Chapala.com Webboard

Travel Chapala, Piedras Negras, Ciudad Acuna

Planning a drive to Texas in late June or so.

Does anyone have a recommended hotel outskirts on west side Saltillo,

and one in Monclova,

and one in Ciudad Acuna?

I have a dog and a fully stuffed truck, and top of truck, so

1. night security parking will be paramount,

and

2. hotel needs to be dog friendly.

I just don't know how much driving we will do each day, thus the hotel questions

for each town.

Many thanks for any replies.

Most people driving up with dogs will stay at Las Palmas in Matehaula. Very pet friendly and the covered carport is right in front of your door. Nice restaurant and a Walmart nearby in case you forgot something, which it doesn't sound like you will. 

We used to travel in an RV and it was so common for RVers to get robbed in Monclova that all the travel blogs posted dire warnings against driving through there, and NEVER to spend the night there, even at a motel.

Matehaula is a nice drive from lakeside and from there we made it to Piedras Negra the next afternoon to cross, but nowadays we go to Laredo to cross. 

• Like 2

I second the Las Palmas in Matehaula. We stayed there in August on a drive down from Colombia Solidarity International Bridge crossing in North Laredo and it exceeded my expectations. Nice, safe, retro-style hotel with tasty, affordable restaurant.

7 hours ago, moonhill said:

We used to travel in an RV and it was so common for RVers to get robbed in Monclova that all the travel blogs posted dire warnings against driving through there, and NEVER to spend the night there, even at a motel.

While this USED TO BE the case in/around Monclova it is no longer the case... or at least no more of a problem than any other place.  Yes, there was a bypass so as to not drive right down through the middle of Monclova on Blvd. Harold Pape.... it was out through the community of Ciudad Frontera. Bad cops would wait in several spots on that bypass and were particularly bad on RV'ers. Monclova itself was not that bad.

Fast forward to several years ago when the population of Monclova rose up and demanded that this mordida stuff come to an end. Signs were put up everywhere along the main route calling out the bad cops and the municipality. As often happens in Mexico, it had the intended results and today Monclova is pretty much free of the practice!  The bypass out through Fontera... I don't know because I don't take it and RVers don't have to any more as Blvd Harold Pape is 6 lanes wide in places.

I have driven through and stayed in Monclova MANY times in the last 5-6 years and IMO Monclova is not only a very nice place these days but a safe place to drive through and stay the night in any of the several very nice/newer hotels along the main thoroughfare.

P.S.  I don't know of any places there that cater to dog families as I don't travel with one, but....    I would/could second the Las Palmas Matehuala as a place to stay that does. And although they do have a nice restaurant there, one would do themselves a favor to walk across the road to the La Noria restaurant for a real treat!

• Like 1

Thank you all. Very very helpful. Wonderful choice there at the northern tip of Saltillo at the Sheraton,

to go either way to the border, Laredo

or P/N or Ciudad Acuna.  The 3.5 hours to Nuevo Laredo and 5.5 hours to Ciudad Acuna will be an option to have.

Thanks again.