Chapala.com Webboard

Border Restrictions Extended, Per Mexican Government

The US has not yet confirmed this.  But Mex government says it is extended thru June 21st.  This restriction applies to land border crossings. 

https://kvia.com/news/border/2021/05/18/mexico-says-border-travel-restrictions-with-u-s-due-to-covid-now-extended-through-june-21/

WASHINGTON, DC — Travel restrictions across the U.S.-Mexico border have now been extended through at least June 21, according to Mexico's foreign minister who said the decision was made by the U.S. government.

The extension came as Mexican officials continued to express "hope" that those curbs could be removed over the summer. There was no immediate word from U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

The border crossing limitations for non-essential travel, which have been in place throughout the pandemic to help slow the spread of Covid-19, have now been extended for yet another month.

The closure was set to expire on May 21. However, the Mexican government tweeted Tuesday that it had been extended for another month.

https://twitter.com/SRE_mx/status/1394684324914606082?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1394684324914606082|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fpublish.twitter.com%2F%3Fquery%3Dhttps3A2F2Ftwitter.com2FSRE_mx2Fstatus2F1394684324914606082widget%3DTweet

I think they have forgotten to tell the border about the restrictions, because I personally know several Canadians who have driven across the Mex-US border on their way back to Canada in the last few weeks. I crossed into Texas (Laredo) and back in to Mexico last week with no issues.  And while waiting to cross saw several Mexican plated cars crossing into Laredo..

Thousands of Mexican plated cars pass the land frontier daily.  There are no restriction on cars. The restriction is on non-permanent residents or those without work permits.

In the Laredo crossing there are many who live on the Nuevo Laredo side of the border and are Permanent residents with jobs and business in Laredo or with work permits for the USA. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Thousands of Mexican plated cars pass the land frontier daily.  There are no restriction on cars. The restriction is on non-permanent residents or those without work permits.

In the Laredo crossing there are many who live on the Nuevo Laredo side of the border and are Permanent residents with jobs and business in Laredo or with work permits for the USA. 

As usual another irrelevant post by you....

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

As usual another irrelevant post by you....

I've also heard from regular border crossers that by car things are pretty porous as you suggest.  However Mostly Lost's post was correct and not irrelevant to this thread.  And your comment was churlish and unnecessary.  Knock it off.

Written into the land crossing regulations is a clause negotiated by the US for Alaska residents drive through Canada to return home..... with no quarantine requirements.

"Alaskans may travel through Canada to return to their home in Alaska. You should be ready to make a convincing case so bring supporting documentation such as your passport, Alaska driver’s license, utility bills etc. You will be asked to limit stops along the way. Note that you will have 24 hours to get through the Yukon territory."

Possibly the Canadian government did not consider the number of Canadians in Mexico that might want to return to Canada and have a similar clause included. For that reason it is possible southern border agents are considering Canadians returning home to be essential travel. 

Make no mistake that the regulations are being enforced. A few months back it was reported in the Laredo news that a US immigration border agent was arrested & charged for letting a non resident Mexican enter Laredo to help with her sick mother at her house,

And is is very possible that a border agent will refuse entry for vaccination tourism as it is now being called. Thousands of Mexicans are flying into the USA for vax but they are not driving in. 

I understand the logic of flying in because you must have the test confirming you don't have Covid before getting on a flight. That's a level of protection in which those driving (or walking across the CBX) are not participating.  I kinda feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as do many others who remain unvaccinated. I have the means to fly to McAllen but for others it's not economically possible. SNAFU.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

I understand the logic of flying in because you must have the test confirming you don't have Covid before getting on a flight. That's a level of protection in which those driving (or walking across the CBX) are not participating.  I kinda feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place as do many others who remain unvaccinated. I have the means to fly to McAllen but for others it's not economically possible. SNAFU.

I agree with you 100% Just examples of illogical government rules. 

Enter by land to USA  no need for proof of no covid. Fly in proof needed. Non residents not allowed by land.  No problem if you have the money to fly. 

Meantime the economies of border cities like El Paso, Laredo, etc are losing millions of dollars of sales. The mayor of Laredo says hundreds of millions during the months of border closure. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

Flights to Houston on United were $222 return in June just three days ago and when I checked today, $1175 return.  Ugggghhh!!!  Hope flying to McAllen is more reasonable.  

Volaris to Houston is almost always less money. With most airlines usually you will get the best ticket prices if you buy 3 weeks in advance, Also prices will depend on day and hour of travel, non stop or 2 leg. 

If you are traveling for covid shots check LAX, San Antonio, and DFW, in addition to Houston.  All have easy access from the airport to a vax site. YOu can bet McAllen will cost more and have far fewer options, Also the day you check can mean a different price, Rumor is Volaris has better prices Tuesday.

Round trip on Volaris right now  June 2nd in the morning  return june 3rd morning flight both non stop $582 including 1 carry on

Round trip LAX Jun 2nd early morning departure 6pm afternoon return flight same day $346 with no carry on. both non stop