Chapala.com Webboard

Water future

I wanted to clearup what could have been some misunderstandings about RafterB recent post. There is no way that the City of Guadalajara has any rights to access Lakeside water. This water, and every stream or trinklet belongs to the people of Mexico. That is deep law, set in stone. Guadalajara would like more lake water, building a second pipeline to Guadalajara, but that has been soundly turned down. Stop the waste of what you are already given, then maybe we can talk.

The water from Lakeside has to be more naturally collected. The water has to be collected, not some entertaining amuse.

l

Do you think we folks at lakeside have the ability to defend Lake Chapala in Mexico?  I don't.  I believe we should let Guad build the second pipeline and fix the first pipeline so that they can do proper maintenance on one while using another.  We lose 40% of the water in the old setup.  I believe Guad has the money and lawyers to protect the lake.  We have a bunch of people waving signs and frankly no one pays any attention.  A huge fight is going to be had over the lake at some point and frankly we are not prepared.  We are better off politically and financially having a strong and good relationship with Guad.   I know many of you will dismiss what I say but I am a realist and many of you are not.  Better to keep your enemy close as Winston Churchill said as he stacked his war cabinet with all his enemies. Yes the last water grab was beaten down.  I doubt if we will continue to be successful in the future.

Discuss away!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lcscats said:

Do you think we folks at lakeside have the ability to defend Lake Chapala in Mexico?  I don't.  I believe we should let Guad build the second pipeline and fix the first pipeline so that they can do proper maintenance on one while using another.  We lose 40% of the water in the old setup.  I believe Guad has the money and lawyers to protect the lake.  We have a bunch of people waving signs and frankly no one pays any attention.  A huge fight is going to be had over the lake at some point and frankly we are not prepared.  We are better off politically and financially having a strong and good relationship with Guad.   I know many of you will dismiss what I saw but I am a realist and many of you are not.  Better to keep your enemy close as Winston Churchill said as he stacked his war cabinet with all his enemies. Yes the last water grab was beaten down.  I doubt if we will continue to be successful in the future.

Discuss away!

Right on the money.

21 hours ago, lcscats said:

Do you think we folks at lakeside have the ability to defend Lake Chapala in Mexico? 

They have successfully done so in the 1970s. When CDMX wanted to build a 3 metre retaining wall for what was left of the Lake. Then sell or lease what was left as farmland. There was also to be a hydroelectric plant that a property developer put in to sell industrial land in Guadalajara. It never ran properly because the water levels changed so often. The artificial Lake would solve that. The failure was they got greedy, and also wanted a pipeline to CDMX. It was very close to a done deal, approved by the Presidente and everything. Then everything hit the fan, the people of Guadalajara were irate The Chilangos were stealing their Lake. Another CDMX error, they didn' t realise how many locals loved the Lake.

I am told the problem is not a lack water, but rather extremely wasteful irrigation systems, like century old dirt channels you would see in parts of Africa, versus modern drip and timered irrigation systems.

Guadalajara''s water problems will depend on the new Rio Verde dam. Which is already two years behind from what was budgetted and approved.

22 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

They have successfully done so in the 1970s. When CDMX wanted to build a 3 metre retaining wall for what was left of the Lake. Then sell or lease what was left as farmland. There was also to be a hydroelectric plant that a property developer put in to sell industrial land in Guadalajara. It never ran properly because the water levels changed so often. The artificial Lake would solve that. The failure was they got greedy, and also wanted a pipeline to CDMX. It was very close to a done deal, approved by the Presidente and everything. Then everything hit the fan, the people of Guadalajara were irate The Chilangos were stealing their Lake. Another CDMX error, they didn' t realise how many locals loved the Lake.

I am told the problem is not a lack water, but rather extremely wasteful irrigation systems, like century old dirt channels you would see in parts of Africa, versus modern drip and timered irrigation systems.

Guadalajara''s water problems will depend on the new Rio Verde dam. Which is already two years behind from what was budgetted and approved.

joke advice.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Very interesting.  Hope history repeats itself but I still think it would be smart to give them another pipeline rather than waste 40%of the water as we currently do. Wasted water hurts both parties.  

Out of curiosity do we have the right to built a water treatment plant and use lake water  to replace wells when they fail??  Do you know how Guad got the rights to build the failing pipeline?

Thanks for the history lesson.  

7 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Very interesting.  Hope history repeats itself but I still think it would be smart to give them another pipeline rather than waste 40%of the water as we currently do. Wasted water hurts both parties.  

Out of curiosity do we have the right to built a water treatment plant and use lake water  to replace wells when they fail??  Do you know how Guad got the rights to build the failing pipeline?

Thanks for the history lesson.  

Yes, another pipeline is necessary if they can come up with the money. They could also focus on not wasting so much water in Guadalajara with leaking pipes and watering lawns. 

23 hours ago, lcscats said:

Do you think we folks at lakeside have the ability to defend Lake Chapala in Mexico?  

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Your are talking about two different scenarios, involving two different "locals."

@CHILLIN is talking about a grab at the Lake by the Feds in Mexico City which Tapatios fought against.  Enough big money, big population and powerful politicians in Guadalajara to fight the Feds.  And while Tapatios love the Lake, the politicians in Guad were probably more concerned over  their water supply being siphoned off by CDMX, rather than the aesthetic issues.  

@lcscats is talking about Lakeside locals trying to stop Guadalajara from getting more water from the Lake as it continues to grow.  

Look up the Rio Verde dam, Zapodillo reservoir project. They have already completed I don't know how many metres needed, but at least half, for Guadalajara and Leon. But the locals about to be flooded created a very temporary restraint from flooding. But they are so close to finishing the dam. Time & cajones.

57 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Your are talking about two different scenarios, involving two different "locals."

@CHILLIN is talking about a grab at the Lake by the Feds in Mexico City which Tapatios fought against.  Enough big money, big population and powerful politicians in Guadalajara to fight the Feds.  And while Tapatios love the Lake, the politicians in Guad were probably more concerned over  their water supply being siphoned off by CDMX, rather than the aesthetic issues.  

@lcscats is talking about Lakeside locals trying to stop Guadalajara from getting more water from the Lake as it continues to grow.  

No, Lakeside will lose.

I would think a start, would be for SIMAPA to repair the leaks that keep the water from being under pressure in all lines all the time. Would a Sticky Post at the top of the forum help where we could post water leaks help pressure the local SIMAPA to repair them? Water lines without pressure tend to syphon in bacteria and waste at most leaks.

• Haha 1