Chapala.com Webboard

Squash Blossoms

CHILLIN

18 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Never had stuffed squash blossoms, are they worth the bother? Way more blossoms than viable zucchinis.

I've had squash blossoms, filled with cheese, battered and fried at Jaleo's, a tapas restaurant  in Washington, D.C., owned by the famed Jose Andreas. I would not spend my time and energy cooking this item. Lots of work without the flavor. Enjoy the zucchini and throw out the blossoms.

12 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I discovered them at the Jacaranda restaurant in SMA and would not return without doing it again.

Different strokes for different folks. Chillin, you won't know until you try and taste the zucchini blossoms yourself. Let us know if it was worth the effort.

I've had stuffed Flor de Calabaza in Mexico as well as Fiori di Zucca in Italy. 

The blossoms have little flavor for me; it's the stuffing that carries the dish (as well as making a beautiful platter presentation).  Stuffings can range from chorizo and/or queso fresco in Mexico; to mostly ricotta (sometimes with chopped prosciutto) in Italy.  

I've had quesadillas de flor de calabaza at several eateries with the chopped flowers being the main filling.  Again, I get very little flavor from the blossoms themselves and mostly taste the cheese and other flavorings in the quesadilla.  

In Italy they are sometimes offered unstuffed, simply fried in a delicious light crisp batter--I like them best like that, get a little more of the flavor of the blossom.   

Squash blossom soup is good but I only made it once. No matter how many times I rinsed the squash blossoms I couldn't get all the sand out of them. :( In San Miguel Restaurants, it was divine and the blossoms have a very light peppery taste to them. You will see the Campbell's soup variety locally... Flor de Calabaza.

• 1 month later...