Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone using Totalplay?

Anyone subscribing to Totalplay TV for internet and/or TV channels,  are you satisfied with their service, their management?

Anyone who considered it, but decided not to use it?

I'm having a rocky start with these people.

Lexy

I am very happy with the internet service.  Works much better than my ILOX internet.   I have both so I know.  ILOX drops out more so much that I can't use streaming internet audio service.  As artsnob said the Totalplay TV service is all spanish.  I use an Android TV box for my TV watching so I did not buy TV.  Phone works so much better than ILOX phone which never worked and they would not fix it.  

You should be able to change the language of some channels to the original language of the movie/program by pressing the ok button while being on the channel and then choose from one of the menu options. That is what totalplay explains at least and i also remember to be with several people who had Totalplay and had the channels in english.

A friend of me has totalplay and he can choose the language without problems, he wouldn't choose totalplay if he couldn't do that. The same goes for a cousin of us, she also can choose the language. I specifically asked her one time about that as I was thinking about getting totalplay one time. And basically every remote has that button (the one in the center of the left right up down buttons), otherwise get an universal remote control to solve the problem.

OK, now I know which button you are talking about. So somewhere on some remotes is a language-selection button, is what you are saying. Good to know. I would still like to hear directly from anyone who has done this so I can get a better idea of the procedure. You can't just punch the OK button. Not trying to harass you here, just trying to suss it out.

If you push that ok/center button a menu should popup. Totalplay mentions on their facebook and twitter pressing that center/ok button twice to open up the language/subtitle settings, while some other people mention other ways. But as I don't have access to a totalplay tv at the moment, I'm unaware of the exact procedure. Might also depend on each tvsetup. Just try it out by pressing buttons, it should be possible to change the language basically on any tvprovider, (i never encountered one provider where it wasn't possible at all, telecable, izzi, axtel, megacable, sky etc. it all worked), it almost always depends on the tv channel if it is possible or not.

• 6 months later...

We started with MegaCable in San Miguel de Allende. The internet service was terrible and the television had minimal US channels or English-speaking channels. Extremely poor customer service for anyone with limited Spanish skills. We dropped them after 1 month because of the bad internet and went to TotalPlay in July.
TotalPlay had several US channels (NBC, CBS, ABC out of New York, Miami, and Chicago. Also PBS out of Miami. Bought premium package with 500 megas for internet. Decent internet reception, and enjoyed having the US channels. Suddenly all US channels disappeared near the end of October after 3 months of service without warning or explanation and internet weak without adding extenders. Customer service with an English-speaking person is non-existent.

Bought extenders and a couple of Amazon FireSticks and will drop the television part of TotalPlay. Waste of money and time.

• 1 year later...

Bought Totalplay on April 24 when it was installed. I paid $870 pesos for installation and the first month, this without Netflix yet.  But without a remote control, it was useless.  I was promised a remote within 10 days.  I finally got one on day 22, but it didn't work.  They brought me another one which sort of seems to work sometimes, but I suspect that it is Totalplay that is the culprit.  It is the most fickle and infuriating attempt at a human/tech interface that I have ever encountered.  It is almost impossible to imagine that they did any human/product interface testing prior to launch.  Maybe they did the testing at a clown convention...???    I am paid up for another few days, so I'll continue trying to blame myself for all the problems until day 30.  

We've had it 2 1/2 ---- phone,   internet, and basic TV for Mexican news.   (Firestick for all other TV )    Service has been FANTASTIC when needed (not often), guys  are polite and capable, and phone calls OR on-line chats are always satisfactory.  Change from one house to another last year was totally seamless.  And this board well knows I am the ultimate non-tech person here, so THEY must be doing something right!!

• Like 2

I have also had TotalPlay for two years without problems. I dumped both Telmex and iLox. I have Whatsapp on my cell phone and also on my laptop and use it for blissfully smooth and static free telephone connections to Canada without any charge. Yes, I know that Telmex has free calls but the connection was always so bad that it was painful. All my kids have Whatsapp to call me free as well. The thing that I like about using Whatsapp on the laptop is that it's not only handsfree but I can easily adjust the volume as well. TotalPlay just gave me another free upgrade in speed to 300 mbps. I am a well satisfied customer.

When it comes to Telmex, I think it all depends on the quality of the copper line and connections between your home and the Telmex office. I am up at the top of the hill and a few blocks to the West of Telmex in Ajijic. And I have excellent service, with speeds varying from around 25 MB/Sec during the day when everyone else is on line and up to 45 MB/Sec during quiet periods. I am very satisfied with their service.