Chapala.com Webboard

Any Canadians who want to be vaxed.

Last Saturday I went online to get an appointment to be vaxed  In Laredo Texas I had the choice of Pfizer,  Moderna or J&J I choose J&J.  
Tuesday I drove to Laredo crossing at Colombia.. At the border I showed my Canadian passport I was asked the purpose of my visit to the US   I replied medical appointment, he said have a good day sir...  total time stopped at the US border 2 mins 

My appointment was for 10am Wednesday morning.. had to wait awhile for the vaccine to be delivered, the only ID  I showed them was my Mexican permanent resident card.. which they said was fine, all you require is a government issued photo ID, a drivers license is fine. It was around 10.45 I got the shot, no pain easy peasy... The people at the pharmacy were great.. they said they have several Canadians come there for the shot.. Spent the rest of Wednesday shopping, drove back today. While shopping I I noticed signs at several pharmacies saying   “ Vaccine available here, walk in’s welcome”   But if I was driving that far I would schedule an appointment and print off the form.. just in case the guy at the border wants to see it...

Despite what a certain person who posts to everything on this board  the border is open... And I was not alone so I do have a witness I also know a couple of Canadians who have driven back to Canada in the last couple of weeks with no issues at the US border.

• Like 4

It doesn't really matter what anyone says on this forum. However, many who posted that Canadians couldn't cross the land border between the U.S. and Mexico, also posted Government site links that confirmed it. So, you can roll the dice... or not. I'll wait until the official announcement on May 21st.

• Like 1

Yup. TelsZ4 won the lottery. Shopping AND a vaccine. I am happy for them but some of us are more cautious. There are many things that people like to take chances on... like driving a car with foreign plates when they shouldn't be or renting out a house and not paying the Mexican government taxes on the income or maintaining Canadian Health Insurance when they no longer live the minimum time required in Canada. Each to his/her own.

I did not say anything about not following the rules should be  allowed so there is no need to twist my words to suit your obvious needs. I was agreeing  with your " each to his/her own" and continued on with one should not be  judgmental of what others do.

Based on your many posts, it appears to some that it is very important to you to always be right and getting in the last word. So, I will end my part in this thread and let you continue on. I will comment no more.

Good luck May 21 as you roll the dice and hope that you come up with the number you want or maybe wait another month or two for another roll of the dice.

And this readers is how a post being shared by a helpful Canadian, TelsZ4,  explaining to others how he/she successfully crossed the border to get a vaccination was hijacked by another Canadian who wants her way to be THE way of doing things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

23 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Go have another coffee and lighten up. :)

And for anyone who can't drive to the border, here is another way...

McAllen flights (insidelakeside.com)

The McAllen flights are very limited; 2 northbound per week, 3 southbound per week

Volaris to LAX has early morning flights and late afternoon and evening flights DAILY.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

The McAllen flights are very limited; 2 northbound per week, 3 southbound per week

Volaris to LAX has early morning flights and late afternoon and evening flights DAILY.  

I'd hate to drive to the border only to get turned away. Not worth the gamble when cheap flights are an option.  We need more shots available here!

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, SunnyDaze said:

I'd hate to drive to the border only to get turned away. Not worth the gamble when cheap flights are an option.  We need more shots available here!

So I guess your glass is always empty ?
It depends on how you look at life. I never thought for one moment that we wouldn’t get across the border. This was an adventure and we got to shop at Macy’s JC Penny and Target and a few others store’s, had some great chicken wings at Hooters, and ate at a Texas Steak House.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

So I guess your glass is always empty ?
It depends on how you look at life. I never thought for one moment that we wouldn’t get across the border. This was an adventure and we got to shop at Macy’s JC Penny and Target and a few others store’s, had some great chicken wings at Hooters, and ate at a Texas Steak House.

I didn't intend it as a person attack on Your choice. I stated that I'd hate to drive all the way there and get turned back. I am glad it worked out so well for You.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Dostortas said:

TelsZ4, thanks so much for the info.  We’re considering doing exactly what you did.  How did you go about finding J&J vaccine in particular?  Any guidance is much appreciated.  

I went to the Health Mart Pharmacy.  Signed up on there web site.  Clicked on register for vaccine..   I listed my address as 7060 San Bernardo Avenue Laredo Texas 78041 which is the Days Inn  which I often stay at when I’m in Texas.. and where I stayed this time.  When you register for the vaccine you answer the health questions and  to put in your zip code for the closest location to you I used 78041.   The pharmacy is about a 7 minute drive from the hotel. It will show you the time slots available and the type of vaccine available I choose J&j.  Once you register they email you a copy of the form you have just filled out, print that out,  if you don’t have a printer take your phone or tablet to the print shop across the OXO and print it there   It really was very easy..  

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2021 at 8:20 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

Yes, and we are booked for the LAX flight...

This poster was very helpful to other Canadians seeking to enter the US by ground.   Note the purpose of visit  response should be "Medical Appointment".

2 hours ago, MexLuis said:

Yes, and we are booked for the LAX flight...

This poster was very helpful to other Canadians seeking to enter the US by ground.   Note the purpose of visit  response should be "Medical Appointment".

Yes you must commit a crime and lie to the immigration agent, and hope they don't ask you for an appointment slip or email for the appointment. 

On 5/14/2021 at 6:35 AM, Ferret said:

It doesn't really matter what anyone says on this forum. However, many who posted that Canadians couldn't cross the land border between the U.S. and Mexico, also posted Government site links that confirmed it. So, you can roll the dice... or not. I'll wait until the official announcement on May 21st.

I have Canadian friends who call the Us border every cople of days to be sure it is open as they wait for their second Vaccine down here  They have never been told by the border that Canadians cannot cross I would take that persons comment with a grain os salt I had no problem passing through the border with a Canadian frien to get our Vaccines in Laredo