Chapala.com Webboard

Mussels

Ian Greenwood

7 minutes ago, HarryB said:

I was taught to not eat shell fish in months NOT containing an R

That advice was for the time before refrigeration. Despite what you may have heard, it's safe to eat raw oysters year-round, as long as you know where they were harvested.

https://health.howstuffworks.com/food-nutrition/raw-oysters-are-safe-to-eat-every-month-year.htm

• Like 2

Club Nautico serves them if you have a membership there or at least a restaurant membership.  Not bad, in fact good, in some kind of white wine sauce.

In Ireland, they serve up oysters and mussels year round and I never hear of anybody getting sick from them. Just about every good restaurant and pubs with food will have them.

On 5/21/2021 at 10:41 AM, sm1mex said:

How do you fix the fresh mussels?

Menu:   COZZE ALL PUGLIESE   {Mussels Apulian (Puglia, Italy)Style}   (Serves 4)

3 LB Mussels
4 tbs olive oil
2 garlic cloves peeled and crushed
7 tbs dry white wine
2 tbs tomato paste
4 tbs water
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbs butter
1/4 cup all-pupose flour
1 cup milk
2 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
3 tbs. breadcrumbs

Scrub the mussels  under cold running water, then soak in cold water for 30 minutes.  Drain and discard any that are open.
Put the mussels in a pan with half the oil. Cook over high heat for 5 minutes or until the mussels open, discarding any that do not.  Strain the cooking liquid and reserve.  Remove the mussels from their shells and remove their cute little pubic beards.
Heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the garlic and fry gently until golden brown.  Add the wine and cooking liquid.  Simmer for 5 minutes, then add the tomato purée (paste) diluted with the water.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small pan, add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the milk gradually and cook, stirring, over low heat until the sauce thickens.
Stir the mussels into the tomato mixture and spoon into a shallow ovenproof dish.  Pour over the sauce and sprinkle with the cheese and breadcrumbs.  Bake in a preheated moderately hot oven (190C/375F) for 15 minutes.  Serve hot with traditional Focaccia .

Our choice - Served with the newly released line of L.A. Cetto's White Zinfandel.

• 1 month later...

Every place is different.

In France  we eat oysters or ate oysters in months with an R. Now pretty much all year round but they are better in the winter months when they are not milky or too skinny.

I worked in oyster farm and the reality is that oysters spawn in July so just before spawning the oysters are very milky and after spawning that have just about nothing to eat and we do not eat them until they get a little fatte. We usually eat them at 3 after 3 years.

When I got to California I learned about the red tide which makes the oysters dangerous to eat and this correspond more or less to some months without R..  but not always so follow the arnig,

So you should follow the local customs.

It is a myth that you cannot eat the mussels if they do not open , but why tempt it.

Fresh mussels, take out the barb and take out shelfish from their shelves if they hae any.

Put them in a big ban with lots of black pepper, garlic and chopped shallerts  cver them and then when they start opening put a little flour, white wine and pasley andcook a little while and serve them on top of rice.

It is not until i got 70 that I found out that frozen mussels open just like live ones and are cooked the same way.