Chapala.com Webboard

A major cause of vaccine hesitancy

20 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

The likelihood of someone dying in a car accident today is many times higher than the likelihood of dying from receiving a vaccine.  Do these antivaxers still drive?

First, just because you are not in a rush to get the shot doesn't mean you're "anti-vaxx." I choose not to take the shot for my own personal, STRONG reasons and getting called an anti-vaxxer or a right wing nutjob (wow, show that love to your fellow posters!) is not only offensive, but just flat out wrong. 

Your car analogy is just weird. I can control my actions behind the wheel, I can't control yours. So, does that mean I stop driving? In your version, since you know there are others that you might meet who haven't had the vax, do you stay indoors 24/7?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is an ad showing continuously on some TV channels in the U.S.... The short version is "Until the vaccine is everywhere, this pandemic isn't going anywhere". Everyone will do what is correct for themselves. I want the vaccine and my preference will be the Pfizer. Until I can get it, I'll just continue the safety precautions that I've had in place for over a year.

‘Turning the Corner’: U.S. Covid Outlook Reaches Most Hopeful Point Yet (msn.com)

• Like 4

On 5/5/2021 at 1:36 PM, Jreboll said:

You also have to think of the common good.  Much was accomplished against polio, small pox and others because we were of one mind.  Now a little virus is going to defeat us because it can mutate and outthink us and we’re paralyzed with fear.

If you read up about what actually happened with the polio vaccine you might be a little more suspicious.....the first vaccine caused 30,000 cases of polio and was withdrawn.  At the same time the USA started polio vaccination British and French cases dropped by 85% with no vaccination.  Why?  The virus had mutated to a form that no longer caused paralysis.  The only virulent polio virus is in the vaccines.  Read up on Bill Gates and his polio vaccination programs in Africa and India.Did you know that Pasteur repudiated his own work at the end of his life?  He said,"I was wrong, germs are there for everyone, it's the territory (immune system) that matters."  The last time I had a vaccine was in 1969, I was in the last group to have the small pox vaccine mandatory for college and it was 3 needles in a cup delivered to the skin.  Injection of vaccines makes no sense from the viewpoint of your immune system, it's designed for germs coming in from the nose, mouth, eyes, digestive system and skin.  I think the so called antibodies are proof only of irritation, not immunity.  My father was paralysed for 2 years after a flu shot in 1977, luckily he recovered,but I'll put my faith in my immune system every time. And I haven't driven a car since 1973, so I'll be careful crossing the carretera....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

Why is everyone so insistent on scaring themselves and others with obtuse stories? That vaccine was not regulated, or tested, nor manufactured or inspected properly. The government didn't have the experience at the time and neither did the company. " The lack of experience and expertise at Cutter Laboratories, undetected by the inspectors, caused the disaster."

I think it is pretty safe to say things are a tad better today.

I'm just looking for that cartoon I saw that shows you at your computer yelling to your wife: "Look, dear, I just found something on the internet that all the doctors and experts and scientists missed!"

While you are being careful crossing that carretera, make sure you don't come anywhere near me.

• Like 1

To each his/her own but I get vaccines regularly... and as proof that they work is the fact that I have been driving a car since well before 1973.....😉

But on a serious note, could you further explain your statement, given as fact it sounds like, that the " Injection of vaccines makes no sense from the viewpoint of your immune system....".  At least at one point later you said, "I think...."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cafemediterraneo said:

,......  Injection of vaccines makes no sense from the viewpoint of your immune system, it's designed for germs coming in from the nose, mouth, eyes, digestive system and skin.  I think the so called antibodies are proof only of irritation, not immunity. 

Facts matter;

https://www.providence.org/news/uf/615873855

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibody

(for example, by blocking a part of a virus that is essential for its invasion)."

On 5/5/2021 at 5:54 PM, timjwilson said:

As with antibodies, the numbers of different immune cell types varied substantially between individuals.

I think that some people who have had the disease and no vaccination will have enough antibodies to ward off future serious infection. Peoples' immune systems are so different. I have never had a flu shot, am 71 years old, and haven't had the flu or even a cold in 25 years. I have zero medical issues, knock on wood. And I'm a smoker. My father died at the age of 92, only because he had a bad fall. He had nothing medically wrong with him, took no medications. No heart disease, no high blood pressure, no diabetes, no cancers, none of the myriad medical issues that most people have to deal with at some point.

Some people never got sick from the black plague or the Spanish flu, or smallpox, even though they were surrounded by infected people. 

I'll still get vaxxed for Covid, though, I'm just waiting to have an opportunity for the Pfizer or Moderna.

• Like 2

Throughout history epidemics have occurred.  If only those with good genes had survived then we would all be descendants of those survivors and we would all have.good genes.  One thing for sure, we all have an Achilles heel.  The right pathogen at the right time will bring you down irregardless of your good genes.

5 hours ago, Jreboll said:

If only those with good genes had survived then we would all be descendants of those survivors and we would all have.good genes

The good genes, just like the genes which determine physical characteristics, change over generations and are dependent on procreation between individuals. Although I seem to have inherited my dad's good immune system, my mother had a lot of health problems and my brother inherited some of the same health issues she had.

If people with strong immune systems only procreated with others like that, then those genes would be passed down pretty much intact. But that isn't what happens.

On 5/5/2021 at 9:13 PM, virgo lady said:

Now 3 deaths in Canada from A-Z....and counting.   I think they are going to have to stop using the word "rare".......

Coronavirus: What's happening in Canada and around the world on Tuesday | CBC News

Both Alberta and Ontario have stopped A-Z first doses......saying "they have plenty of mRNA supply now"    😉