Chapala.com Webboard

Riberas Del Pilar is booming

5 minutes ago, Whipstock said:

WHOA! Why towards Ajijic?  The politicians are to the East, in Chapala. 

😅😅 

Cheers!

Because Ajijic wants to be a " Pueblo Magico " and we want to help. Its missing that magic "atmosphere"

• Haha 2

It seems most of the good construction guys are working full time around here and it is very difficult to get guys for single jobs.  Guess I'll have to wait for the next slowdown.  I just wonder how long it will take to hit the "water wall" thanks to all this new construction and the total reliance of the area on declining well sources.

We have had to dig second well in Haciendas to address the increase in water demand.  We have excellent quality water in Haciendas, so important, so many fraccs have horrible water. Rivera's about the very worst. Tons of sand, water brown unless you have a double water filtration system.  Our friends are very sorry they ever bought there. Water actually stinks coming out of the tap. Yuck.

39 minutes ago, Guiness said:

We have had to dig second well in Haciendas to address the increase in water demand.  We have excellent quality water in Haciendas, so important, so many fraccs have horrible water. Rivera's about the very worst. Tons of sand, water brown unless you have a double water filtration system.  Our friends are very sorry they ever bought there. Water actually stinks coming out of the tap. Yuck.

I'm assuming you're referring to Riberas.

Unfortunately when it comes to getting the short end from the Chapala government, Riberas is an unchallenged #1 in the area.  Absolutely no street maintenance, very poor water, no plans to provide badly needed sewers.  It is why homes are very affordable there.

It's Riberas del Pilar. I live in lower Riberas del Pilar. Yes, the well water can be sandy and with sulphur at certain times of the year. Same as it was in northern Ontario at certain times of the year. Not really such a big deal that a filter won't cure. I'm starting to think that all those who complain are city folks who think water comes from a tap totally sanitized... or not if you lived in Flint, Michigan or Walkerton, Ontario. Do not be fooled by "clear" water. It can be contaminated with cryptosporidium like a place close to Owen Sound in Northern Ontario (Walkerton).

Maybe I am wrong but I though at one time Riberas was it's own Fracc then dissent among homeowners who could not collect sufficient dues to keep the well repairs and other cost, so Chapala City took it over, was this  for better or worst?? Most of the lots there were owned by 2/3 families from Guadalajara. Regardless most of the land there does have a high water table, which is why a central sewer system would greatly improve the location

Similar situation in Mirosol,  decenion among homeowners, can't  collect homeowners dues and Chapala steps in. Sadly the general road maintenance suffers and place now looking scruffy 

That is correct.  Riberas is a failed fracc.  I think it has been at least since we arrived 13 years ago.

Also correct about Mirasol.  Too bad, it used to be very well kept.  That happened just a few years ago.

Several years ago there was legislation that supposedly made it easier to collect fracc dues.  It certainly worked for the condo we have for our students in GDL.  With everyone paying up, the property is getting far better maintenance.

35 minutes ago, Ferret said:

It's Riberas del Pilar. I live in lower Riberas del Pilar. Yes, the well water can be sandy and with sulphur at certain times of the year. Same as it was in northern Ontario at certain times of the year. Not really such a big deal that a filter won't cure. I'm starting to think that all those who complain are city folks who think water comes from a tap totally sanitized... or not if you lived in Flint, Michigan or Walkerton, Ontario. Do not be fooled by "clear" water. It can be contaminated with cryptosporidium like a place close to Owen Sound in Northern Ontario (Walkerton).

Rivera's is a mess. Last year my sister rented an apartment for a couple months and when raw sewage backed up into the bathroom that was it for her. The streets in the rainy season are also seeping with raw sewage, the place is disgusting. The water in Haciendas is one of the very best. Clean, clear and it is tested regularly. It is drinkable from the tap, however many of us choose a purication system just to be extra safe. 

You had better specify WHERE in Riberas that apartment is located because it certainly isn't like that on MY street OR the surrounding streets. I live on San Mateo between San Lucas and Avenida de la Ribera. 

5 hours ago, Guiness said:

Rivera's is a mess. Last year my sister rented an apartment for a couple months and when raw sewage backed up into the bathroom that was it for her. The streets in the rainy season are also seeping with raw sewage, the place is disgusting. The water in Haciendas is one of the very best. Clean, clear and it is tested regularly. It is drinkable from the tap, however many of us choose a purication system just to be extra safe. 

Places in Haciendas are a mess too with major ground movements breaking up house foundations. We looked at a rental there and the floor must have had about 10" of elevation change across the room . Not all parts of Riberas get their water from the city, some have private wells up to 200ft down where the water is clean.   

There will likely never be much improvements to infrastructure in most of lakeside.  Like most things in Mexico, it is all "designed" to function at minimum standards and will be repaired the same way when it fails.  There are no building standards, no home inspections, no licensed plumbers or electricians, no enforceable codes, no concrete or brick standards, no civil engineers, and almost no wastewater treatment facilities.  The government knows that there is massive corruption at all levels and so even if property taxes were to triple (in our case that would move ours from six dollars per month to 18 dollars per month) that increased money would just get siphoned off by local folks in charge at every level and services would not improve. 

There is actually not raw sewage in the streets of Riberas but there is a lot of gray water which if left standing can get funky.  The roads are not great but they are not better anyplace else except in some downtown streets in Chapala.  Our water comes from the same well that serves much of San Antonio and Mirasol and it does come in unfiltered but our coto pre-filters it and the individual homes have filters and we all drink it without problems.  On the plus side, the local water doesn't have chloramine or chlorine dioxide in it.  Google those things sometime.  Many cities in the US provide drinking water that is treated wastewater.  Nothing wrong with that but I'm not sure I'd like that option here locally...

I always say that Mexico is not for everybody and one needs to adjust expectations to keep from going crazy.

Alan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2