Chapala.com Webboard

Nasal decongestant

Hi

I keep asking my pharmacist for a nasal decongestant say like mucinex. He speaks English pretty good but he keeps sending stuff ( i cant leave house on oxygen ) like iron pills or other stuff. Does anyone know brand names of Mexican companies that manufacture them? This might help, the mist dont work on me, so i need pills. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks. Have a good one. 

Call Farmacia Maskaras and speak to the English speaking jefe there. Explain your need for a pill form nasal decongestant. They deliver as well. 376-765-5827. I have found them to be enormously helpful. Suerte!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Call Farmacia Maskaras and speak to the English speaking jefe there. Explain your need for a pill form nasal decongestant. They deliver as well. 376-765-5827. I have found them to be enormously helpful. Suerte!

I agree. Ask for Ivan or Cleo. The other young man is pleasant and wants to be helpful but is not as knowledgeable.

• Like 1

While this (image is below),  is technically an anti-histamine, many people find it excellent as a decongestant, and without the side effects of things like sudafed / pseudefedrine, or the newer Claritin types.     English brand name(s) is Chlor-Trimeton or Chlor-Tripolon, chlorphenamine maleate 4 mg is the generic.    Little yellow pills, work great, not a half bad sleep aid either.

See the source image

• Thanks 1

Bayer withdrew 8mg chlor tripolon in 2005 (the most popular and dirt cheap) and the 12mg in 2018. The only reason appears to be they were no longer making enough money. Pills were available in quantity for less than a penny each. Then generic types disappeared too. Interesting to hear this above, because it is one that always worked extremely well, unlike so many of the varieties today that claim to do so.

8 hours ago, virgo lady said:

While this (image is below),  is technically an anti-histamine, many people find it excellent as a decongestant, and without the side effects of things like sudafed / pseudefedrine, or the newer Claritin types.     English brand name(s) is Chlor-Trimeton or Chlor-Tripolon, chlorphenamine maleate 4 mg is the generic.    Little yellow pills, work great, not a half bad sleep aid either.

See the source image

Where can we buy them?  Cost?  Thanks

I used to take them all, from Afrin to Claritin until I found salt water. Normal saline is water with a salt content equal to a body's fluids and is used to rinse out the plugged cavities. It also flushes out the allergens irritating the passages. A modern version of the neti pot.

• Like 1

There is concern in some quarters about use of NetiPots..... maybe because people aren't careful enough to keep them really clean?  That said, another easier alternative for you might be STERIMAR.....  metal container under some kind of pressure that squirts a dose of saline solution into the nostril/nasal cavity with aid of a little formed piece that fits into the nostril and comes off for easy cleaning.

Any farmacia will have it.  Spray each side, then tilt head one way or other. When done properly you can feel it into the back of your throat. Works really well......and you can use it several times a day. Buy the smaller one (100 ml) and if it works for you does come in larger one. Often used for babies, but  good for adults as well. (I first used it in a CAT... and believe me, that was a little tricky!)

2 hours ago, Floradude said:

Loratadina 4 mg every 12 hours IF Needed.   Antihistamine

HHmmm.... only loratadina (Claritin generic) I've found is 10 mg.  Recommended daily dose   one    /24 hours, best taken at night since it reaches maximum efficiency quite a few hours later.

10 minutes ago, Natasha said:

HHmmm.... only loratadina (Claritin generic) I've found is 10 mg.  Recommended daily dose   one    /24 hours, best taken at night since it reaches maximum efficiency quite a few hours later.

1620917245568-658861293.jpg

that's a combo with betamethasone...... and a drug one should not use lightly   it's a corticosteroid and has specific indication as well as side effects  google it for more info

as an aside, it's the drug found in minunte traces in post-race testing that the Kentucky Derby winner  1 1/2 weeks ago was nearly disqualified over!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Natasha said:

There is concern in some quarters about use of NetiPots..... maybe because people aren't careful enough to keep them really clean?  That said, another easier alternative for you might be STERIMAR.....  metal container under some kind of pressure that squirts a dose of saline solution into the nostril/nasal cavity with aid of a little formed piece that fits into the nostril and comes off for easy cleaning.

Any farmacia will have it.  Spray each side, then tilt head one way or other. When done properly you can feel it into the back of your throat. Works really well......and you can use it several times a day. Buy the smaller one (100 ml) and if it works for you does come in larger one. Often used for babies, but  good for adults as well. (I first used it in a CAT... and believe me, that was a little tricky!)

True for Netipots but no problem if you use distilled water and you should and run unit thru dishwasher . People have died from using clean tap water. Not likely I admit but it does happen.