Chapala.com Webboard

The "Misssed First Dose" 60+ dilemma

Aiming this at people like Harry B, Hector, jrod, and a few others who seem to have better access than the rest of us, on behalf of those who for whatever reason did NOT get their first dose. Is there a way any of you have a pipeline to the "powers" to address this?

While I don't belong in this group, there are many right here in this community (not to mention other areas I'm sure) who would seriously welcome any help you can procure.  Gracias!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I feel certain that just as the last dose was advertised as being for those 60 years old at minimum, the next round will be advertised as being for those 50 years old at minimum.   They definitely want anyone older to get the shot and this is the sensible way to keep getting any older residents to come in for the shot. This way anyone who is above the age limit can join in.  The Federal Government makes all the decisions about the vaccine program so no one locally will be able to cause any changes to whatever they plan, but this situation of those who missed their first chance will be country wide so this is surely the way they will cover those people too.

For those who were not sufficiently ambulatory to follow the normal procedure for getting a shot, a "home visit" sign up site was originally set up.  What happened, in fact, was that as far as I know, neither I nor others who signed up for it as early as March were ever contacted.  So "this is the sensible way to keep getting any older residents to come in" that Gimpychimp suggested  does not apply.  We who are not able to "come in" for various reasons need the home visit that was originally set up, but which somehow evaporated. I wish someone who is in the know would explain the reason why.  Speculation is not useful.

At this point, all that any of the older people in that group who are needing and wanting a jab can do is wait for the powers that be to release the vaccine to private doctors. Why they didn't do so in the first place is a mystery, and just plain wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Aiming this at people like Harry B, Hector, jrod, and a few others who seem to have better access than the rest of us, on behalf of those who for whatever reason did NOT get their first dose. Is there a way any of you have a pipeline to the "powers" to address this?

While I don't belong in this group, there are many right here in this community (not to mention other areas I'm sure) who would seriously welcome any help you can procure.  Gracias!!

I messaged Isaac Trejo about this and did not hear back. Alfaro says it is under the umbrella of the Bienestar people, who will be contacting people at some point later in time to do home visits and he didn't get back to me either, nor did the head of IMSS (who did respond to me once, early on.) I'm sure someone, somewhere has the plan but throughout this Covid vaccination process, information and details have been keep close to the vest, rather than share publicly and update regularly as things change, which would have, in my opinion, reduced anxiety and the zillions of individual queries about when, where, who, how, etc. 

I'll continue to check sources and query people...maybe I'll again get lucky and will post here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Ir is a serious problem for many people who want but have not been able to get the first shot locally. They seem to be focusing on the 2nd shot so those with no vaccination yet are turned away. Are the first two vaccines for sinovac that different? 

Stop depending on anything to do with vaccine and the mexican government.   Give up and fly to TJ and walk across the bridge to USA.  Sign up for vaccine at drug store before you go.  Get your J&J shot and come home.  Yes I know this won't help the disabled but it will help many of us.  I have no faith I will ever be called nor should you.  AMLO has botched the whole thing and will continue to do so.  My wife got her shots in Mexico City and she reports nothing but praise. She got appointment and never spent more than two hours for whole process.  Not only that but they supplied entertainment. Our son lives in M.C. so it was legal for her to get shots in M.C.  AMLO and Alfaro don't get along and this has altered the process for us. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lcscats said:

Stop depending on anything to do with vaccine and the mexican government.   Give up and fly to TJ and walk across the bridge to USA.  Sign up for vaccine at drug store before you go.  Get your J&J shot and come home.  Yes I know this won't help the disabled but it will help many of us.  I have no faith I will ever be called nor should you.  AMLO has botched the whole thing and will continue to do so.  My wife got her shots in Mexico City and she reports nothing but praise. She got appointment and never spent more than two hours for whole process.  Not only that but they supplied entertainment. Our son lives in M.C. so it was legal for her to get shots in M.C.  AMLO and Alfaro don't get along and this has altered the process for us. 

It also doesn’t help those who can not afford to “just” fly to TJ and walk across the bridge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Xena said:

It also doesn’t help those who can not afford to “just” fly to TJ and walk across the bridge.

Why didn't you just go to one of the many municipalities comprising the greater Guadalajara area and get one? They were happy to give one to anyone over 60. Soon they will be happy to give one to anyone over 50. 

51 minutes ago, lcscats said:

That is not a solution for many. I wonder what people who have gotten the J & J or Moderna in the US will have to do if there are specific update boosters for those vaccines to protect against variants. It could get quite complicated. 

10 minutes ago, gimpychimp said:

Why didn't you just go to one of the many municipalities comprising the greater Guadalajara area and get one? They were happy to give one to anyone over 60. Soon they will be happy to give one to anyone over 50. 

Some people wanted Sinovac for some reason and that often was not an option in some of the greater Guadalajara municpalities. Also, so far, if it is your second vaccine they insist you return to that location for the next one-for years? 

Lots of mixing and matching going on and the consquences are unknown. They told us that the best vaccination you got was your first one. Some of these municipalities may not be able in the future to give a specific vaccination to just anyone.

7 minutes ago, gimpychimp said:

I went. They ran out AFTER fifty of us were seated in the tent. All paperwork was done and I even received the receipt detailing lot # of vaccine and the date given. Then a Doctor came in and told us they had none left. Bye, bye. Now I'm stuck in never never land. $hit happens.

3 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I went. They ran out AFTER fifty of us were seated in the tent. All paperwork was done and I even received the receipt detailing lot # of vaccine and the date given. Then a Doctor came in and told us they had none left. Bye, bye. Now I'm stuck in never never land. $hit happens.

Never never may be right.

2 hours ago, Xena said:

Americans here are mostly retired and didn't suffer a loss of income due to the pandemic.  In fact, Individuals got $3,200 and married couples got $6,400 in Covid relief payments.  Certainly won't cost that for a trip or even two to US for vax.

Again speaking to Americans especially to those who are able physically to fly.

And while we are not disabled, we are frequent flyers and see a lot of people in wheelchairs who get excellent treatment at airports. If you are able to go out to dinner or shopping here, you can likely manage a flight NOB if you tell the airline you require special assistance.

Lots of daily nonstops to LAX may be better choice than TIJ for some.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Americans here are mostly retired. Individuals got $3,200 and married couples got $6,400 in Covid relief payments.  Certainly won't cost that for a trip or even two to US for vax.

Again speaking to Americans who are able physically to fly.

And while we are not disabled, we are frequent flyers and see a lot of people in wheelchairs who get excellent treatment at airports. If you are able to go out to dinner or shopping here, you can likely manage a flight NOB.

But you should not have to fly to the US to get a vaccination.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I read in the Washington Post this morning that the U.S. CDC has reached an inoculation level where they are asking to just give the shots, whether they have enough people or not. They will open a vial just for one shot, leaving another 9 doses in the bottle to spoil. That indicates a surplus, and hopefully Mexico will benefit soon.

5 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

I read in the Washington Post this morning that the U.S. CDC has reached an inoculation level where they are asking to just give the shots, whether they have enough people or not. They will open a vial just for one shot, leaving another 9 doses in the bottle to spoil. That indicates a surplus, and hopefully Mexico will benefit soon.

Thank you for mentioning this. I found it to be a good read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/coronavirus-vaccine-waste-virginia-maryland/2021/05/15/008c4324-b366-11eb-ab43-bebddc5a0f65_story.html

That is a very good point Gringal. If things worked the way they should have, the sale and distribution should been turned over to the private sector, hospitals, doctors, clinics etc. That has been a brilliant success in the U.S.A. Then in Mexico, the poor and aged, should have become to the responsibility of the Red Cross type workers. This group is currently on point for a task they are not prepared or trained for.

So Mexico is now going to be receiving the world's vaccine hand me downs. But still waiting until private doctors are allowed to purchase vaccines, come to a handicapped persons home, give a jab for 1,000 pesos, check your blood pressure, blood sugar, and anything else of importance.

Find that in the U.S. or Canada.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, cedros said:

Ir is a serious problem for many people who want but have not been able to get the first shot locally. They seem to be focusing on the 2nd shot so those with no vaccination yet are turned away. Are the first two vaccines for sinovac that different? 

SAME vaccine.  But this way they can get the 2nd shot into those already having one and keep track of same.

16 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

So Mexico is now going to be receiving the world's vaccine hand me downs. But still waiting until private doctors are allowed to purchase vaccines, come to a handicapped persons home, give a jab for 1,000 pesos, check your blood pressure, blood sugar, and anything else of importance.

Find that in the U.S. or Canada.

Nursing homes, rehab centers, assisted living centers in US were one of first groups for vax.

Now they are doing individuals who are at-home, bringing the vax to them.  For free.  

Here are a few examples from all over the US. 

https://publichealthinsider.com/2021/04/19/public-healths-in-home-vaccination-launches-across-the-county/

https://6abc.com/springfield-delaware-county-vaccine-house-calls-pa-covid-vic-berg/10515606/

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/state-moving-away-from-mass-vaccination-sites/103-3a42ef48-5fdf-476b-87aa-2d9317a86c1a

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/04/09/in-home-covid-vaccinations-miami-dade-residents/

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Americans here are mostly retired and didn't suffer a loss of income due to the pandemic.  In fact, Individuals got $3,200 and married couples got $6,400 in Covid relief payments.  Certainly won't cost that for a trip or even two to US for vax.

Again speaking to Americans especially to those who are able physically to fly.

And while we are not disabled, we are frequent flyers and see a lot of people in wheelchairs who get excellent treatment at airports. If you are able to go out to dinner or shopping here, you can likely manage a flight NOB if you tell the airline you require special assistance.

I appreciate you directed this only to AMERICANS, but there are many other foreigners and Mexican nationals outside that group who have not had their first shot.

And who are you to judge who does or does not have the "means".... even in the American sector?....   and/or what they did with their relief payments?  There are many  Americans here who are having a very hard time making ends meet for varying reasons. Yes, I do know some. So just because you are in a fortunate financial %age don't be so quick to assume all are in that basket with you.                          

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

That is wonderful. But how far are we away from anything close to that in Mexico (or Latin America). Seriously, it is like they sent 100 U.S Peace Corp members (kids) to build a hydrodam in Rwanda.

I was wrong too. Not everyone has 1,000 pesos for a loved ones personalized vaccine and wellness check. Where I am from, a family doctor would only be consent to confirm a medical cadaver for a death certificate.