Chapala.com Webboard

Jalisco plated car USA Insurance

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if a local agency is capable of selling me the right amount of car insurance for driving through Texas all the way to Illinois?

The company I am using for Mexican insurance on the vehicle will sell me a USA policy but told me it isn't enough and there is no way they can up the coverage.

They told me that there are agents on both sides of the border but I would like to get the coverage before we leave.

Any help in this matter will be appreciated, Thanks

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Read your policy. Many have USA liability included.

Two agents, my own and Francisco mentioned above confirmed that my policy does not include USA insurance.

Francisco started out well then disappeared. I am sure he is a fine agent but after waiting several hours and his phone not taking calls I went with segurogringo.com mentioned by Out1 and purchased a policy. Go to go now. Thanks all for your input. I have many things to do to get ready so now I don't have this hanging over my head.

On 5/18/2021 at 8:18 AM, Out1 said:

Through segurogringo.com I was able to purchase $300,000 excess liability coverage from National Unity Insurance company.

Does Segurogringo have an office somewhere ? Do they speak english ? 

4 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Does Segurogringo have an office somewhere ? Do they speak english ? 

It is on-line only. They are agents for a Texas Insurance company, National Unity Insurance Company  The website is available in English & Spanish, French & Chinese. Just click on the flag at the top., 

https://www.segurogringo.com/

On 5/19/2021 at 12:51 PM, ea93105 said:

My agent who sold me Qualitas said the US liability is only valid for a month or so ( if I rememeber correctly ) Is that pretty standard ?

Read your policy. There is a link to go to print out the USA coverage in English. If stopped in the USA that is your proof of coverage. ( good agents should do this for you)

http://activaciones.qualitasinsurance.com/

On 5/19/2021 at 1:51 PM, ea93105 said:

M.y agent who sold me Qualitas said the US liability is only valid for a month or so ( if I rememeber correctly ) Is that pretty standard ?

The agent may have meant that the coverage was short term since you would usually only be NOB for a short time. If you were going back for many months, you might need short term insurance from a US company, say for 6 months.

7 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Read your policy. There is a link to go to print out the USA coverage in English. If stopped in the USA that is your proof of coverage. ( good agents should do this for you)

25 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

The agent may have meant that the coverage was short term since you would usually only be NOB for a short time. If you were going back for many months, you might need short term insurance from a US company, say for 6 months.

With Qualitas my USA coverage expires the same day as my Mexican coverage. 

"The current Auto Liability Policy will be in force if the related Mexico Resident Auto Insurance Policy is in Force . Qualitas Insurance Company hereinafter the company and who is designated by the name "Insured" agree to enter into this contract of insurance subject to The General Conditions of this policy . This Policy covers only vehicles that are garaged and are registered in Mexico. This Policy guarantees to cover the minimum limits required by law, by each state of the United States of America."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/19/2021 at 12:51 PM, ea93105 said:

My agent who sold me Qualitas said the US liability is only valid for a month or so ( if I rememeber correctly ) Is that pretty standard ?

Your agent is inept. When your Qualitas policy expires your coverage in the USA and Mexico expires. Not before.

See my above post

Download & print your USA policy from here.  (A good agent would have asked if you might need it and done it for you)

http://activaciones.qualitasinsurance.com/