with 1% prevalence, only 30% of individuals with positive test results actually have the disease.

Wow, these tests sure are great protection.  LOL

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2021 at 6:35 PM, sm1mex said:

I think protocol is quarantine 14 days and be retested. I think airlines are not charging change fees now for a positive antigen test. Doesn’t mean you have covid but been exposed. 

Quarantine for 14 days even if you're without symptoms (and feel 100%) assuming that you've been exposed to it (hence the positive test result)? Assuming there is no change fee by the airlines, make a new flight reservation for more than 14 days in the future (as you're staying put for at least 14 days to quarantine) and getting retested right after the 14 day quarantine (but within 72 hrs. of your new departure date) and hoping like hell it's not another positive result?

Does this sound like the likely scenario following the first positive test result? There sure are a lot of variables with all of this. Probably safest to abstain from travel until the antigen test is no longer required to fly back the US. (Unless you absolutely have to travel, of course). Goodness knows how long that's going to be......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, blankletmusic said:

.......

Probably safest to abstain from travel until the antigen test is no longer required to fly back the US. (Unless you absolutely have to travel, of course). Goodness knows how long that's going to be......

Thousands of people are flying to the USA from Mexico daily. 

If you are worried you might get a false result from an antigen test then pay for the more expensive PCR.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2021 at 3:29 PM, blankletmusic said:

Your visit is almost over and you get positive test results before flying back to the US. What happens then? You can't fly back to the US, obviously, without a negative antigen test result.

New hotel, guesthouse Air B&B reservations? Are you charged a change or/rebooking fee with most air carriers? And what about the Covid test itself? You may even be asymptomatic and feel 100%. Do you have to see a doctor and begin  a course of treatment and get yourself retested before making a new airline reservation?

These are all potential issues right now. Just wondering if anyone on the forum has encountered this scenario......or know of someone who has.

 

 

Wouldn't you assume the other side of the fence (where you are headed) would have been the place to ask your questions?  Other than you can't get on a plane in the first place wtih positive test. Just wonderin'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First get insurance for the flight for a few dollars so that you can change your flight for any reasons especially covid. After that enjoy your trip if you have a positive result and feel ok d the test again and see. Be prepared to stay an extra 14 days and have medical insurance in the case you get really sick and want to go to a private hospital.

By the way o a personal basis my brother died of covid, he was tested 3 times and was negative 3 times so so much for the accuracy of the tests. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...