Chapala.com Webboard

Crossing the Border from the US to Mexico Misplaced Passport getting a FMM and TIP

Gemini_70

Ok I have a valid passport but I have misplaced it. However, I have a photo of it, which shows the relevant info. I have plans to summer in Ajijic, and can't seem to get an appointment at a US Passport Agency due to Covid. I was thinking of applying for the FMM online using all of my valid information. When I cross the border do you think that the Customs and Immigration officials in Mexico would allow me passage. I do have my old expired passport. If I wasn't trying to get the TIP for driving my car I wouldn't worry about it. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

Here is the info on getting a replacement passport. You should be able to get a replacement passport.  It appears that as of today May 12th only Boston and Philadelphia are semi closed.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/lost-stolen.html#replacelost

https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds64.PDF

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies.html

If you are entering by plane a photocopy will absolutely not work.  If entering by car it will depend on luck at the inspection point. In any case you will need an actual passport to return to the USA

Thank you but I have the info you provided. I have been trying to make an online appointment at every Passport office from Washing Dc to the Mexican border, and there are no free appointments.  As for the return to the US... I have a photocopy of my valid passport I can report my passport as lost upon return to the US. I have done this with no problem when I had a passport stolen in the past. 

No country in the world will accept a photocopy of an official document like that. There is a reason for passports. It's why it is printed on currency paper, embossed, and etc.  If they do it would have to be by special arrangement and not at the border. Maybe getting back into home, but not getting into Mexico.

You can cross the boarder into Mexico without a Passport at numerous border crossings....and it seems no one from Mexican Immigration and Customs cares. I noted I did have an expired passport and its actually a picture not a photocopy of my current passport. I would think that the Immigration official would be happy to be taking the income in and also hopefully would be  understanding with all the Covid restrictions.

Well, I may stand corrected, but I have to speculate that it's the exception, otherwise everyone would be doing it all the time. Without doing too much Googleing, it's clear that a passport book or passport card is a requirement to get a temporary visa. Does this mean you don't get one when you enter? And how do you get out again? And you mention Covid: it is much harder to get in and out of most countries becasue of the pandemic, so ignoring a passport requirement seems a tad suspicious.

And it's your own query on two different threads that you've started, so if it's no problem and you've done it "at numerous crossings", I'm not sure why you are asking (note that a photocopy is a photo anyway).

Well maybe I wasn't clear I have entered via foot and by car with nothing to declare many times. I never got a FMM and was never asked for one as I left. I had my Passport all of those times. If I merely wanted to cross the border with out my passport I wouldn't worry at all. The difference is I plan on driving a car and need to obtain a TIP which also requires a FMM.  I can apply for and pay for both online. But you are supposed to then stop at the brooder and get the FFM stamped. I'm not trying to argue with anyone. If you don't have nay thing helpful to add please ignore my tread. 

1 hour ago, Gemini_70 said:

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

This is what you SAY.

This is what you MEAN-- Please only post comments that completely agree with my theory that I will not encounter any problems crossing into or out of Mexico without a valid passport. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gemini_70 said:

Well maybe I wasn't clear I have entered via foot and by car with nothing to declare many times. I never got a FMM and was never asked for one as I left. I had my Passport all of those times. If I merely wanted to cross the border with out my passport I wouldn't worry at all. The difference is I plan on driving a car and need to obtain a TIP which also requires a FMM.  I can apply for and pay for both online. But you are supposed to then stop at the brooder and get the FFM stamped. I'm not trying to argue with anyone. If you don't have nay thing helpful to add please ignore my tread. 

You are so welcome. I will ignore it now.

1 hour ago, Gemini_70 said:

Thank you but I have the info you provided. I have been trying to make an online appointment at every Passport office from Washing Dc to the Mexican border, and there are no free appointments.  As for the return to the US... I have a photocopy of my valid passport I can report my passport as lost upon return to the US. I have done this with no problem when I had a passport stolen in the past. 

Then follow the online application process & send it by courier. Do it today. 

Never heard of US immigration accepting photocopies , if they turn you back then what ?  

57 minutes ago, Gemini_70 said:

There are no requirements for an FMM  in the border zone, nor for an I-94 for Mexicans in the US border zone.  So crossing into the border zone on either side only requires a passport and for Mexican citizens into US a valid tourist visa.  There are checkpoints a few miles from both borders to check for full entry requirements.

• All travelers entering the United States from all other countries need a passport upon arrival (regardless of their country of citizenship).

• Permanent residents and foreign nationals may also need a U.S. visa. You must apply for a visa before you start your trip.

• U.S. citizens must present a valid U.S. passport book or card, in addition to an entry permit (Forma Migratoria Multiple or FMM) issued by Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM). Travelers should be sure to enter Mexico with valid proof of automobile registration, even if remaining in the border zone.

https://www.usa.gov/enter-us

Photocopies of passports and expired passports are never accepted in lieu of a current, valid passport. To think they would be is naive and laughable.

I once lost my passport in transit, driving, from Mexico to Canada. I did have photocopies of my passport, and when I got the Canadian border, the fact that I had a Canadian driver's license and other ID allowed me to get in. The passport copy was useful in that it allowed the immigration official to check it in the database, but they still kept me there at the border for a long time.

But I was re-entering a country of which I was a citizen, not trying to enter a foreign country without a valid passport.

On 5/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, AndyPanda said:
  • All travelers entering the United States from all other countries need a passport upon arrival (regardless of their country of citizenship).

• Permanent residents and foreign nationals may also need a U.S. visa. You must apply for a visa before you start your trip.

• U.S. citizens must present a valid U.S. passport book or card, in addition to an entry permit (Forma Migratoria Multiple or FMM) issued by Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM). Travelers should be sure to enter Mexico with valid proof of automobile registration, even if remaining in the border zone.

https://www.usa.gov/enter-us

The wording regarding FMM and passport card on this US gov website is poorly worded.

To obtain an FMM according to Migracion en Mexico

The applicant is aware that the card passport (Tarjeta Pasaporte) can only be used in the border crossings by land and for visiting the border zone; it might not be used to travel to the territory of the Mexican Republic or used for international air trips.

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

Really poor parsing Andy. The card will get you into the US but the people that issue TIPS have not read your post. I lived in the border zone before here and a TIP will not be granted to a passport card holder. One may be get a tourist card, I don't know, I always got a TIP too.

Not my parsing. Exact quotes, thus the link. And of course there are many more rules to be aware of... not my intention to delineate them here. Just hoping to help clarify what I originally said: NO ONE gets in without a passport either way, basically. Exceptions to the rule can be researched by those parties who may be interested.

And the only posts that actually disagree are from the OP, who came here to find out and then steadfastly refused to believe it. So now we have done his research for him.

Returning to the US from Nuevo Progresso here in the RGV is done differently. Two lines, one for passports and one for driver's licenses. Passport line is much shorter. They can't refuse admission to a US citizen. Proof of citizenship is discretionary at any and every border point.

On 5/13/2021 at 11:37 AM, pappysmarket said:

Returning to the US from Nuevo Progresso here in the RGV is done differently. Two lines, one for passports and one for driver's licenses. Passport line is much shorter. They can't refuse admission to a US citizen. Proof of citizenship is discretionary at any and every border point.

Pappy,,, Are you saying that I wouldn't have a problem that the passport isn't supposed to be checked getting these documents?

10 hours ago, Gemini_70 said:

Pappy,,, Are you saying that I wouldn't have a problem that the passport isn't supposed to be checked getting these documents?

Reread my post and draw your own conclusions. At the present time, at that particular POE that is what is happening. I can tell you want me to hold your hand but I don't work that POE, lol.

It may need to be an ENHANCED drivers license???

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/enhanced-drivers-license.html

Enhanced Driver's License for International Travel

A State-issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) provides travelers not only a license to drive but also a proof of identity and citizenship when exiting and re-entering the United States borders.

This card was created under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) to provide a convenient, yet secure way for travelers from certain border states to enter and exit the country. They provide travelers with a low-cost to a passport for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry.

An EDL qualifies as a REAL-ID that can be used for domestic air travel in the US. However, an EDL cannot be used for international air travel.

44 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

It may need to be an ENHANCED drivers license???

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/enhanced-drivers-license.html

Enhanced Driver's License for International Travel

A State-issued Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) provides travelers not only a license to drive but also a proof of identity and citizenship when exiting and re-entering the United States borders.

This card was created under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) to provide a convenient, yet secure way for travelers from certain border states to enter and exit the country. They provide travelers with a low-cost to a passport for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry.

An EDL qualifies as a REAL-ID that can be used for domestic air travel in the US. However, an EDL cannot be used for international air travel.

No, just an ordinary license. Hundreds, if not thousands of "Winter Texans" cross daily to Nuevo. It's Mexico but not Mexico...they don't want pesos, American dollars please. All prices are in dollars. Tons of farmacias, doctors, dentists, restaurants, pedi places and all the Mexican junk found elsewhere in Mexico. Way too many don't have a passport but you don't need one to cross into Mexico. Put your one dollar in coins in the turnstyle and you're in. CBP decided to get real and accept a license to get back in. They have discretion as to what "proves" citizenship and they have made their decision...at that POE and at this time. The line for licenses is usually 45 minutes long so tends to encourage bringing your passport.

19 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

No, just an ordinary license. Hundreds, if not thousands of "Winter Texans" cross daily to Nuevo. It's Mexico but not Mexico...they don't want pesos, American dollars please. All prices are in dollars. Tons of farmacias, doctors, dentists, restaurants, pedi places and all the Mexican junk found elsewhere in Mexico. Way too many don't have a passport but you don't need one to cross into Mexico. Put your one dollar in coins in the turnstyle and you're in. CBP decided to get real and accept a license to get back in. They have discretion as to what "proves" citizenship and they have made their decision...at that POE and at this time. The line for licenses is usually 45 minutes long so tends to encourage bringing your passport.

Lived 11+ years within a few miles of border between Naco AZ and Naco MX (both very small towns) so I understand daily crossers.  At one point they made a big push for Passport Cards.  They put up lots of signs and had notices in the Bisbee Safeway (where half the cars had Sonoran tags and they would take limited amounts of pesos).  

We always had passports so never thought to use DL.