canapes oysters

caesar salad

fettuccini with eggplant

salmon in mustard sauce and chayote

filet mignon au poivre w/cauliflower & scalloped potatoes

poached peach in ice cream & strawberry coulis

fixed price is 1000mxn plus beer and wine

please come by. central Chapala Ninos Heroes 58C

I think I will stick to Mi Abuelas...My Mexican Grandma's place about 2 blocks from my house here in lower SAT. Full lunch with rice and beans...50 pesos and the menu is on the wall!!!

Granma's house.jpg

Me Abuelas (My Mexican grandmothers).jpg

Granma's kitchen.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

From an earlier thread: 

this is a sample menu

canapes oysters

caesar salad

fettuccini with eggplant

salmon in mustard sauce and chayote

filet mignon au poivre w/cauliflower & scalloped potatoes

poached peach in ice cream & strawberry coulis

fixed price is 1000mxn plus beer and wine

please come by. central Chapala Ninos Heroes 58C

At this price, I'll have to pass on this restaurant.  About as high as I've seen anywhere Lakeside.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, artsnob said:

That is a strange combination of stuff to eat in one meal, and a little pricey, Maybe the wine is high quality..We will wait till reviews come in before we try it

A LITTLE pricey, you say???  fixed price is 1000mxn plus beer and wine....I am sure that mi abuelas will allow you to bring a bottle of wine!!!

• Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 5:37 PM, gringohombre said:

I think I will stick to Mi Abuelas...My Mexican Grandma's place about 2 blocks from my house here in lower SAT. Full lunch with rice and beans...50 pesos and the menu is on the wall!!!

Granma's house.jpg

Granma's kitchen.jpg

That place reminds me of the old "Hole In the Wall" in Ajijic.  Lucky you!

• Like 3

Note that the serving time has been changed to 6 p.m.   I think that's a good idea.

However, that fixed price menu of 1000 pesos means that one is paying approximately 166 pesos for each of 6 courses.  Since there are a number of restaurants serving good meals in pleasant, sit down, settings for around the price of one of those courses, I don't predict success for this new restaurant unless there are some changes made in that area.  Possibly an a la carte choice for smaller appetites would be a good option. I,for one, couldn't down six courses of any size, and I rarely have dessert.

I do appreciate excellent food preparation and would like to have the option of having it on special occasions, so I'd like to hear some reviews from people who have been to this new place.

I think I will stick to Mi Abuelas...My Mexican Grandma's place about 2 blocks from my house here in lower SAT. Full lunch with rice and beans...50 pesos and the menu is on the wall!!!

Hey gringohombre, where is this place and what are their hours?  Like to take my brother there for a real Mexican experience.

From that picture I'd say it would be a BIG mistake to mess with those two ladies!  :D 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, gringal said:

Note that the serving time has been changed to 6 p.m.   I think that's a good idea.

However, that fixed price menu of 1000 pesos means that one is paying approximately 166 pesos for each of 6 courses.  Since there are a number of restaurants serving good meals in pleasant, sit down, settings for around the price of one of those courses, I don't predict success for this new restaurant unless there are some changes made in that area.  Possibly an a la carte choice for smaller appetites would be a good option. I,for one, couldn't down six courses of any size, and I rarely have dessert.

I do appreciate excellent food preparation and would like to have the option of having it on special occasions, so I'd like to hear some reviews from people who have been to this new place.

I am curious, too. Their first menu definitely appears to be a tasting (or degustation) menu selection. Their second menu looks simply like a multi-course meal. In any case, I don't think you'd have trouble downing a real tasting menu, which is more like a selection of small tapas. Do you recall when Tabarka offered a tasting menu of different fish and tapas? It was great: a goodly number of small samples of lovingly cooked varieties.

39 minutes ago, BeanRoy said:

I am curious, too. Their first menu definitely appears to be a tasting (or degustation) menu selection. Their second menu looks simply like a multi-course meal. In any case, I don't think you'd have trouble downing a real tasting menu, which is more like a selection of small tapas. Do you recall when Tabarka offered a tasting menu of different fish and tapas? It was great: a goodly number of small samples of lovingly cooked varieties.

Tabarka still offers their tasting menus AFAIK.  The prices shown below are from Dec. 2019; will look at current menu to confirm/change next visit.  

6 piece tapas 120p; 12 piece for 210p.  A far cry from the 1000p being offered at Bistro 12. 

Tabarka remains in our top 5 for quality, price, service.  

Since no one on this thread has actually seen the dishes and can report on the experience, we're just guessing. I await a report from someone who's been there and seen that.

Meanwhile,  I think I can safely say that a really good glass of wine being included might ease the pain at the price.  Maybe two.😊

11 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Tabarka still offers their tasting menus AFAIK.  The prices shown below are from Dec. 2019; will look at current menu to confirm/change next visit.  

6 piece tapas 120p; 12 piece for 210p.  A far cry from the 1000p being offered at Bistro 12. 

Tabarka remains in our top 5 for quality, price, service.  

Oh, I did not know that. Haven't been really, since the owner handed over the reins. Thanks for the info.

7 minutes ago, gringal said:

Since no one on this thread has actually seen the dishes and can report on the experience, we're just guessing. I await a report from someone who's been there and seen that.

Of course. Simply wondering, based on what I know of this type of menu.

8 minutes ago, BeanRoy said:

Of course. Simply wondering, based on what I know of this type of menu.

Agreed, however their menu as they have described it seems underwhelming for 1K pesos.  At that price I expect a far more interesting, cutting edge menu.  

• Like 1

In the local restaurant scene, many are called but far fewer are chosen.  Remember restaurant "4"?  This is not a great market area for pricey restaurants IMO.

I wish them all the best.  No, I'm not planning on spending $100+ for two to eat out around here any time soon.  :D 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Hey gringohombre, where is this place and what are their hours?  Like to take my brother there for a real Mexican experience.

From that picture I'd say it would be a BIG mistake to mess with those two ladies!  :D 

It is on Ramon Corona  corner of Jesus Garcia  1 block east of the church. 

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Agreed, however their menu as they have described it seems underwhelming for 1K pesos.  At that price I expect a far more interesting, cutting edge menu.  

No argument here. I note that there are several highly-priced restaurants here, and there are a large number of retired expats with a lot of money, who don't really care how much a meal costs, except in a reverse manner: the pricier it is, the better it must be. They always manage to keep places like 4 alive, for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2021 at 5:37 PM, gringohombre said:

Granma's house.jpg

Granma's kitchen.jpg

This place looks interesting.  We will definitely give it a try.  Wonder what dishes they serve, looks almost like home cooking which would be great.