Chapala.com Webboard

Buying a new cell phone

Is there somepalce that you can buy a new cell phone where they wil transfer all your data? The last time I bought one two teenagers I know transferred the data from my old one. It was a lon g process.

How long ago did you buy your current phone?  We got a new Android about a year ago and the transfer process was very easy, fast, simple.  Basically the two phones "talked" to each other and everything transferred in literally a few minutes.  

As others have mentioned, if you have a Google account and get a new Android phone now, it is now fast and easy and automated, built into the startup of the new phone, you really almost can't avoid having it done for you.         Way different than just a few years ago.

4 hours ago, Floradude said:

The main Telcel office will do this for you.  They will install anything you want, pictures, contacts, etc. 

I have done it and I took a friend there and they helped her.

I went to the Telcell store in Laguna Mall today and they were not very helpful

45 minutes ago, cedros said:

I went to the Telcell store in Laguna Mall today and they were not very helpful

I purchased a new phone there a couple of months ago.

The sales rep was bilingual and extremely helpful.

He transferred all of the data from my old phone onto the new phone and gave me his personal cell phone number in case I had any questions.

The staff attitude depends on the day and the person, and also on the desk clerk who directs you. They are not obligated to do anything more than sell you contracts and activate phones. Lucky one day, unlucky the next. It's all about who likes to deal with the public and who just wants to get out at quitting time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Floradude said:

Cedros, had you purchased the phone there?

Yes, 5 years ago. I was looking for a new one.  Telcell was promoting Oppo brand of cell phone today.

what type of phone do you have: Android, iPhone or Windows? Staff at Telcel store seem to know Android the best. And if you switch, say from iPhone to Android, some apps and data can be transferred, but its more complex, and Telcel staff might be less helpful. If your new phone is the same system, transfer is easy. For the past few years, all three (Android, iPhone and Windows) automatically backup apps/data, unless you or the teens who setup your phone intentionally turned off the backup feature.

8 minutes ago, InChapala1 said:

what type of phone do you have: Android, iPhone or Windows? Staff at Telcel store seem to know Android the best. And if you switch, say from iPhone to Android, some apps and data can be transferred, but its more complex, and Telcel staff might be less helpful. If your new phone is the same system, transfer is easy. For the past few years, all three (Android, iPhone and Windows) automatically backup apps/data, unless you or the teens who setup your phone intentionally turned off the backup feature.

Android. I would prefer to transfer to the same.

you can confirm your data is backed up on Android: open the Settings app on your Android phone and tap on System > Backup. There should be a switch labeled "Back up to Google Drive." If it's turned off, turn it on.

Once this is done, staff at Telcel should (hopefully) help you transfer all apps and data.

30 minutes ago, InChapala1 said:

you can confirm your data is backed up on Android: open the Settings app on your Android phone and tap on System > Backup. There should be a switch labeled "Back up to Google Drive." If it's turned off, turn it on.

Once this is done, staff at Telcel should (hopefully) help you transfer all apps and data.

Thanks. It is turned on.

On 5/7/2021 at 5:29 PM, AndyPanda said:

And the first thing that happens when you buy a new Android phone, after setting the basics, is an app automatically starts that asks if you want to transfer from your old phone to your new. And then steps you through it.

It sounds easy.

On 5/7/2021 at 9:29 AM, Floradude said:

The main Telcel office will do this for you.  They will install anything you want, pictures, contacts, etc. 

I have done it and I took a friend there and they helped her.

I went there Sunday and they had none on display. I asked the girl at the entrance desk and she said get a ticket and wait. Wait an hour or so to ask about a product!? Time to go to Plaza Teconlogia in Guadalajara.

1 hour ago, cedros said:

I went there Sunday and they had none on display. I asked the girl at the entrance desk and she said get a ticket and wait. Wait an hour or so to ask about a product!? Time to go to Plaza Teconlogia in Guadalajara.

Or go on a weekday after 10 am when the majority of locals are at work.