Chapala.com Webboard

Cafe Magana

fishcake

1 hour ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Can anyone really forget Jeffrey… He was one of a kind… Personally I miss both Jeffrey and Cafe Magana .

You either “got” him or you didn’t. I got him — and his food. He was (and probably still is) a real character. I will never forget his hand printed signs all over the women’s bathroom. Some people were very insulted by them. They cracked me up. Every time he had to clean up an overflow because some dumbass thought she was special and could flush her toilet paper there’d be another sign. They started off politely asking and each one grew increasingly angry and profane. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Xena said:

You either “got” him or you didn’t. I got him — and his food. He was (and probably still is) a real character. I will never forget his hand printed signs all over the women’s bathroom. Some people were very insulted by them. They cracked me up. Every time he had to clean up an overflow because some dumbass thought she was special and could flush her toilet paper there’d be another sign. They started off politely asking and each one grew increasingly angry and profane. 

Also the men's room...Very entertaining!!! 

• Haha 1

Only went once. couldn't believe the final prices. We had two hamburgers, side of fries, side of onion rings, two pints of beer. With taxes, etc., 600 pesos plus tip. that was a few years ago obviously. I think Jeffrey was very much in love with his wife, and he hated to see her work so hard for such little profit. Newbies got dinged, but they don't comeback.

• Sad 3

We went back multiple times, though not for burgers.  Roast beef with Yorkshire pudding; and also the aforementioned Fish n Chips.  And a few other sandwiches.  His home-made bangers (which he also sold raw in a few different flavors/styles) were excellent; we kept some in our freezer.  Ribs, but they may have been on special, not regular menu.  

Don't remember exact prices, but they were certainly not out of line with other eateries at that time.  Not by a long shot.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

We went back multiple times, though not for burgers.  Roast beef with Yorkshire pudding; and also the aforementioned Fish n Chips.  And a few other sandwiches.  His home-made bangers (which he also sold raw in a few different flavors/styles) were excellent; we kept some in our freezer.  Ribs, but they may have been on special, not regular menu.  

Don't remember exact prices, but they were certainly not out of line with other eateries at that time.  Not by a long shot.

He was the first to charge 16% IVA on food. He said he had no choice, and that it would put him out of business. Six months later, that is what happened. That is the time frame I am talking about.

54 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

He was the first to charge 16% IVA on food. He said he had no choice, and that it would put him out of business. Six months later, that is what happened. That is the time frame I am talking about.

Huh???  Restaurants here have charged IVA (embedded in their prices) for a long long time.  

We went to Magana's at least monthly since we arrived in 2008 until he moved.  I don't at all remember his prices jumping towards the end. 

You said you went ONCE....me thinks you are making things up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Huh???  Restaurants here have charged IVA (embedded in their prices) for a long long time.  

We went to Magana's at least monthly since we arrived in 2008 until he moved.  I don't at all remember his prices jumping towards the end. 

You said you went ONCE....me thinks you are making things up. 

I can´t imagine what this guy is talking about....prices?  I used to eat there at least twice a week and his prices matched the quality of his food.  All restaurants charge IVA by law, so what is that all about?  He was from an Irish-Brit family, born, bred, and buttered in Manchester.  I played American football, collegiate and professionally, so we talked a lot about sports, or at least the two we knew.  And he didn´t play "soccer" because you would not call it that in Manchester or anywhere else in the UK.....it´s football .LOL

He talked strait and no BS, he said what he thought and there wasn´t a phony bone in his body. Take him or leave him, he couldn´t have cared less.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

What about the other Geoffrey..... Kay and Kiki are they still around, this Brit also had a similar mind set, maybe its a British trait. He was a very generous benefactor as long as things were done his way

Have you ever done anything "generous"?

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

What about the other Geoffrey..... Kay and Kiki are they still around, this Brit also had a similar mind set, maybe its a British trait. He was a very generous benefactor as long as things were done his way

Departed several years ago, under tragic circumstances.   Last I heard they/he were in Arizona, USA