Chapala.com Webboard

Chinese vaccines

The Sydney Morning Herald reports:

"Singapore: China’s top two vaccines (Sinovac and Sinopharm?)could be approved by the World Health Organisation for global distribution within days, providing a potential boost to vaccine capacity of 3 billion doses a year."

• Thanks 2

• cedros changed the title to Chinese vaccines
2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

It says there MAY be unknown side effects. Life is full of risks. My 90+ year old friend used to walk for miles every day. One day she was walking on an uneven sidewalk, tripped, fell, hit her head on a concrete lightpole and died.

• Thanks 1

WHO has now approved the Sinopharm vaccine which is good news for many people in the third world.

Who and where is this "third world" ?  It must someplace so unique that people living there or travelling there are so different that you can´t believe your eyes if you are from the "first" or "second" worlds.  Maybe just a lot more people make it a "third" world ?

From Wikipedia: The term Third World was originally coined in times of the Cold War to distinguish those nations that are neither aligned with the West (NATO) nor with the East, the Communist bloc. Today the term is often used to describe the developing countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Australia/Oceania.

5 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

From Wikipedia: The term Third World was originally coined in times of the Cold War to distinguish those nations that are neither aligned with the West (NATO) nor with the East, the Communist bloc. Today the term is often used to describe the developing countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Australia/Oceania.

Yeah, I know what it meant 50 years ago.  A lot of things are developing in the US, the last few years as well

• Like 1

17 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Yeah, I know what it meant 50 years ago.  A lot of things are developing in the US, the last few years as well

17 hours ago, slainte39 said:

It still means the same as it did 50 years ago whether you like it or not-developing.

• Like 1

I have had two Sinovac vaccines. After a bit I had the new antibody test specific to this vaccine. It showed that I had lots of antibodies. Before that people wrote that Sinovac's data was questionable- not enough evidence for the company's claims. Ha! My test results today showed that I had lots of antibodies. I wonder if the same will happen with Sinopharm.

Remember that the vaccine business is very profitable and competitive and  people like to run down their competitors without any evidence.

3 hours ago, cedros said:

I have had two Sinovac vaccines. After a bit I had the new antibody test specific to this vaccine. It showed that I had lots of antibodies. Before that people wrote that Sinovac's data was questionable- not enough evidence for the company's claims. Ha! My test results today showed that I had lots of antibodies. I wonder if the same will happen with Sinopharm.

Remember that the vaccine business is very profitable and competitive and  people like to run down their competitors without any evidence.

The fact that you had lots of antibodies is great. It does not, however, change the fact that there is “not enough evidence for the company's claims, test groups too small to be scientifically valid, etc.” The company’s claims may be 100% valid and will one day be proved scientifically with studies large enough to provide the necessary data. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cedros said:

Did you even read the article? It was a report from experts at WHO, not vaccine competitors.

13 hours ago, mudgirl said:

What the article mainly says is that their data is questionable- not enough evidence for the company's claims, test groups too small to be scientifically valid, etc.

Obviouly a bias report

• Haha 1

Having antibodies is not the be all and end all. Think of ALL the things that you've been exposed to over the years to which your body has produced antibodies. Those antibodies are not all still circulating in your blood stream. That is where B cells and T cells come into play. They hold the memory of what to produce and under what circumstances.

Edited to add: this further grass roots explanation...

Coronavirus: B cells and T cells explained (theconversation.com)

13 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Did you even read the article? It was a report from experts at WHO, not vaccine competitors.

I read where it says " overall confidence in its ability to prevent the disease". 

14 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Oh, come on, Mudgirl. Who you going to believe: scientific experts from the World Health Organization or anonymous old geezers spouting off on a local web board about their personal experience? 😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

A neighbour got very excited when he read that a million doses of Sinovac arrived at Mexico City Thursday as he is still waiting for his first vaccination. I suggested that he be patient as no ones seems to know if any will make their way to Jocotepec. I will try and find him a lot as he is 90 and has problems following this.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:29 PM, slainte39 said:

Who and where is this "third world" ?  It must someplace so unique that people living there or travelling there are so different that you can´t believe your eyes if you are from the "first" or "second" worlds.  Maybe just a lot more people make it a "third" world ?

It is that.

19 hours ago, Xena said:

Oh, come on, Mudgirl. Who you going to believe: scientific experts from the World Health Organization or anonymous old geezers spouting off on a local web board about their personal experience? 😆

Why not believe people who post bigoted remarks  like X?

14 hours ago, Ferret said:

Having antibodies is not the be all and end all. Think of ALL the things that you've been exposed to over the years to which your body has produced antibodies. Those antibodies are not all still circulating in your blood stream. That is where B cells and T cells come into play. They hold the memory of what to produce and under what circumstances.

Coronavirus: B cells and T cells explaine

14 hours ago, Ferret said:

Coronavirus: B cells and T cells explained (theconversation.com)

A raher simplified version of things. Having antibodies is key.

15 hours ago, Floradude said:

That is great news Cedros.  If I ever get my second shot of Sinovac I will follow your example and check the levels after about 1 month.  I suggest you (we) also check in about 6 months again.

Good idea.

On 5/8/2021 at 9:46 PM, mudgirl said:

Of course they are competitors

• Sad 1