Chapala.com Webboard

I went to see my Doctora today in Jocotepec on another matter. I mentioned that I had had 2 Sinovac vaccines and that I would like to have the appropriate antibody test done in a few weeks to see if I was producing the right antibodies. She said why wait as there is a new test for antibodies that you can get in Guadalajara at the best lab in the city. I think it is a bit early but we proceeded. I get the results Friday. I will report back on the results and may have the test again in a few weeks. 

I will see what results come back and maybe plan to test again in a few weeks. Antibodies show up within a week sometimes.

And if you have antibodies as you would from the shots after a month or so, and those show up on your test, will the airlines still let you fly into the U.S.?

My brother has had both Pfizer over a month ago.  When we test him before he flies home he'll likely show antibodies.  He will also be carrying verification of his vaccinations.  Is he going to have a problem trying to go home?

12 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

They do.  We know that.  When tested he will show antibodies.  Then what?

He's NOT going to take the antibody test to fly to US.  He only takes the antigen test.  The antigen test doesn't test for antibodies.  Not an issue for him.  btw, we have been fully vax'd since Feb.  Have taken 4 antigen tests to fly to US since then; all negative.  Took one an hour ago for Friday flight to US.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

They do.  We know that.  When tested he will show antibodies.  Then what?

The test needed is either an Antigen or PCR test.   An Antibody test will only tell if he has had Coronavirus in the past. It will not serve for entry to the USA.

As to testing for antibodies after a vaccination you would need a specific test to look for the specific antibodies produced by the type of vaccine you received.

According to the CDC testing for antibodies after receiving a vaccine is a waste of time and money.  

All antibody tests are not the same. The test for someone who had COVID-19, derived from community spread or close contact, is different than the test given to a vaccinated person who has not had COVID-19.

The antibody tests for somebody who has a natural infection looks at a specific part of the coronavirus. Whereas the vaccines target a different part of the coronavirus. So, it’s possible to be vaccinated and get one of the routine anti-body tests and have that be negative, because that’s looking for a different antibody against a different part of the virus,

29 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

And if you have antibodies as you would from the shots after a month or so, and those show up on your test, will the airlines still let you fly into the U.S.?

My brother has had both Pfizer over a month ago.  When we test him before he flies home he'll likely show antibodies.  He will also be carrying verification of his vaccinations.  Is he going to have a problem trying to go home?

I don't fly into the US

22 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

I think even vaccinated people still have to have the antigen test within 72 hours of flying to enter the US. 

I don't go to the US

3 minutes ago, cedros said:

I don't fly into the US

And 90% says your antibody test will be negative unless the laboratory has the specific antibody test to look for the specific type your vaccine is designed to produce. 

The antibody tests for somebody who has a natural infection looks at a specific part of the coronavirus. Whereas the vaccines target a different part of the coronavirus. So, it’s possible to be vaccinated and get one of the routine anti-body tests and have that be negative, because that’s looking for a different antibody against a different part of the virus,

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 9:17 AM, Mostlylost said:

The test needed is either an Antigen or PCR test.   An Antibody test will only tell if he has had Coronavirus in the past. It will not serve for entry to the USA.

As to testing for antibodies after a vaccination you would need a specific test to look for the specific antibodies produced by the type of vaccine you received.

According to the CDC testing for antibodies after receiving a vaccine is a waste of time and money.  

All antibody tests are not the same. The test for someone who had COVID-19, derived from community spread or close contact, is different than the test given to a vaccinated person who has not had COVID-19.

The antibody tests for somebody who has a natural infection looks at a specific part of the coronavirus. Whereas the vaccines target a different part of the coronavirus. So, it’s possible to be vaccinated and get one of the routine anti-body tests and have that be negative, because that’s looking for a different antibody against a different part of the virus,

It depends what antibody test you do . My docotor says they have new tests now so the CDC is not up to date.  I asked at that large lab by Pancho's deli today and they thought that the CDC has not recognized the new test yet.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

And 90% says your antibody test will be negative unless the laboratory has the specific antibody test to look for the specific type your vaccine is designed to produce. 

The antibody tests for somebody who has a natural infection looks at a specific part of the coronavirus. Whereas the vaccines target a different part of the coronavirus. So, it’s possible to be vaccinated and get one of the routine anti-body tests and have that be negative, because that’s looking for a different antibody against a different part of the virus,

Apparently the lab has the specific antibody test I need.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cedros said:

It depends what antibody test you do . My docotor says they have new tests now so the CDC is not up to date.  

Yes I am sure your doctor knows more than the all experts. And that this lab in Guadalajara has received the specific test needed to identify the antibodies your vaccine produced. (doubtful) Or maybe they contacted Sinovac in China and had them send the specific test reagents needed. 

Before spending the money you might want to ask your doctor or the actual laboratory, what specific antibody this "new" test looks for. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cedros said:

It depends what antibody test you do . My docotor says they have new tests now so the CDC is not up to date.  

... I just love it!  

FLASH!   Doctor in small Mexican village of Jocotopec goes one-up on the CDC's knowledge of testing for antibodies.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

He's NOT going to take the antibody test to fly to US.  He only takes the antigen test.  The antigen test doesn't test for antibodies.  Not an issue for him.  btw, we have been fully vax'd since Feb.  Have taken 4 antigen tests to fly to US since then; all negative.  Took one an hour ago for Friday flight to US.  

Thank you!

21 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

btw, we have been fully vax'd since Feb.  Have taken 4 antigen tests to fly to US since then....took one an hour ago for another Friday flight to the US.

WOW!  That's got to be some kind of record for someone who isn't actually flying due to a job or something.

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Yes I am sure your doctor knows more than the all experts. And that this lab in Guadalajara has received the specific test needed to identify the antibodies your vaccine produced. (doubtful) Or maybe they contacted Sinovac in China and had them send the specific test reagents needed. 

Before spending the money you might want to ask your doctor or the actual laboratory, what specific antibody this "new" test looks for. 

It seems unikely but who knows. I like to check things out rather than believe everything that is written.. 

So the real question is 

When your test comes back negative .. which 90% says it will....  What will you have learned and what will you do?

And if by some miracle this laboratory has received the specific antigen test needed for your vaccine and you test positive ,,, What will you have learned and what will you do?

On 5/5/2021 at 9:32 AM, Mostlylost said:

Both the lab by Poncho's deli and my doctora thought that the CDC was not up to date with the new test yet. Who knows? My doctora said don't believe everything you read about the various vaccines and tests as they are big business and are tackling each other over selling vaccines. I just like to check for myself. The CDC is an American organization and is more focused on American vaccines. WHO has a wider mandate.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:02 AM, Mostlylost said:

So the real question is 

When your test comes back negative .. which 90% says it will....  What will you have learned and what will you do?

And if by some miracle this laboratory has received the specific antigen test needed for your vaccine and you test positive ,,, What will you have learned and what will you do?

I am not prejudging the test results nor should you. It does not take a miracle to have the specific test needed according to several quality labs. If my test is negative I will redo it in several weeks. That seems like the obvious thing to do rather than guesssing in advance. 

1 hour ago, cedros said:

The CDC is an American organization and is more focused on American vaccines. WHO has a wider mandate.

There is only one "American  vaccine" Moderna.  So you are saying they do not have up to date information on any other type of vaccine? Or up to date information on how antibody tests work?

The WHO has no information available regarding specific antibody tests 

I am reminded of the saying "don't confuse me with the facts or logic.... my mind is made up.

You could save yourself a lot of time and trouble and just buy an antibody test to do at home.... 

https://www.fahorro.com/kit-prueba-anticuerpos-covid19-para-aplicacion-personal.html