Chapala.com Webboard

Way to go Texas

vetteforron

Today Texas reported: * 0 Covid related deaths--the only time that's happened since data was tracked in March, 2020. * the fewest Covid cases in over 13 months * the lowest 7-day Covid positivity rate ever * the lowest Covid hospitalizations in 11 months. Thanks, Texans!
  • Like 1

I was in the US for the better part of the last 2 months. In Texas, the restaurants were packed even in March. The stores however were pretty much mask compliant. Access to the vaccine was hit and miss. By May the restaurants are still full but now perhaps 20% of everyone I saw in grocery stores were maskless. There were many instances of signs in front of CVS and Walgreens advertising vaccine availability. Just come on in. All 3 vaccines were totally available.

Indiana was quite different. We waited 30 minutes to get into a restaurant Sunday before last and when finally admitted found that perhaps 20% of the tables were occupied. Perhaps it was due to restrictions but another possibility was lack of staff to serve customers. Just about every CVS in Indianapolis had vaccine appointments available, even same day. Not so in March when my son and his entire family got Covid, unable to get the vaccine due to age restrictions.

On the way home, we stopped for gas and hotel in Arkansas. This is of course anecdotal but no one was wearing a mask in either location. This was the first time in a long time that the person behind the desk in a hotel was maskless.

2 hours ago, moderator-2 said:

Edited to remove political content.  Post will remain since Mexico is very affected by what goes on in Texas, with which it shares much of its border.

While this may be true in many respects, Covid and vaccinations probably are not among them. Case in point.... while El Paso is awash with excess vaccinations, Juarez across the river goes wanting. El Paso has vaccinated more than the entire state of Chihuahua.

https://amp.elpasotimes.com/amp/4873585001

3 hours ago, John Shrall said:

I was in the US for the better part of the last 2 months. In Texas, the restaurants were packed even in March. The stores however were pretty much mask compliant. Access to the vaccine was hit and miss. By May the restaurants are still full but now perhaps 20% of everyone I saw in grocery stores were maskless. There were many instances of signs in front of CVS and Walgreens advertising vaccine availability. Just come on in. All 3 vaccines were totally available.

Indiana was quite different. We waited 30 minutes to get into a restaurant Sunday before last and when finally admitted found that perhaps 20% of the tables were occupied. Perhaps it was due to restrictions but another possibility was lack of staff to serve customers. Just about every CVS in Indianapolis had vaccine appointments available, even same day. Not so in March when my son and his entire family got Covid, unable to get the vaccine due to age restrictions.

On the way home, we stopped for gas and hotel in Arkansas. This is of course anecdotal but no one was wearing a mask in either location. This was the first time in a long time that the person behind the desk in a hotel was maskless.

Things have changed rapidly since the CDC mask announcement. 

We've been in AZ for a week; when we arrived everyone was pretty much wearing masks inside, especially employees, at the same percentage we saw on previous trips here in March and April (90-95% IMO).  This includes what we saw shopping over the weekend at various stores.  

But last night when we stopped for a pizza, the employees were not wearing masks. This morning at Target they played a recording telling customers they are following CDC guidelines as far as customers wearing or not wearing masks.  We were at that same store this past Friday and at that time they had large Masks Required signs at the entry; those signs were gone today.  I saw a few employees with masks pulled down, but most were wearing them.  The recording didn't address Target's policy for employees so I'm not sure what it is.    

At least here in AZ it will now be up to stores to decide whether to require masks of their customers and employees. 

• Thanks 1