Chapala.com Webboard

Someone Has Found a Residente Permanente Card

Recently the rule (law) has changed and officers are stopping people to see if they have their original Visa and passport on them.  You can get a notarized or certified copy of your documents to carry.  I refuse to carry originals.  I did see something in Mexico Daily News I believe, after a search for documents someone being deported when their visa was not valid.

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

A lesson not to take the original out of a safe place at home unless you are leaving the country. 

It is sometimes needed locally.  Drivers license office.  And most recently for Covid vaccinations, I believe.  

Just now, BeanRoy said:

Transitos cannot ask for immigration paperwork.

Nor can local police. If they ask say "Lo siento".   

A notarized copy might you feel good but it will not legally serve in the place of an original if requested by those who actually have the right to see it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Nor can local police. If they ask say "Lo siento".   

A notarized copy might you feel good but it will not legally serve in the place of an original if requested by those who actually have the right to see it. 

In fact, only federales and immigration officials can ask, as far as I know.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BeanRoy said:

In fact, only federales and immigration officials can ask, as far as I know.

There is no more Federal Police since Dec. 31, 2020. Now only the National Guard which replaced them. Many State and Federal institutes can ask to see them if you are processing an application or renewing. Example renewing a State drivers license, etc. When buying property the SRE requires all foreigners to apply for a permit to purchase property in Mexico and needs a color copy and the original when handing in the form.

Immigration law states all legal residents need to carry the original and show it when required by any INM offical. Copies will not be accepted. You sign this agreement when recieving your resident card at the IMN office. If you don't when asked to produce it you could be detained and need to have someone bring your INM card to the INM detention center.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

There is no more Federal Police since Dec. 31, 2020. Now only the National Guard which replaced them. Many State and Federal institutes can ask to see them if you are processing an application or renewing. Example renewing a State drivers license, etc. When buying property the SRE requires all foreigners to apply for a permit to purchase property in Mexican and needs a color copy and the original when handing in the form.

Beanroy is correct  Only federal police, now known as Guardia National, or Immigration personal and possibly state police,  can legally ask to see them to verify your legal status in Mexico (same with FMM) In any case no local police or transitos have the right to see it. 

All others that request it is because you are asking for something, and it is a requirement for that service. But in that case you are voluntarily showing it for something you want to receive. 

The bottom line is that you do not need to carry your original laminated documented around with you in your everyday life...driving or walking for errands, restaurants, visiting friends, etc. You need it for specific circumstances that have been outlined here but otherwise keep it in a safe place at home. I keep mine inside my passport in a very secure, secret location.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, AlanMexicali said:

Immigration law states all legal residents need to carry the original and show it when required by any INM offical. Copies will not be accepted. You sign this agreement when recieving your resident card at the IMN office. If you don't when asked to produce it you could be detained and need to have someone bring your INM card to the INM detention center.

But one should note. You will not find any immigration officials wandering the streets asking to see your Resident Card or FMM which has similar statements. You will only find them at IMN offices, airports, and border checkpoints. 

Is it possible that a local policeman or transito would detain you and call an IMN official to the scene?  Theoretically but it's doubtful they would even know where to call, and they certainly would not wait around for hours if they could contact an IMN official who would be willing to get to the location needed, 

So as gringohombre and others have suggested. Leave the card in a safe place like you do with your passport. And if asked by local police or transitos politely say 'lo siento solo oficiales de inmigración"  

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

But one should note. You will not find any immigration officials wandering the streets asking to see your Resident Card or FMM which has similar statements. You will only find them at IMN offices, airports, and border checkpoints. 

That may be true Lakeside, but is otherwise false. One should note.

Immigration has swept through Sayulita several times. Last year they were set up at the back entrance to Sayulita and a friend of mine who'd been living here for years with no residency (not a bright thing to do but she's a die-hard anti-govt. rebel) got nabbed and deported. Sometimes they hit the restaurants, looking for foreigners working without work permits. I know someone who got deported like that, too. He wasn't a gringo,either, he was Argentinian.

5 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Posted on FB page of Lake Chapala Crime Watch. 

Card belongs to Albert Russell Wilson.  

Posting here to get the word out. 

Asking for a friend; have you checked what it's going for on the DarkWeb?

Seriously; thanks again for posting this. I am sure Albert appreciates it.

1 hour ago, Whipstock said:

Just curious, but did they ask for id, and if so, anyone other than the driver?

I've always been waved through.

There are almost always federal police (now Guardia Nacional) at points on federal highways. Many times at the toll booths. Unless you exhibit very suspicious behaviour they might ask a question like where are you going or where are you coming from. Then they wave you through.  If stopped for speeding they will ask for your driver's license. Never have I been asked for anything else in 50+ years driving in Mexico. Up until a few years ago there used to be 2 or 3 military checkpoints on the way to Laredo. Now there seems to be 2 that are unmanned half the time. There even use to be one on the other side of the lake at Tuxcueca just before the turn to Mazamitla.  I was asked once if I had any drugs in the car.  They never asked for ID of any kind.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BeanRoy said:

Really, how often have any one of us actually lost our immigration card?

Most people don't, but obviously some do. My neighbor did- he had his wallet in his pocket and it must have fallen out when he was on his motorbike just taking a quick trip to the OXO.

And I almost did, as my wallet was stolen. I was just extremely lucky that a woman called me who had seen my cards strewn all over the edge of the Walmart parking lot. Actually her young son spotted the wallet. She said she first told him to leave it, then saw my driver's license, PR card, etc, strewn around and knew it would be a drag for me to lose all those. The thieves took my bank cards and the little cash I had in there and then tossed the wallet and the rest of the cards.

9 hours ago, mudgirl said:

That may be true Lakeside, but is otherwise false. One should note.

Immigration has swept through Sayulita several times. Last year they were set up at the back entrance to Sayulita and a friend of mine who'd been living here for years with no residency (not a bright thing to do but she's a die-hard anti-govt. rebel) got nabbed and deported. Sometimes they hit the restaurants, looking for foreigners working without work permits. I know someone who got deported like that, too. He wasn't a gringo,either, he was Argentinian.

I watched immigration working in the islands off Cancun.  Funny when they come to the island all the folks call each other and hide inside. They left us alone but we looked like tourists.

7 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Most people don't, but obviously some do. My neighbor did- he had his wallet in his pocket and it must have fallen out when he was on his motorbike just taking a quick trip to the OXO.

And I almost did, as my wallet was stolen. I was just extremely lucky that a woman called me who had seen my cards strewn all over the edge of the Walmart parking lot. Actually her young son spotted the wallet. She said she first told him to leave it, then saw my driver's license, PR card, etc, strewn around and knew it would be a drag for me to lose all those. The thieves took my bank cards and the little cash I had in there and then tossed the wallet and the rest of the cards.

Sure. People lose things all the time: car keys. Prescription notes. Receipts. Sunglasses.

It's easier to replace your INM card than it is to replace your credit card: we have a local INM office for that, but my credit cards come from NOB and can take forever to get here (yes, immediately get on your computer and report the loss). I don't acrry them with me unless I know I am going to make a purchase. But I always have my Permanente.

1 hour ago, InChapala1 said:

see article in Guad Reporter. Spencer McMullen recommends carrying INM card, due to "recent policy changes."

https://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/guadalajara/56751-foreigners-advised-to-carry-immigration-docs

I would venture to say based on the story and the picture that they are not looking for illegal North Americans. They are looking for illegal Central Americans who up to now have been basically ignored in this area. Normally old gringo looking folks have been waved by in tha past.  

On 5/20/2021 at 6:10 PM, Yo1 said:

Recently the rule (law) has changed and officers are stopping people to see if they have their original Visa and passport on them.  You can get a notarized or certified copy of your documents to carry.  I refuse to carry originals.  I did see something in Mexico Daily News I believe, after a search for documents someone being deported when their visa was not valid.

A local lawyer told me that was a scam started by a local lawyer to get more business.