Chapala.com Webboard

Car towing by the police

You don't need to get names. You don't need to try to intimidate them by taking photos. If there is anything that will aggravate any policeman anywhere in the world it is taking photos and checking their badge for their name. 

Smile! Be polite!  Say you are sorry!  Ask for the ticket and say you will pay the fine. They will either give you the ticket or let you go.  This works not only here but in many other countries as well. 

Never never pay a bribe. Smile and ask for the ticket. 

I have been stopped in a few different countries ( I tend to speed)  I haven't had a ticket since I was a teenager. I was even stopped in the famous speed trap near SLP about 5 years ago. I was doing about 110km in the 60km zone.  Results .. no ticket  travel safe have a good day, and a handshake. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I think this is bad advice and could cause some serious unpleasantness from a corrupt cop who otherwise might let you go.  It could get the crap beat out of you IMO.

They woud not dare if you had a picture of them that you sent to a 3rd party right away..

1 hour ago, cedros said:

They woud not dare if you had a picture of them that you sent to a 3rd party right away..

HAHAHAHA   Would not dare??? 

If you want to aggravate a cop take his picture when he says hello. Why would any logical person wish to pi** off a cop?   It just isn't logical, and it certainly won't end in a pleasant encounter.  

So now you have his picture. He asks for a bribe. Or punches you in the face. His word against yours. Who do you think will win???

Or are you going to record a video of the stop????  That will really make him happy..... 

Now you get a ticket for an illegal turn, broken stoplight, not wearing a seatbelt, and using a cell phone while driving. But you got his picture. 

• Thanks 1

The problem is that this is not a fair world. People wear their personalities on their skin, their faces. When dealing with law enforcement, customs, etc. these people make judgements, unspoken impressions, or maybe memories of someone they liked or hated. Some people just have a certain smile, or expression which lets them get away with a seemingly honest apology. Some people have that smile, but they turn out to be mass murderers like Ted Bundy.

Eventually, facial recognition, AI, and non ivasive lie detection equipment will be in place. That might a long time. In the meantime there are those among us who slip up the river, like a spawning salmon with no problems. Others get constantly hassled by bears and eagles and are lucky if they arrive at all.

Very difficult field. In the early 1990's Canada accepted new immgrants based on their paperwork and a personal interview. The immigration officer's criteria seemed to be " would I want this person as a neighbor? "Well Canada admitted some very wonderful people but many of them were easily employed. Taking a job, not creating. At the same many of the mover and shaker businesspeople had the personality of snakes. What they needed to survive the Asian and International markets. Many street tough, used to getting thier way. This often was at odds with the meek civil servants of the Immigration Dept. They changed to a ranking, or points system in 1996, but it is still evolving.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

You don't need to get names. You don't need to try to intimidate them by taking photos. If there is anything that will aggravate any policeman anywhere in the world it is taking photos and checking their badge for their name. 

Smile! Be polite!  Say you are sorry!  Ask for the ticket and say you will pay the fine. They will either give you the ticket or let you go.  This works not only here but in many other countries as well. 

Never never pay a bribe. Smile and ask for the ticket. 

I have been stopped in a few different countries ( I tend to speed)  I haven't had a ticket since I was a teenager. I was even stopped in the famous speed trap near SLP about 5 years ago. I was doing about 110km in the 60km zone.  Results .. no ticket  travel safe have a good day, and a handshake. 

At some point you have to stand up for what is right.

• Haha 2

Cedros, have you ever escape a tiket by taking the picture of the cop?  I have been stopped many times, sometimes I get the tike , sometimes I pay and most of the time we just joke about it and they let me go but escaping by taking a picture is a dumb idea.. You live in a country where the cops got 43 students and turned them to the cartels and you thinjk they would ot dare giving you a tiket, you must be joking.. Granted the transitos are not the state or federal cops but still , taking their picture is one of the worse thing you can do. Just refuse to pay and they will give you a tiket or give up or take you plates if you are in Chiapas....Good luck to you

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

HAHAHAHA   Would not dare??? 

If you want to aggravate a cop take his picture when he says hello. Why would any logical person wish to pi** off a cop?   It just isn't logical, and it certainly won't end in a pleasant encounter.  

So now you have his picture. He asks for a bribe. Or punches you in the face. His word against yours. Who do you think will win???

Or are you going to record a video of the stop????  That will really make him happy..... 

Now you get a ticket for an illegal turn, broken stoplight, not wearing a seatbelt, and using a cell phone while driving. But you got his picture. 

If you are in the right you should stand up to them

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, bmh said:

Cedros, have you ever escape a tiket by taking the picture of the cop?  I have been stopped many times, sometimes I get the tike , sometimes I pay and most of the time we just joke about it and they let me go but escaping by taking a picture is a dumb idea.. You live in a country where the cops got 43 students and turned them to the cartels and you thinjk they would ot dare giving you a tiket, you must be joking.. Granted the transitos are not the state or federal cops but still , taking their picture is one of the worse thing you can do. Just refuse to pay and they will give you a tiket or give up or take you plates if you are in Chiapas....Good luck to you

I don't pay bribes-I will take the ticket. Do you ever stand up for what is right?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, cedros said:

If you are in the right you should stand up to them

I  have never had to "stand up to them"   

I have never taken a picture of a cop. I have never paid a bribe, I have never received a ticket in 50+ years of driving in Mexico. I have been stopped many times (I tend to speed) Sometimes they have been wrong. Mostly I have been in the wrong.

I smile. I say I'm sorry if I did something wrong. I say I understand they are doing their job. Please give me the ticket and I will pay for my error. 

Sometimes, most times, a bit of humor breaks the mood. i dont know the exact Spanish for this, but this a good example. A policeperson stops you, says you were speeding., "No, no officer that cannot be correct. I was not speeding, but only flying too low. Could you give me a ticket for that?" I will bet that works. No one should be speeding right now with the clay dips in the highways. It is a morgue out there. The Liberamento and Carretara are cleaned up, so everybody drives  40 km faster.