Chapala.com Webboard

Geek squad

bmh

Some scam seem to be going on. I received 2 different notices that my credit card will be charged for 499.89 dollars from Geek Squad for 2 different orders that are total fiction..

Anyone had been hit by these guys who obviously are not Geek squad? So far nothing deducted.. 

We have received similar emails in the past, albeit from a different company than you mentioned.  We contacted our credit card company and notified them to NOT allow any transactions from that company.  No transactions were attempted.  Then, we moved the offending email address to our SPAM folder so as not to inadvertently open an email from that company in the future.

9 hours ago, bmh said:

Some scam seem to be going on. I received 2 different notices that my credit card will be charged for 499.89 dollars from Geek Squad for 2 different orders that are total fiction..

Anyone had been hit by these guys who obviously are not Geek squad? So far nothing deducted.. 

You should forward it to...abuse@bestbuy.com then put it in your spam folder.

With millions of email account information having been hacked from places like facebook, yahoo, home depot, etc. You can be pretty sure your email address is in hackers hands.

Never open an email attachment.

Even an email sent from a friend with an attachment could be from their email being compromised. So if anything seems odd check with them first.

In the last year I have had 3 emails from people I have not heard from in years. All 3 had their email hacked.

3 hours ago, gringohombre said:

So, if we should "Never open an email attachment", does this mean we should all go back to Snail Mail???

You missed the part that said “... unless you check with them first.” You have to verify it is an email from the person it appears to be from. Yes, a PITA but that’s modern life.

On 5/15/2021 at 12:05 PM, gringohombre said:

So, if we should "Never open an email attachment", does this mean we should all go back to Snail Mail???

Absolutely not.

If the attachment is from a company you do business with go to their website and log in to your account the normal way.  As Xena posted...what I wrote.

I will add.. if from a contact you have, and it was unsolicited,  read it carefully and see why there is an attachment and when in doubt contact them first. 

The last one I received from a contact I had not heard from in years said "it is urgent that you read this" I called her and she said her email had been hacked and she had no way to notify all her contacts. Mine was not the first call. 

The vast majority of the ransom attacks on business and government agencies occuring lately are by someone opening an email or attachment that that has the trojan or virus attached.  There were millions of dollars in ransom paid just this week to get unlock codes to free computers. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 8:30 AM, Mostlylost said:

You should forward it to...abuse@bestbuy.com then put it in your spam folder.

With millions of email account information having been hacked from places like facebook, yahoo, home depot, etc. You can be pretty sure your email address is in hackers hands.

Never open an email attachment.

Even an email sent from a friend with an attachment could be from their email being compromised. So if anything seems odd check with them first.

In the last year I have had 3 emails from people I have not heard from in years. All 3 had their email hacked.

Email address don’t need to be  hacked, they are sold. There are many legitimate companies out there that purchase and resell email addresses to other companies for mass mailings. That is one of the ways companies like Facebook Yahoo and Google make money.. by selling your information 

When they get your email from hacking they get more than your address. That is how they are able to design an email that "hooks" the receiver with their phishing attempt. 

Details from more than 500 million Facebook accounts have been found available on a website for hackers.The availability of the data set was first reported by Business Insider. According to that publication, it has information from 106 countries including phone numbers, Facebook IDs, full names, locations, birthdates, and email addresses.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-hack-500-million-accounts/

The Internet service company Yahoo! was subject to the largest data breach on record.[1] Two major data breaches of user account data to hackers were revealed during the second half of 2016. The first announced breach, reported in September 2016, had occurred sometime in late 2014, and affected over 500 million Yahoo! user accounts.[2] A separate data breach, occurring earlier around August 2013, was reported in December 2016. Initially believed to have affected over 1 billion user accounts,[3] Yahoo! later affirmed in October 2017 that all 3 billion of its user accounts were impacted.[4] Both breaches are considered the largest discovered in the history of the Internet. Specific details of material taken include names, email addresses, telephone numbers, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers, dates of birth, and hashed passwords.[5] Further, Yahoo! reported that the late 2014 breach likely used manufactured web cookies to falsify login credentials, allowing hackers to gain access to any account without a password.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!_data_breaches

• Like 1