Chapala.com Webboard

Jocotepec second dose. Where you turned away using your real last name

Every letter of the alphabet was allowed each day that the vacunas were given...you merely stood on the lines that listed your first initial of your last name...ie ABC or HIJ etc. I was with numerous senior USA and Canadian people and NONE were turned away if you had the paperwork that been requested...you did have to show the receipt for your first shot to be able to be given the second shot. We had an appointment for both shots and were in and out in two hours for each event.

On 5/7/2021 at 5:32 PM, AndyPanda said:

The volunteers when I got it done knew perfectly well that expats only go by two names.

I think the Mexicans use TWO last names and the foreigners usually ONE last name.  Some Brits will have two hyphenated last names.  Just about everybody will have a first and middle name.

Mexicans use two family names, patrinomial and matrinomial, after their given name.

European derived names are entirely different and do not fit the hispanic pattern, nor do they identify the mother's family name at all.  Note that Mexican women do not change their names when they get married.

The terms, first, middle, and last names do not apply to Mexican names. 

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Mexicans use two family names, patrinomial and matrinomial, after their given name.

European derived names are entirely different and do not fit the hispanic pattern, nor do they identify the mother's family name at all.  Note that Mexican women do not change their names when they get married.

Actually Many Mexicans have a first and middle name in addition to the 2 last names. 

Many of my Mexican friends only used apodos (nicknames).  Heck, many of them do not even know each other's given names although they grew up together since kinder.

I learned that lesson when stopped on a dirt bike in the mountains of northern Michoacan near Cotija de la Paz.    After being stopped by the local "jovenes" and questioned I told them my friend in the nearby town was Juan Carlos Chavez.  Never heard of him.  At least I had cell phone reception so I called Juan Carlos and told him that the guys who stopped me did not know him.  He said, tell them I am Quincea, his nickname.  Problem solved.  The driver gave me his cell phone number and told me if I ever needed anything to call.  Gracias.

On 5/7/2021 at 4:09 PM, sm1mex said:

México puts gringos last name as the persons middle name. Like John Doe smith. They consider doe  as the last name so if a person went on to S day for Smith were they turned away?

Mexico does not do anything , you give your names and you are responsible for correcting it if it is not correct.  It is pretty insane to let someone put a name that is not correct on official papers.. Talking about asking for troubles..

Just now, RVGRINGO said:

Spaniards are Europeans and they use the paternal and maternal name.. You cannot make wide statements aout 27 different countries and put them all as Europeans.

• Like 1

Just now, RVGRINGO said:

Spaniards are Europeans and they use two names..  patrimonial and matrimonial  and there are 26 more countries who each ones have their own way to handle the names of the last names. Actually the rules have changed in France and you can name the kid by the father or the mother s name or any combination but you must have the same combination for all the kids..

On 5/7/2021 at 4:09 PM, sm1mex said:

México puts gringos last name as the persons middle name. Like John Doe smith. They consider doe  as the last name so if a person went on to S day for Smith were they turned away?

No they do not....   if you get a curp they put an X as your mother’s last name since gringos do not use that.    Many Mexicans  have first and middle names, then their last name (which is their father’s last name) then their mother’s last name.   

you have been here many years I hear, so you should know this.  

• Thanks 1