Chapala.com Webboard

First Time Driving Across the Border

Me and the Mrs. are driving to and from Texas and beyond next week. Our first time crossing the border by car. We both have "temporal residente tarjetas" and driving a Jalisco plated car. 

Is there anything we need to be aware of especially on the re entry to Mexico? I know there are extra steps when flying but since we are driving and have the temporal cards do we need to stop at INM at all. I know the car should be good to go too right?

Thanks!

Technically you are supposed to stop & check out. In practice nobody does unless they intend to fly back in which case you will need the return portion of the form.

Going out just cross the bridge. About 20 miles in will be another checkpoint where they will ask of you are citizens.

Returning you will encounter the aduana red/green light revision area. About 25 km from the border is the migracion checkpoint. There they might ask to see your passport & resident card but with Mexico plates they will most likely wave you past.

• Like 1

Of low probability is this.... IF you are taking any alcohol into Texas you will want to declare this to US Customs AND pay the Texas tax per bottle at a 'hut' just past the customs checkpoint...  sometimes they put a colored tag underneath your windshield wiper to signal that you should be stopping. Stopping is on the honor system otherwise.

Also, check your Jalisco auto insurance: usually the coverage is collision only, only up to $100K USD. That does not meet the minimum TX limits. You can go to segurogringo.com and up your collision coverage to meet the minimum; very inexpensive and you do it all online. (Of course, you may have a TX agent who will cover your vehicle for the period you are there.)

11 minutes ago, jrod said:

Also, check your Jalisco auto insurance: usually the coverage is collision only, only up to $100K USD. That does not meet the minimum TX limits. You can go to segurogringo.com and up your collision coverage to meet the minimum; very inexpensive and you do it all online. (Of course, you may have a TX agent who will cover your vehicle for the period you are there.)

Read the policy.

First you are NOT covered for collision in the USA. Only liability. Seguro Gringo does not sell collision insurance. Only liability.

My USA coverage states that Qualitas meets the minimum requirement liability for every state in the US

Based on your statement someone traveling the USA would need to check each states liability laws. North Dakota liability minimum insurance would not meet the minimum in many states. It doesn't work that way. You don't need to change your policy while traveling to different states.

17 minutes ago, jrod said:

Also, check your Jalisco auto insurance: usually the coverage is collision only, only up to $100K USD. That does not meet the minimum TX limits.

Texas Minimum Auto Insurance Requirements The minimum coverage in Texas is 30/60/25, which means: $30,000 per injured person, $60,000 per accident, and $25,000 to cover third-party property damage.

https://attorneybrianwhite.com/blog/minimum-amount-of-auto-insurance-coverage-required-in-texas/#:~:text=Texas%20Minimum%20Auto%20Insurance%20Requirements%20The%20minimum%20coverage,you%20purchase%20insurance%20which%20can%20cover%20more%20damage.

2 hours ago, jrod said:

Thanks everyone. I had the insurance part covered in the thread linked above. I just thought I should start a new thread for a specifically different subject.